My weight has taken over my life!!!

Options
Hi my name is Vianca, I'm 26 years old and currently sitting at 227 lbs. it's taken me a lot of courage to write this and I'm hoping I can find new friends to help me through this journey. I'm a single mother of a very active 3 year old. A few years back I went from 135 to 198....some how I found the motivation and lost about 45 lbs. I was able to keep it off for a while but slowly went back to my old habits. Before I was pregnant I was about 180...I went up to 217 during my pregnancy. After I had my daughter I weighed about 195. And now I'm sitting at 227. My highest was 236. I'm having trouble finding my motivation. I am in a relationship and I find myself not going out because I'm embarrassed of myself. I only wear black clothing because I'm beyond uncomfortable with my body. My boyfriend is beyond supportive and tries to work out with me but I'm constantly making excuses up because I don't want him to see me struggle. I don't take pictures with my daughter because I'm ashamed of how I've let myself go. I'm not consistent with working out. I do eat very healthy 90% of the time but I dread going to the gym. I cry most nights because I have no energy or motivation to change things. I don't blame anyone or anything....I know that my decisions are what impact my life but for some reason I just can't find that turning point. I'm hoping that this will help me find it. I've read a lot of post and I'm glad to know that there is a community out there to help each other.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The only requirement for weight loss is that you consume fewer calories than your body uses.

If exercise is that stressful, don't do it. You may decide to do it later or you may not. Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

That leaves controlling your calorie intake. Start by logging everything for a couple of weeks without making any changes. You can then look back through your log to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make satisfying substitutions.
  • vmarie4
    vmarie4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I really appreciate the insight. And I do think logging in my food for a few weeks is a great idea. I know I eat healthy but I must be overeating. And I sometimes forget if I ate or not.
  • kmbaye30
    kmbaye30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You got this!!!
  • vmarie4
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I appreciate the support!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to start small. Sometimes we try to make too many changes and feel like it is all or nothing.

Take baby steps, try swapping 1 healthy thing for 1 unhealthy thing. Like drinking water instead of soda or juice or coffee. Eat a piece of fruit instead of a candy bar. Get a side salad instead of fries. Park further away and walk a few extra feet. Take the stairs.

A few baby steps may give you enough motivation to make bigger changes.

Oh and get good sleep every night! It's hard to make good choices when you are exhausted!
  • vmarie4
    Options
    I really need to sleep better. My 3 year old is constantly waking up through out the night asking for water. Mind you all she drinks is water....on rare occasion I'll let her have juice. But I think sleep is my greatest obstacle.
  • jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of courage to share your struggles and your goals. I recently started this journey of weight loss too, so feel free to add me as a friend. For me, keeping a meticulously accurate food log helped me to see how many calories I have actually been consuming- that alone has been a huge breakthrough. I would agree with Seska, make your first goal logging everything, including drinks. Now that I have a 2 week record of what I actually eat, I am making small changes to cut my calorie intake. You can do this!
  • brittnihovious
    brittnihovious Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Very same goals , same clothing , same biggest weight etc . Your another me , lost it all , gained it back , in process of losing it again !!!! Add me :-)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    vmarie4 wrote: »
    I really need to sleep better. My 3 year old is constantly waking up through out the night asking for water. Mind you all she drinks is water....on rare occasion I'll let her have juice. But I think sleep is my greatest obstacle.

Lol, it's a tactic to get attention. Teach him/her they don't need to drink water in the middle of the night. 3 is old enough to understand. My cousin's kid used to do the same thing because she got up to him all the time reinforcing the behaviour, and he carried on like that until he was 6. My kids on the other hand went to bed and slept all night because I did not reward them for demanding attention at 3am.
  • vmarie4
    Options
    Yes my first goal is to stay consistent on here. I already feel so much more motivated with the new friends I've gathered from this post. Going to start small and than change. Slow and steady! Thank you!
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from. I wanted an aha! moment for years to push me enough to change and finally it came... they had to move me to the back of a rollercoaster where the seat had a sealtbelt extension. I was mortified. But I left years pass before I could feel that low. My only regret with changing ( i've lost 75 lbs) is that I wish I would have gotten my health under control sooner. THIS IS YOUR LIFE. It's hard to stay consistant, and change your habits. I've lost friends because I didn't want to pig out with them anymore. But you get to choose... and it just starts one baby change at a time! I promise it's worth it, all of it. Logging everything is a great place to start. Don't work out, just log. And see what you notice the first week, second week. You will find the right foods to eat for you so you can stretch your calories out for the day. Good luck! We are here :)
  • vmarie4
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story...I've avoided theme parks for the last couple of years because I'm afraid of that exact thing happening to me. I have yet to have an aha moment and I've been waiting but who knows when that will happen...so I'm starting now....I know it's going to take a lot of self control and discipline but I have to do it!
  • vmarie4
    Options
    And I am so happy for you and your weight lost!!! Keep it up!