I don't know how to get started?

Options
I'm 5'4 and my weight is 180. I decided that I want to lose 50 pounds! I need advice on what to eat for breakfas, lunch and dinner. If you can help me please...

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My diary is open - click in my profile and then on through if you want to see what I eat. My net target is around 1300 calories, but I eat my exercise calories back so it's about 1500-1800/day.

Generally, I eat overnight oats for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and delicious things for dinner. Lots of veggies. What do you like to eat?

My biggest change was cutting out snacking and most sweets.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My first step was to start logging. It really showed me where I was "spending" my calories. Then I just cut back on things that didn't seem worth it.

As you get better at seeing what fills you up better (usually protein and veggies for a lot of people, myself included) and you can kind of tweak as you go.

Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Choose a goal of 1 lb pr week. For the 1st week just eat what you normally would, but log everything, accurately and consistently. Then look at the week and see how you ate on the days you did well. Then start tweaking as you go. If you don't have one, pick up a food scale and use it whenever possible.

It's kind of hard to tell you what to eat, different things work for different people. The key is hitting your calorie goal, everything else is personal. In general, being low on protein, fat, or fiber can leave you hungry so keep an eye on those.

The best thing you can do is find a way of eating that you enjoy and that will keep you feeling good at the right calorie level. It can take a little time, but it's worth it! I basically eat the same stuff I always did, but I eat a bit more protein and I had to play with my portions. I eat plenty of nutritious stuff (like veggies, fruits, grains, fish, chicken, fruit) but I also eat stuff most people wouldn't consider "diet" food (pasta, pizza, ice cream).

Pre-logging helped me a lot too. Good luck :drinker:
  • AJbandit88
    AJbandit88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It can be over whelming at first but once you get started it isn't to bad. For myself right now I try to watch my calories mainly to lose a little weight while I build some more muscle. Instant Oatmeal is my go to breakfast, sometimes I add some turkey sausage to it for some protine. For lunch I normally have a sandwich and a few chips. I have a couple low calorie meals on my profile right now and am going to add more if you want to take a look.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can check this blog out for some useful information. There are many others in the Blog pages of MFP.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-macronutrient-calculations-to-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle/
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever is convenient. My recommendation is to allocate a fourth of your daily calorie goal to each meal. If your goal is 1200, for example, you would eat 300 calories at each meal and have a few left over for one or two small snacks.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What do you eat now? Don't you eat breakfast lunch and dinner?
  • jkdenizard
    jkdenizard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started with increasing my water intake. I am drinking between 10 and 20 cups per day. Drink it from a container that has a straw. For some reason it makes it so much easier to drink. I have been eating around 1000 -1300 calories per day for two weeks now. I had to quickly lose a few lbs for a outpatient surgery I need to have. The difference of having it in the Dr. office vs the hospital was $1100!
  • Mendoza7121
    Mendoza7121 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pick the things you like to eat and cook them fit it to your macros. Everyone is different so your calories are gonna be different look up calorie calculator fill it out and it wil give you your calories you need to start to lose weight. If you dont lose or gain than that means your calories are to high to lose weight have to be at a deficit lose weight theres really no specific foods you need eat as long as its clean and fits macros youll be fine. And you can always get at a deficit by increasing your activities in the gym hope this helps you out good luck.