Question for tall people

Options
I wanted to ask, in your growing years, did you eat a lot and get hungry often? What foods did you eat generally to grow tall?
I know it has to do with genetics, but nutrition plays a part in it.
Poor nutrition can also stunt growth.

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you read or heard that poor nutrition can stunt your growth, maybe it does if you suffer from starvation, but it is not true. I am 5'9". And I ate a steady diet of fast food throughout my growing years. My mom is 5'9" and my dad is 6'4". Genetics.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nutrition plays a large part in height. Science.

That being said... it definitely helps to start young. Um, as in... in utero (or even before that with your mother's nutrient stores.) How old are you now? I'm guessing your height has already been set.

I do know some exercises as you're growing can have a (very small) influence on height. If I remember correctly... jumping is good

Something about how the body allots the human growth hormones.

But it's been a while since I last read about that. Don't quote me.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My kids pediatrician said to increase protein, fwiw
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Wow. 4'10??

How old is she? Has she hit puberty?
  • steph_runn44
    steph_runn44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i really think that most of height has to do with genetics. I know plenty of people who are tall and have a short sibling who ate the same things. I am 6'2 and was a really picky eater. I rarely ate vegetables and ate tons of carbs. I have a sister who ate much more well rounded and she's around 5'10. My parents are both tall so I think that's why we are. I really don't think you can eat certain food to get taller.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    First borns tend to be taller. (Nutrition stores in mamma helps.)

Nutrition definitely plays a part in height. For example, after WWII Japan started eating more protein from fish and their population grew as a whole by about 3 inches.

Just look at immigrant families. The parents who came here from ______ country are usually a few inches shorter than their children who grew up here. (Excluding the Nordic countries and those damn Danes. ;))
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    My siblings and I, in order, oldest to youngest:

Brother 5'11"

Brother 5'11"

Sister 5'6"

Sister 5'4"

Me 5'10"

Sister 5'4"

Same parents. Same food.

Dad 5'8"

Mom 5'7"
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I know a family where the eldest is the shortest, and the youngest is the tallest. I don't think it had anything to do with what they ate somehow.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'1". His ex-wife is 4'11". I'm 5'10". I've raised my stepson since he was a toddler. He is now 20 and is 5'5". My bio-kids are on track to be 5'10-6'2". Same foods. Same environment. Different genetics.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'9", which is tall-ish for a female, I suppose. As a kid/teen, my diet consisted mostly of meat, simple carbs (pasta/rice/bread), fast food, junk food, candy galore, and fruits. I've always had a tendency to skip breakfast and eat a medium-sized lunch, colossal-sized dinner, and enough sweets to put a diabetic in a coma.

My mom is 5'1" and my dad was 5'5". I have 5 siblings and I'm the tallest of all of them--my second-oldest brother comes close at 5'7". Apparently I get my height from my great-grandfather as my other grandparents were super short. D:
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow. 4'10??

How old is she? Has she hit puberty?

You weren't asking me, but my eldest sister is 4'11" and she's a grown woman.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    First borns tend to be taller. (Nutrition stores in mamma helps.)

Nutrition definitely plays a part in height. For example, after WWII Japan started eating more protein from fish and their population grew as a whole by about 3 inches.

Just look at immigrant families. The parents who came here from ______ country are usually a few inches shorter than their children who grew up here. (Excluding the Nordic countries and those damn Danes. ;))

You are so right about the Danes. My husband's maternal family is Danish and he's 6'4", and his mom and sister are 5'11" or so.
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am the youngest in my family and I am taller than my sisters and my mom at 5'10". My maternal grandfather, however, was about 6'4". He was from northern Germany.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Ya'll would be surprised what's really influenced by nutrition and environment.

I have a good friend who is a genetist and it's quite encouraging.

For example, intelligence. Intelligence! Not really genetic. It's almost exclusively the based on what's going on in utero and the first couple years (if not the first couple months) of life.

Oxygen is insanely important. Vitamin D is insanely important.

For example, people born during summer months are generally taller than those born in winter months. People born in fall tend to suffer more from brain disorders. Those born in the winter tend to have higher risk of heart issues.

All of this is chalked up to the amount of sun the mother receives during pregnancy.

There's loads of very interesting statistics out there ready to be googled.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Sigh... I'm a terrible speller. I meant "geneticist".

Please excuse this double post. I felt compelled!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    In a Western country where protein is readily available and food scarcity simply isn't an issue for folks in ordinary circumstances, there's no reason to think you can alter your growth by eating any differently than you do now.

I'm a hair taller than my father -- well, a hair taller than he was; now that he's well into his 80s he's shrunk a bit -- and I ate nothing special as a kid. In fact I was a very picky eater. There were lots of foods I could hardly even gag down. In elementary school when they did the sort of height and weight check that passed for screening in those days, they'd always note me as being underweight. (Not a problem these days!)

As others have noted, there are factors other than genetics that might affect your height, but you can't do anything about any of them now.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"9. My dad was 6"2 and my mom is 5"8. I am also taller than my older sister, so the firstborn thing is not true for me.

I never had junk food growing up. I was a chubby baby and then had a growth spurt around 10-11, when I became long ang lean. Didn't eat anything different, I think in my case it's just genetics.