Tips for getting used to outdoor running?

Options
Hi friends!

I started running about a month and a half ago on the treadmill. I've gotten used to a comfortable pace and can now run a couple miles without stopping at the steady pace on a treadmill at the gym.

It was a nice day out so I ventured outside to use the track, and it was way harder without something keeping my pace and without the temperature controlled environment. I was wondering if anyone had any training tips for transitioning to outdoor running. I am hoping to run in outdoor races sometime in the future - that's the goal!

Thanks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect...slow down if need be and find your rhythm. It'll just take some time and practice.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it! Will take a bit for you to settle into your pace. Even now it takes me half a mile or so to find my pace every workout. I also find music helps me not focus on the sound of my own breathing.

But the more you do it the easier it will get.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Practice makes perfect...slow down if need be and find your rhythm. It'll just take some time and practice.

Agreed. I can usually find a good rhythm with my breathing/stride and use that as a gauge. Took me a while to get there, though.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Following something like Couch to 5K might be worthwhile for your outdoor runs. I've not used the app, but I suspect you could skip ahead a bit in the training plan if anything is too easy. I have a garmin watch that I use for outside runs to help keep me at a consistent pace also.

~Lyssa
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Music helps me keep my Stride and Rhythm--So I put an earbud in one ear and get going!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Try the Zombie's Run! app
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to running outdoors- an indoor treadmill will seem lame to you.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'll throw in a second recommendation for Zombies, Run. Put on some music of a beat that keeps your pace going, then let the zombie story entertain you here and there. Turn on chases and it gets more challenging. :) I have a hard time running outside without it.
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I second the advice to SLOOOOW down. I can't maintain the same pace outside that I can on a treadmill. I am not fast either way, but I could do a 10/11 min mile on the treadmill and outside I felt like I was running full-pelt and ended up with a 13-14 min/mile. Took me a while to get back to 10 again (then winter hit lol).

I was slower but I could run for longer outside - more to look at than watching the clock tick by so once I found my pace I was distracted enough to just keep running:)
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely try the Zombies, Run app and you'll get used to it in no time and want to get out all the time to continue the amazing story.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    should raise the incline of the treadmill if you can. some say 1 deg. I do a "2" on the treadmills I use, whatever that means....
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I also like the C25K and zombie run apps, but when you are on the treadmill try raising the elevation if that's an option on that treadmill. That helps you get used to not abingdon a completely flat running surface
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    brdoyle8 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone had any training tips for transitioning to outdoor running. I am hoping to run in outdoor races sometime in the future - that's the goal!

Two steps - Go outside, run...

But the main thing if you're struggling to maintain a pace outside is to slow down until you can comfortably keep going.

I'd support the suggestions above to use something like C25K to help condition yourself.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to keep doing it and do intervals. I'm a treadmill runner too and I hate going outside.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    should raise the incline of the treadmill if you can. some say 1 deg. I do a "2" on the treadmills I use, whatever that means....

Good advice, they say a 1 does a good job of simulating running outside. I still feel that running outside is harder

But it doesnt take that long to get used to running outside. Just a few weeks
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Time with a easy pace, it will come around.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Slow down, enjoy the scenery. Focus on your form instead of your pace. Feel the sun on your face, the wind at your back. Keep your pace slow enough to be able to hold a conversation. :smiley:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I always run to music to pace myself.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper app. You can configure it to say your time/pace/distance/etc. every x minutes. I have mine set to every 5 minutes.
  • kellya252
    kellya252 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My suggestions: Get off the track, if you can, and run around your neighbourhood. The change of scenery may help distract you from the effort of running. Listen to music or podcasts - it can also help distract you. You may not need or want it after you get used to running, but it sure is nice to have in the beginning. Slow down if you are getting winded/tired too quickly. I, personally, find my pace is quicker outside than on the TM, but everyone is different.