Can someone look at my diary? 4 week Plateau :(

Options
Hi all, I'm 5'5, 157 female. I had been losing when I started my boxing class in December and eating about 1400 calories the days I worked out (5 days) . I burn on average 500 calories per work out based on my heart rate monitor. But I'm now on a 4 week Plateau so I assume it's my diet or my body too used to the workouts? Can someone take a look at my diary and offer any advice? Thanks

Replies

• zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you counting everything? Especially stuff like: mayo, ranch, oil (from cooking), alcohol... etc. can add up to a lot of missed calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What is your workout/boxing frequency? How many times per week do you burn that 500 calories per?

Your food choices over the few days look reasonable. There's no glaring clues about sloppy measuring. You appear to be using a scale.

How does your Report for weight look? Is it basically a horizontal sawtooth pattern, or does it have pronounced hills and valleys such that one recent day happens to be the same as a day 4 weeks ago?
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know your diary is probably "open" but I don't see a way to see it?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think you are. A lot of measurements in "cups" "slices" that kind of thing. It's not very accurate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I see a lot of "1 apple" or "1 cup of this" or 1/2 cup of that". Do you actually weigh these things? That could account for 2-300 extra calories a day.

This is an excellent point.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure about that 500 calorie burn? How long is the workout and what does it involve? A lot of people seem to find heart rate monitors inaccurate unless they are set up absolutely correctly.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also, you're not far off a healthy weight, if you're only weighing once a week you might be missing new lows. No harm in tightening up your logging though in the meantime.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's your food logging.

Measuring by tbsp, cups and packaging servings is not accurate. You can be eating 300 calories more a day than you think. Take your bananas as example. Mine vary in calories by 50 each time, you log 44 calories every time. And the nut butter is even worse. How many nuts do you eat because 28g is only around 3 brazil nuts?

Either buy a food scale or knock 50 calories a day off each week until you start losing.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi napilibay I took a quick look at your Diary and wonder how can you fill in Tuesdays details before 6 am local time.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    OK thanks
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    TARGET65K wrote: »
    OK thanks

More people than you think are here from many parts of the world...
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    TARGET65K wrote: »
    Hi napilibay I took a quick look at your Diary and wonder how can you fill in Tuesdays details before 6 am local time.

Thank you, some days I pre track the night before so I know exactly what I'm eating that day.
  • napilibay
    Options
    It's your food logging.

Measuring by tbsp, cups and packaging servings is not accurate. You can be eating 300 calories more a day than you think. Take your bananas as example. Mine vary in calories by 50 each time, you log 44 calories every time. And the nut butter is even worse. How many nuts do you eat because 28g is only around 3 brazil nuts?

Either buy a food scale or knock 50 calories a day off each week until you start losing.

Thanks, as for nuts, I weigh those each time to the gram. As for cups and tbsp, I'll try to weigh those... Thanks
  • napilibay
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure about that 500 calorie burn? How long is the workout and what does it involve? A lot of people seem to find heart rate monitors inaccurate unless they are set up absolutely correctly.

I use a polar heart rate monitor with chest strap. Workouts are 60 min each and my burn ranges from 500-600.
  • napilibay
    Options
    What is your workout/boxing frequency? How many times per week do you burn that 500 calories per?

Your food choices over the few days look reasonable. There's no glaring clues about sloppy measuring. You appear to be using a scale.

How does your Report for weight look? Is it basically a horizontal sawtooth pattern, or does it have pronounced hills and valleys such that one recent day happens to be the same as a day 4 weeks ago?

4x week I burn around 500-550 for 60 minutes. There's a 75 minute class where I can burn over 700. I've been weighing daily lately and it fluctuates a half pound to a pound daily. Thanks
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Looking at your logs:

You're not eating 100% of your exercise calories, so even if the calorie burn is inflated you're covering that.

Improve accuracy in your logging and give it more time. Food scale for everything solid. Estimating and cups can lead to +50 cals here, +75 there and that can add up to eating at maintenance. I suspect though that in the next 1, 2 weeks you'll see a drop. That its just some temporary water weight giving you issues.

Be sure to keep your weighins in the same format. Meaning same time of day, some level of clothing, etc. Never compare a 2pm weighin one week to a 7am weighin the next week for example. And make sure your scale has fresh batteries if its been a while since you've changed them.
  • NatashiaGonzalez
    Options
    With really intense workouts you are most likely changing in physical size rather than seeing the scale drop. How about measuring, and taking pictures to see if things aren't really "changing"... You can still weigh every day of course.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but 99% of the plateau issues I've seen are due to logging problems. Definitely work on getting your logging accurate. Food scale for ALL solids. Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids. Use the recipe builder, use accurate entries, be careful with the exercise calories, log every single thing that passes your lips. Good luck! Sounds like with a little tweaking of your logging you'll be doing great!