Scale not moving but seeing other progress?

Options
thelovelyLIZ
thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi MFP Friends! I have a question in regards to how other people have seen their bodies change on their journey.

So I lost about 25lbs a few years back. Scale moved down at the target rate pretty consistently until it stalled around the last 10lbs- all very normal. I was doing almost exclusively cardio until I lost most of the weight last time- I was running quite a bit since I was preparing for a half marathon.

This time around it's been a bit different. I've since picked up aerial silks as a hobby, and I do that 2-3 times a week now. This means I've been doing a lot of strength building workouts for the past year, and I only just factored in cardio a few months ago- about 40 minutes a day. Over the last couple months I lost a few pounds and then the scale has stopped moving. I intend to do some measurements next weekend to see if that's the same or not too, but I mentioned this on my page and a friend said when she picked up running she gained 25 lbs but lost a lot of fat, particularly in her lower body. I had attributed some of the slowness to possible muscle gains, since I've really been focusing in on building my strength (and have been quite successful) the last few months and know I've gained some muscles. But it seems like that would only account for a few pounds- 25lbs (or perhaps even in 10 in my case) seems very dramatic.

Anyone experience something like this? I think I may need to also tweak a few things in my diet, but I've been pretty good the last few weeks and was a bit surprised to see zero movement. I know the scale lies etc etc but I'm more just curious if other's have experienced something like this?

Replies

• kyladefranco
    kyladefranco Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would check your macros and maybe toy with those a bit to see if that causes a change. Measurements I believe are important to keep track of. Also, if you can measure body fat using calipers (I know it's not super accurate, but at least give you a rough idea).
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would check your macros and maybe toy with those a bit to see if that causes a change. Measurements I believe are important to keep track of. Also, if you can measure body fat using calipers (I know it's not super accurate, but at least give you a rough idea).

I've always subscribed to calorie in vs calorie out so I kind of feel like macros won't matter lolololol. That being says, I always way undershoot my carbs, so I might try and add a few more in.
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You're right. 10 pounds is a LOT if you're talking about muscle. Most likely, your 10 pounds is part fat, part muscle.

If your calories are on point, I'd give the scale a few more weeks. Since I started my cut back in January, I didn't notice much change in my weigh-ins until 3 weeks in.