Couch to 5k

I have done plenty of 5k's in the past but have always walked them and it takes about 55 minutes to complete. Just started the couch to 5k on the treadmill yesterday to improve my time. What is a good pace to start with? I did 3 for walking and 4 for jogging but thinking of increasing it to a 5. Is that pushing it for day two?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Try it and see. It has been a while, but think I did about 3.5 - 4.0 for the walking segments and 5.0 - 5.5 for the running. I was a regular walker though, so a brisk pace was comfortable for me. If you feel like you can't breathe when you are doing either, then slow it down. If you feel like it is too easy, then speed up, just a little.

When I'm on the TM, I often do a progressive run, where I start at a very easy pace and increase by .1 until it feels a bit challenging, but I can still speak whole sentences without puffing and panting. That can be different on different days, depending on how tired I am, how stiff, and what I've been eating.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Firstly, well done and good luck. I did C25K last year and really enjoyed it and have kept running to the point I have just signed up for my first marathon (very scary!).

As for your question, it's very difficult to say as different for everyone. General advice for people starting out is go as slow as you can whilst running with good form (a quick search will give you some advice on form). If it's way too easy then maybe try 4.5 rather than such a big jump?

Overall though, my personal advice is to focus on increasing the time you spend running and not worry about speed for now. If you're finding it too easy then maybe make your last running interval of each run longer rather than increase your speed. If you're finding you're able to do *much* more than prescribed then perhaps skip ahead to the next week in the plan. This is what I did and ended up doing the 9 week plan in 7 weeks. I did my runs outside and although I deliberately tried to keep my runs slow I found I got faster as the weeks went on even without trying.
  • kt_kat_88
    kt_kat_88 Posts: 74 Member
    I like doing on the treadmill because it makes me run. If I were to do it outside, I could easily stop or slow down. I was surprise how fast the 30 minutes went. When I got to 20 minutes, I thought to myself "ok 5 more jogs, 5 more walks". But around 25 minutes ready to increase to the next jog section and it was time for the cool down. I was like "wait, that's it? I'm done?"

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2017
    That's great it went so well. Tempting as it might be, try not to push too hard, too quick as that's surefire route to injury. Given you already walk lots you have a headstart, but your joints & muscles need to get used to the running action even if from an energy/CV fitness point of view you feel you could go longer/harder. If you don't already, get into the habit of stretching and doing some hip/flexibility exercises as well.

That all being said, continue to enjoy it and good luck. I look forward to reading about you doing a non-stop 5k!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I generally recommend to go slow. Trying to sprint on day 1 can result in injury and/or disappointment when you can't full on sprint the whole distance. Get the distance down and then work on speed later.
  • MichaelJSwann
    MichaelJSwann Posts: 35 Member
    On the treadmill, I did 6km/h (4mi/h) for the walk sections and 9km/h (6 mi/h) for the jog sections. I try and stick to that pacing outside.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Start by running at the same pace you walk.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I started walking at 3 mph and running at 5 mph. When I got to the longer runs, I could not keep the pace up and run the whole time, so I'm down to running at 4 mph. I'm in week 6 now so Friday is a 25 minute run. If I can do that at 4 mph, I'll be happy.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    If you're a beginner runner, I was instructed by my trainer to set the jogging pace just past the speed where your body wants to change from walk to run. Keep it slow and easy while you build time/distance, then gradually pick up the speed later. It worked well! I started at 4.8 mph, and by the time I finished it and was regularly running for 30 - 45 mins a stretch, I had it up to 5.8 mph. I was super proud of myself! I am typically a very slow runner, it doesn't come easy to me. Good luck!
  • kt_kat_88
    kt_kat_88 Posts: 74 Member
    Update: I bumped my jogging up to 4.5 and was pretty comfortable at it. Only did walk/jog for about 10 minutes before my trainer showed up and we moved to weights. Tonight I will get to do my full day 2. My trainer has been out of town for the past week and we mostly focus on weight trainer rather than cardio. It was awesome to have her walk into the gym and see me jogging. I think her chin hit the floor. lol