1500 cal a day and starving

Options
I'm short - 5'2, I'm overweight - 306 ( the highest and most terrifying weight I have ever been) and I'm trying to lose 100lbs safely.
I am back to mfp after 2 years of ignoring my body and what it needs. I'm constantly tired and have moved from an extremely active job to a desk job. I'm trying to exercise but my motivation is lacking.

My question here for people is how do you do it!?! I feel like I'm starving at 1500 cal, no mater what I eat or drink (water and black coffee) I don't feel full, and poof all my daily calls are gone. I've been trying to eat ever few hours but that makes the hunger worse. Any advice to filling foods with low cal?

Replies

• Lioness_1978
    Lioness_1978 Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It also helps if you do not drink calories. A real soda fiend can "poof" their calories for the day without touching solid food. It also helps if you eat 8 servings of vegetables low in calorie density. Thinks like cabbage, carrots, squash, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. That bulks up your belly without a lot of calories.
    Another thing that will help you particularly is to get a kitchen scale and and start cooking your own food. Once you get away from the drive-through fast food, you learn that it's easy to make delicious, nutritious, and filling food.

Also, get back into your Settings and make sure that your age, height, weight, and activity level are all truthful. That 1500 calorie limit doesn't make any sense to me. It should be higher, even with Sedentary activity and no exercise, for a 306 lb person.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Things that help me stay satisfied on 1200 calories (short and older female)...

Protein/carb/fat with every meal
    At least 48oz water
    7-8 hrs of sleep (lack of sleep causes stress hormones to increase making one feel hungrier)
    I eat a brunch and early dinner w/1 or 2 snacks (eating more frequently makes me hungrier)

Hope this helps!
    best.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm short - 5'2, I'm overweight - 306 ( the highest and most terrifying weight I have ever been) and I'm trying to lose 100lbs safely.
    I am back to mfp after 2 years of ignoring my body and what it needs. I'm constantly tired and have moved from an extremely active job to a desk job. I'm trying to exercise but my motivation is lacking.

My question here for people is how do you do it!?! I feel like I'm starving at 1500 cal, no mater what I eat or drink (water and black coffee) I don't feel full, and poof all my daily calls are gone. I've been trying to eat ever few hours but that makes the hunger worse. Any advice to filling foods with low cal?

I tried for 20 years to lose weight. I could never stick to it because I was always hungry and would cave, and binge, and put it all back on again. 4 years ago, I went low carb. And I have stuck to it for 4 years. And I have lost 70lbs. The carbs/insulin cycle is what causes hunger. When you cut back your carbs and eat protein and fat your hunger is much more controllable. I eat 1400 cals a day now, and I'm never hungry. I can go til mid afternoon without needing to eat. I don't binge. I can easily resist the office cake. At the start it took a month or so to get to this point but I'll never go back.

I used to be one of those people who ate to the point of being full, all day. I would go through the drive through on the way home from work and get a burger to eat in the car, and then go home and eat a big dinner. I had no control over my eating at all.

If you're interested/serious have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i am 5'11" and was 350 pounds in January 2016. I started eating low carb high fat (LCHF) and was able to reduce my cals to 1200 to 1500 without feeling hungry or having cravings. I lost 120 pounds in 11 months without exercise. Then i started experimenting and have been at a plateau for about a month.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    At your weight (I'm the same height and started at 211 lbs), you can probably eat more, close to 1700-1800 calories or even more. And if you exercise, eat at least half of those calories back.

Another thing to focus on would be protein and fiber, as those will keep you fuller longer. Also, when I first started, I did have a small adjustment period where I felt hungry all the time, but I found focusing on the protein and eating an appropriate amount of calories while still in a deficit fixed that.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I second the above, too low cals but also I'd say "way too low". I'm 100lbs lighter than you and 10 years older and can lose on 1800-2000 (I'm lightly active).
  • Aftronthegreat
    Aftronthegreat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everone! I honestly never considered lowering my goal loss, which is currently at 2lbs a week. I am for sure going to try more fiber and low carb. I am off pop (have been for months) but really need to work on drinking more water! I think for now I may need to adjust the goal to get my body use to less!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've been at that weight. Started heavier. I think you need to adjust your calories, increase water, and make sure you get a ton of sleep. Tired usually makes us eat. IMO, I would aim for 1900-2100 and some exercise. Start slow, it's not a race.

If you start to crazily you will have trouble maintaining it and many quit. Remember the story, turtle and the hare?

As for feeling hungry, protein is your friend. Make sure you take a little longer at the grocery store reading labels. Over time you will learn to negotiate your food. Today I want guacamole and lime tortilla chips, so I ate a reasonable amount and am eating a lighter dinner. Compromise.

start with minimal loss first. Get your head in the right place. Without your noggin being convinced it will be tough.

The gym has been a great Help for me. I go everyday. Some days I count the seconds and take it easy and some days are kick butt days! I have made it a habit. The hardest part of exercise for me was getting myself there. Once I'm there, seems like a waste of time if I don't do it. Plus, I actually decided I like the feeling after exercise so much. I feel like I've completed accomplished something. I take a pic of the cardio machine so I can track getting better and I also take a post workout "sweat pic" to send to my sister. I'm sure she ignores it but it holds me accountable.

Good luck. Just remember you got this!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1500 seems low. I'm 5'4" 130lbs and I would lose a little weight eating 1500. Is that the goal MFP gave you?

Different people are satiated by different things, but generally, if your protein, fat, and/or fiber are low, bumping them up can help.

I know not everyone is comfortable doing so, but if you open your diary something might jump out at us as well.
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, weight 203lbs, and I eat between 1500-1700 calories a day losing about 2-3lbs a week. You're heavier than me, so you can definitely lose a lot of weight eating more calories than I am. Losing weight shouldn't be a miserable experience, because if it is, how will you manage to continue? Eat more, and although it might take a little longer to come off, it'll be worth it, because you'll keep it off! I ignored what MFP set for me, used a TDEE calculator instead and set my calorie goal as that.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks everone! I honestly never considered lowering my goal loss, which is currently at 2lbs a week. I am for sure going to try more fiber and low carb. I am off pop (have been for months) but really need to work on drinking more water! I think for now I may need to adjust the goal to get my body use to less!

Sometimes even if we have the body weight to support a 2 lb/week loss, if it makes us feel deprived & unhappy and we aren't able to stick with it long term, it doesn't help us. 1 lb/week may take longer, but may give you a greater chance of success.

Lowering carbs is OK if you are going to be comfortable eating that way long-term. Again, it comes down to how sustainable it is for you. If you would miss carbs and start to crave them, it could lead to binges & be counter-productive. But if the foods you really love are low-carb, go for it. Do be aware that changing back & forth between low and higher carb eating results in some pretty major fluctuations on the scale due to water weight. When you first limit carbs, you will likely see a big initial drop, and if you thereafter splurge or introduce more carbs, that water weight comes back, but it's not actual fat gain/loss. Wish you success! :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting made all the difference for me. Since I'm not really hungry in the morning I skip it till around 11 or 12, than have 2 decent sized meals (and actually feel satisfied which I could never do eating several small meals) and even have enough left over for snacks at night.
  • kpdoney
    kpdoney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good suggestions in the responses. Low carb, for example, has worked for me in the past too (helps manage sugar drops, makes you feel full longer). However, my recommendation would be to visit with a nutritionist. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable around food, calorie goals, and nutrition, but then I met with a nutritionist who gave me hard facts that helped me create meal plans that work for me. Who knew that my insurance covers up to 3 visits to a nutritionist per year? Yup. I'm also a huge fan of the Apple watch. The way it integrates with Myfitnesspal makes it super easy to see just what I gain in terms of additional calories for the day each time I exercise. I find it incredibly rewarding to see those numbers add up. I'm eating 1500 calories per day too (that's what my nutritionist - and Myfitnesspal - said will help me lose 1/2 pound per week for my age, height, weight, and sedentary job). However, I also have to eat low fat, low sodium, and low carb due to a health issue, which leaves little variety from which to choose. What works for me is exercising (try watching TV shows on your iPad while on the treadmill/elliptical as a reward) - because it gives me more calories to consume for the day but also because it seems to regulate my overall hunger for the day; eating low carb (try recipes from any of the South Beach Diet books); cooking ahead of time and/or having a meal plan for the week (try recipes from eatingwell.com or skinnytaste.com - they all have good nutrition info and can be imported into Myfitnesspal); avoiding ALL alcohol during the week; and cheating once per week!!! Fridays are my cheat day - pizza and wine. I look forward to Friday all week long!