Going over carbs but staying under calories

Options
Hi all, i have been told that the most important thing is to remain in a caloric deficit, but i track my macros carefully. My macros are P45% C35% F20%. Some days i will go over my fats or carb allowance and under my protein allowance. I was wondering if this will make a difference overall, or should i be kore strict with my macros and still attempt to stay in caloric deficit?

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    The caloric deficit is king. That is the only thing that matters (unless you're tracking macros for medical reasons).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It depends...

Calories are the most important thing for weight loss.

And, if your macros are usually OK, just off somedays, you probably won't have any issues.

Nonetheless, if I am consistently over on carbs, it is usually because I am eating more junk food, and therefore if I keep it up, I won't be getting the nutrients I need, so I will start eating more, and eventually I will be off on calories.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss. Macros are for satiety, preference, health related issues or fitness goals.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories are good, I wouldn't worry if your macros are a little off sometimes.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Unless you're going Keto diet.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs. I eat mostly carbs. I try to focus on getting protein and fats in best i can but im constantly high carb. Delicious and satisfying to me :P
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't matter too much. Total calories is the most important thing.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If all you care about is weight loss, the a calorie deficit is all that matters. However, not all carbs are created equal. There are many other health benefits if you spend some effort in selecting foods comprised of complex carbs over those that contain highly processed carbs and simple sugars. Also, some foods rich in carbs are better than others with respect to your body's regulation of blood glucose. Cravings are another issue that may be managed better by eating foods higher in fiber, complex carbs in the form of whole grains and of course protein and some fat.
  • tomhefferon
    tomhefferon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. Very helpful advice. Ah down 10kg so far and 5 kg away from my first goal. Hard work, determination, and a community of support on myfitness pal
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You have a very high protein goal, so it's not surprising that you'd miss it some days. I wouldn't worry about it.