Vegetarian ADVICE!

Options
So I'm new at this vegetarian thing. I'm about 2 weeks strong but people keep freaking me out about not getting enough protein!! I consume about 60grams of protein a day that usually comes from an egg, a protein bar, nuts, and a meal replacement shake. I work out everyday except saturdays for at least one hour.. thoughts, comments, concerns??? Anything would be helpful.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If the "people" are friends and family who are worried about your transition to vegetarianism, I would try just thanking them for their interest in your health and letting them know you are tracking your protein consumption and meeting your needs. Sometimes it's hard for people to understand that you can meet your needs for protein without eating meat and they can be concerned.

Are you happy with the amount you're getting?
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    TiffanyLoveG if you have Netflix I recommend you watch 'Food Choices'
    It talks specifically about protein, once you watch this everyone's opinions won't matter about your protein intake. Unfortunately people are very misinformed about protein and the human body.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    People will always freak out about protein when you're not eating meat for whatever reason. Try eating more beans and trying tofu, tempeh and seitan. You can buy these already seasoned to try out if you aren't ready to cook with them yet. Also vegetarian chili is a great option, Amy's makes a good one or you can make your own. You don't need a ton of protein, just balance and a variety of foods. I'd lay off the the nuts, protein bars and meal replacement shakes, you don't need those and nuts are okay for snacks or in salads but I wouldn't consider them a big protein source, at least in my own diet.
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks @janejellyroll I definitely will be grateful for the concerns and I do understand, I just wanted to make sure my I take was a safe amount.
    And thanks @kenziberry I will be watching this tonight!!
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @littlechiaseed I'm actually making vegetarian chili tonight with black beans and black eyed peas! Hopefully this is a good source of protein. I would rather this than downing protein bars!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think there are so many opinions out there, you just don't know who to trust or believe. I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat a ton of meat so my protein per day is about 65 to 80 grams. I'm reading the New Rules for Lifting and according to him, I should be at 30 or 40% protein. That's a ton! 180 gr. a day! I eat a lot of beans, but they don't have as much protein as you think. I made 3 bean chili and I think I may add some seitan as a small serving only has 14 gr. of protein.

I guess I don't have an answer for you. I also eat nuts/peanut butter occasionally, as it's pretty dense in calories. Cottage cheese has a lot of protein for under 100 calories. Oh, and dried seaweed - spirulina is the new darling of vegan foods. I have no idea of how to use it, but it's low cal and high protein.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Some other options are greek yogurt, skim milk, chia seeds, spinach and lentils... I think you have the right attitude which is great. I'm not vegetarian. I've ate a vegetarian diet here and there. I ate some meat one time that grossed me out. I didn't eat meat for months. I live in the south. When deer season is open, there are so many pictures of people posing with deer they've shot. This is nasty to me also. Sounds like since you're watching your protein intake, you're doing great.
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the addition of beans, lentils and greek yogurt if your into dairy. Also 60 g of protein a day is okayyy. I aim to get about 90 g because i strength train. but it will get easier to find foods to fulfill your nutrients! keep track of your foods so you can see what works for you. Good luck :)
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 25 years and that's the question I still get from friends... sounds like everyone has given you good ideas, I do any non-gmo soy products like tempeh or tofu. Lentils are amazing for packing in protein and beans too. I love eggs too and don't eat dairy except for a few occasions but those are good sources
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You never have to worry about protein if you are eating whole foods. I've been vegetarian for 5 years, i have never in my life taken a protein supplement, yet i continue to grow any muscle i choose to exercise. Protein is a buzzword that they use to sell products. Essential amino acids are found in abundance in fresh produce.

Do you know what protein deficiency disease, when you are getting enough overall calories, is called?
    Kwashiorkor. Ever heard of it? Most people haven't, because it's extremely rare. Whey used to be a waste product in dairy manufacturing. Now, they get to add their waste product back to other foods, and market it as "Now, with more protein!", as if lack of protein had ever been a problem in America.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm not 100% vegetarian but I eat that way a lot, particularly in maintenance...beans and lentils are pretty much staples. Eggs and egg whites and some dairy (generally cottage cheese or greek yogurt). Grains like oats and quinoa are decent vegetarian protein sources...nuts and lots of other whole foods add up.

While meat, poultry, and fish are pretty optimal sources, there are many vegetarian sources. A lot of people equate no meat with not getting protein because they don't realize that protein is in numerous food sources.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    You never have to worry about protein if you are eating whole foods. I've been vegetarian for 5 years, i have never in my life taken a protein supplement, yet i continue to grow any muscle i choose to exercise. Protein is a buzzword that they use to sell products. Essential amino acids are found in abundance in fresh produce.

Do you know what protein deficiency disease, when you are getting enough overall calories, is called?
    Kwashiorkor. Ever heard of it? Most people haven't, because it's extremely rare. Whey used to be a waste product in dairy manufacturing. Now, they get to add their waste product back to other foods, and market it as "Now, with more protein!", as if lack of protein had ever been a problem in America.

Someone eating a whole foods diet heavy in fruits and vegetables could still have issues with specific amino acid deficiencies, specifically lysine. While I don't think that protein is a pressing worry for vegetarians or vegans, I would never make the inaccurate blanket statement that one *never* has to worry about it.

Protein isn't just a buzzword. It's an essential macronutrient. Here is a link that may be helpful: http://veganhealth.org/articles/protein
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've always been vegetarian and am super active. Your best sources of Protein as a veggie are eggs, low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, lentils, chickpeas, beans, tofu and tempeh. If you have some of these each day in addition to your protein shake you will be getting lots of protein! I have also been using hemp pro 50 protein powder because it's a natural flavour and I put it on steamed veggies and it tastes like hemp oil. I'll add you and if you have any more questions about being veggie we can chat:) I have lots of experience cooking protein rich veggie foods so I have ideas if you need them.
  • jnducharme
    Options
    Make sure you learn about proper protein combining so you are making complete proteins by mixing carbs like rice, oats and potatos with a vegetable protein like beans and lentils in order to have all of the essential amino acids.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    jnducharme wrote: »
    Make sure you learn about proper protein combining so you are making complete proteins by mixing carbs like rice, oats and potatos with a vegetable protein like beans and lentils in order to have all of the essential amino acids.

(1) The writer who in the early 1970s popularized the idea that it is essential for vegetarians to rigorously practice protein combining at every meal to get adequate protein (Frances Moore Lappe, in "Diet for a Small Planet") more or less disavowed the idea just 10 years later (in a subsequent edition of the book), but the idea will not die.

(2) Protein combining is about combining foods from various groups (dairy, grains, legumes, and seeds -- note that potatoes do not fall into any of these groups, and that "carbs" are not one of the groups) to get an essential amino acid profile that more closely resembles the ratio needed by humans to use up all the amino acids they consume (if you're too low on one amino acid, once you've used it up combining it with others to make a complete protein, there may be some other essential amino acid that you didn't use up and is now "left over.") As long as you're including foods from several of the groups (dairy, grains, legumes, and seeds) in your diet on a regular basis, you don't need to worry about "mixing" them at a given meal.
  • jnducharme
    Options

(1) The writer who in the early 1970s popularized the idea that it is essential for vegetarians to rigorously practice protein combining at every meal to get adequate protein (Frances Moore Lappe, in "Diet for a Small Planet") more or less disavowed the idea just 10 years later (in a subsequent edition of the book), but the idea will not die.

(2) Protein combining is about combining foods from various groups (dairy, grains, legumes, and seeds -- note that potatoes do not fall into any of these groups, and that "carbs" are not one of the groups) to get an essential amino acid profile that more closely resembles the ratio needed by humans to use up all the amino acids they consume (if you're too low on one amino acid, once you've used it up combining it with others to make a complete protein, there may be some other essential amino acid that you didn't use up and is now "left over.") As long as you're including foods from several of the groups (dairy, grains, legumes, and seeds) in your diet on a regular basis, you don't need to worry about "mixing" them at a given meal.[/quote]

Sorry I know you're right I just didn't want to go into too much detail. As long as the different food groups are included in your diet they don't need to be in the same specific meal.

• FruityFridays
    FruityFridays Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, explaining to people that protein is not only found in animal products, is like ramming your head of a brick wall.
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you have concerns about other people's opinion about you and your protein check out the documentary titled Food Choices on Netflix. It is eye opening and really will make you understand where to find protein and how much we really need.
    It's a great watch!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've found that a lot of the people who are worried about me getting enough protein as a vegetarian don't actually know how much protein they're getting either -- they just assume that, because they eat meat, they're getting enough. Try flipping the question back to them and see what they say.

"About 60g" a day could be on the low side, though, depending on your CW and depending on how much you deviate from that 60g each day. (For example, does "about 60g" mean anywhere from 55-65g, or 45-75g?) It wouldn't hurt for you to aim higher to make sure you're covered.