Q about recipe builder

Options
ksmommy5
ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
So I played around with it to test how it works. My sample is a sheppards pie. I added all the ingredients. However 1. Idk how many it's supposed to serve and 2. How large the serving size is
I pretended it was to serve 6 ppl. It gave me the cals per serving but did not say the serving size.
Can someone explain to me how I figure this out?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Either say it serves 6 and cut your dish into 6 pieces...or weigh your finished product after (excluding pan weight) and if it says 1000grams, then input 1000 servings. And then weigh out what you want to eat (200g for example) and log 200 servings of the recipe in your food log.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I usually go by weight when it comes to recipes. Once I get the total weight of the dish, I decide how many/much a serving is. Then get the measurement for that serving. I usually then update the title of the recipe to include the weight/measurement of each serving.

Ex: a crockpot of chili was 1500 grams. I would generally eat about 1/6 of the pot as a serving, so about 250 grams. Using measuring cups, I weighed out 250 grams which filled approx 1.5 cups. So I updated my recipe title to "Chili (250g/1.5c)". This way if i don't have time weigh, I can quickly measure and be close.

You could do something similar by volume if you don't have a food scale. Use measuring cups to determine the total volume and then determine servings based that.
  • kshowen1
    kshowen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. The recipe builder is awesome!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kshowen1 wrote: »
    I had the same question. The recipe builder is awesome!

You haven't lived until you try to import a recipe your wife found through Pintrest, and the damn thing works!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Either say it serves 6 and cut your dish into 6 pieces...or weigh your finished product after (excluding pan weight) and if it says 1000grams, then input 1000 servings. And then weigh out what you want to eat (200g for example) and log 200 servings of the recipe in your food log.

This is by far the best method I've tried for portioning out meals from the recipe builder.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ksmommy5 wrote: »
    So I played around with it to test how it works. My sample is a sheppards pie. I added all the ingredients. However 1. Idk how many it's supposed to serve and 2. How large the serving size is
    I pretended it was to serve 6 ppl. It gave me the cals per serving but did not say the serving size.
    Can someone explain to me how I figure this out?

If you want to be able to weigh a serving to know how much is a serving, you will need to weigh the entire dish first, then divide that by the number of servings you are going to make it into.

I do it differently. I live alone so I am usually going to eat the entire recipe the first night and as leftovers. I figure out how many servings make sense (If I am working with a recipe from a website or something I start with their suggestion) and eyeball each serving. I make a dish that has 4 servings so I divide it up into 4 portions that look equal, eat one and either refrigerate or freeze the other 3. In the end, I am eating the full dish with the full calories even if one portion is a little bigger or smaller than the other.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    If you import a recipe from the Internet or use suggested ingredients, pay attention. The calorie counts of those ingredients are frequently wrong and can totally mess up the calorie count for your recipe.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Is recipe builder a separate app?
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thank you CyberTone, I appreciate it.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too. Here's my question. How do you weigh the final product? Say I make a pot of chili. I have a little kitchen scale that probably can't handle the weight of a full pot to find out the weight...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    hazzaram wrote: »
    I've been wondering this, too. Here's my question. How do you weigh the final product? Say I make a pot of chili. I have a little kitchen scale that probably can't handle the weight of a full pot to find out the weight...

You are going to have to weigh it in batches that your scale can handle. I have a scale that is flat and goes up to 10 kg/22 lb. I can weigh something dish and all