Question about animal euthanasia

Options
NyxDominique
NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
This may sound like a strange question, but how do you bring up the question of euthanasia to your vet?

I have three ferrets. Ferrets normal life span is about 8 years. My oldest ferret is about 7 1/2. He doesn't get up to play any more. Only moves to eat, poop, and sleep. He has been throwing up, and having problems controlling his bladder. About this time last year we (the vet and myself) that he was blind and deaf. I really feel he doesn't have a good quality of life anymore, but he is not outwardly sick.

I know everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, but I really do feel that he doesn't want to go on anymore. That he has given up.

Does anyone know how I could bring up the topic of euthanasia to my vet? Do I just call and say I have been thinking it is time? Do I ask for a normally appt and bring it up in conversation? Do I make a special appt about the changes that have been happening and ask if he thinks it is a option?

He is getting sicker, and I don't know if I can wait and watch him waste away anymore...

Replies

• AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I would call the vet and tell them pretty much what you just posted now. Explain the changes you have seen, and your concerns, and tell the vet you would like to come in and get their opinion because you feel that it could be time and you don't want to continue his suffering. Best of wishes to both of you.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You should probably first of all discuss it with your vet rather than make an appointment and just go and do it. I understand how you feel, we had a dog who was knocking on 20 years old - she was blind, deaf, didn't want to move, being sick and had the greatest lump on her belly. In the end we decided that the best thing to do was...you know. We discussed it with the vet and then he put her to sleep. It was hard, but we felt it was for the best. :-/
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    yes you can just call and make an appointment. the receptionist will schedule a date and time for you. if you are unsure you could make an appointment with the vet to discuss your options. i would do it just in case, to know that you've done everything you possibly could. i'm really sorry about your ferret :(.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your ferret-losing a pet is an awful thing. Just give them a call and let them know what you're seeing and that you'd like to make an appointment for euthanasia. Vets are very used to dealing with this and will walk you through the process.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Do I make a special appt about the changes that have been happening and ask if he thinks it is a option?

He is getting sicker, and I don't know if I can wait and watch him waste away anymore...

Just call and explain. Most vets offices are very loving and helpful. This is an everyday part of life for them. When my girl's time came, I was a frickin mess. They held me, called me later, and again later in the week.

There was a girl named Raychal that worked there (my doggies name) so she signed the card "Love R" so she wouldnt hurt me with her name.

Call your vet...................You are a very brave and loving pet momma:ohwell:
  • messy_jessie98
    Options
    I would make an appointment about whats been going on lately. Fill your vet in on all the information. Tell him/her you hate to see your ferret suffering and would rather the ferret pass on peacefully. Then discuss euthanasia with your vet.

I understand what you are going through. I had a cat many years ago who was suffering due to old age and I took the step and let me pass peacefully.

In my own opinion, you are doing the right thing and thinking about the animals welfare. I hate it when pet owners prolong the suffering of their animals for their own benefit.
  • Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    Call and tell them pretty much what you just said here. We just put our 12 year old golden down, and as the vet said, it is the last kind thing you can do for your pet. Still sucks doing it.
  • hayflinger
    Options
    As someone who works for a vet... we see this all the time. It is part of the job. Our pets are better off than we are since it is an option for them so they do not have to suffer. Any good vet will see this as a humane decision. That being said... there are many people that choose euthanasia as a "convenience" when they no longer want to care for an animal. Because of this, many vets will require an exam first if they haven't seen the animal. I would hope that your vet would do so as it is all part of good animal health. Good luck, I know it is never an easy decision, but is what responsible pet owners do.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just make an appointment with him, and express the changes you've seen. Ask him for his opinion on what you should do before you make the decision. Good luck.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    All vets are very used to this situation, they'll know you aren't having a healthy young animal put to sleep. I had 2 dogs who passed this way in the space of 5 weeks in 2007, neither was easy, but it gave my husband and I some comfort that they were no longer in pain and went with dignity. ((((big hugs)))) I feel your pain XXXX
  • KatrionaDeLacy
    KatrionaDeLacy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is not a strange question at all. It sounds like you are a caring pet owner, and you have noticed that your furry friend is slowing down. I would ask them first if they see any medical reason for the sudden slowdown. If not, you can probably just let your ferret keep doing his thing if he is in no obvious pain. Slowing down does not necessarily mean he is suffering. He may just need some supplements for his joints and a little more encouragement to play. It will happen to all of us at some point.

Now if there is a medical issue, you may be able to treat it and have him be fine. If he is very ill, well euthanasia is probably the kindest step, as he is ill and it is keeping him from being himself.

You can assess the quality of life of your ferret. If he seems unhappy, and there is no medical issue, it might be best to let him pass peacefully. Your vet will probably bring it up if you have him in for a wellness visit.
  • NyxDominique
    Options
    First off thank you everyone for your support. I have been crying my eyes out since about 3am trying to figure out what to do. What started the whole thing is he was very lathargic last night, and didn't move when I even touched him. I honestly thought he might be going on me.

Doesn't sound like a very good quality of life to me! Just ask- its part of their job, and while it may be akward to us, they wont think you are excited to kill anything. It's hard but at a point its the compassionate thing to do.

This was the most important thing you could say to me. I do feel akward and scared. I don't not love him. I dont not want to help him, but I feel like a monster to say "I want to talk about getting him euthanasized."

Everyone is right, I just need to call when the office opens today and talk to them. I hope they can get me in today to look at him if that is the case.
  • mrstrouty
    mrstrouty Posts: 15
    Options
    First call and make an appt to have him examined. Discuss your concerns with the vet and see what your options are. Believe me, I worked as a vet tech for 10 years with a very kind hearted dr. He never pushed the idea of euthanasia unless there was no hope for a normal life for the animal. An exam will give you peace knowing you and your dr did everything possible. Good luck !
  • NyxDominique
    Options
    In case anyone revisits this post. I brought Oreo into the Vet today.

They found a mass in his abdomen. They thought it was adrenal desease. We agreed it was best to keep him from suffering, and put him down.

They are going to call me to get the ashs in a few days. :(

All I know is I came home and hugged my other two ferrets like I have never hugged them before.
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about Oreo.

In the end, he knew you loved him and that's the most important thing.

I remember vividly, holding my old German Shepherd as the vet gave him the shot...everyone in the room was crying, me, my fiancee, the tech, the vet...Sport was a long time patient and they really did care about him personally. The vet even remembered when I first brought him in, a gangly lost puppy in need of shots so he could go to a permanent home. (which was, apparently, just my home...) He mentioned how Sport would always seek out the office kitty and give her kisses, and how, if Sport had his way, we'd have adopted every stray kitten ever brought in when he had an appointment. I'd never realized before how deeply the vet feels it when he has to euthanize an animal.