Deadlifts - what am I doing wrong?

Options
Kath712
Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
I'm in Stage 1 of "New Rules of Lifting for Women," which, BTW, I LOVE!! :heart: :drinker: Anyway, one of the moves is Deadlifts, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can feel the move in my butt and back of my legs. But after about 12 reps, my middle back is hurting. Sometimes I'm using 15 lb. barbells, and sometimes I'm using the 45 lb. bar, depending on how crowded the weight room is that night. Either way, I don't feel like my form is exactly right. I have watched videos, had my husband demonstrate, etc. Should I be feeling it in my back at all? I thought it was a leg exercise? Any tips?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• conkmunson
    Options
    You can try keeping your abs pulled in and slightly contracted to support your back. You may be arching. Have you watched yourself in a mirror? That can be helpful for spotting form issues. Or if you belong to a gym, ask a certified trainer to watch you do a few reps. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book, as it does not pertain to me, but 12+ reps on deadlifts seems quite high to me, as the deadlift is a power move which people usually only do a few reps of per set. Does the book suggest this many reps?
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    Hello
    First there are several different types of deadlifts but either way deadlifts does work the lower back and lats as well as your glutes and hamstrings. A good site to view the exercise and learn what muscles are worked is bodybuilding.com - Also see below:

Deadlifts are viewed primarily as a back movement; as this is where the main stress is throughout the movement. Indeed, the lower back (the erectors) will become big and strong after a surprisingly short period, with the deadlift. The latissimus dorsi and associated muscles are also worked to a large degree - especially at the top of the movement.

The deadlift is probably the best movement in terms of developing round, strong, glute muscles. On ascension, at the sticking point, the glutes are bought into play and can be squeezed at this point for a maximal contraction. Deadlifts also work all the surrounding hip/pelvic muscles

The deadlift works the entire leg region much the same as the squat does (except the squat is in many ways a superior leg developer). In fact most of the deadlifting movement is executed by the legs, with the back holding everything in place.

I hope this helps and answers your questions. Happy Lifting
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're using light weights like 30-45 lbs then doing that many reps is fine (depending of course on your strength). However, if you're feeling the move in your back then your form is incorrect. Most people have this same issue when they start deadlifts--they do not keep a flat back through the move. Either drop your weight or practice without any weights at all. It is actually very dangerous to be doing a deadlift with improper form as you can really hurt your back.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 1 of "New Rules of Lifting for Women," which, BTW, I LOVE!! :heart: :drinker: Anyway, one of the moves is Deadlifts, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can feel the move in my butt and back of my legs. But after about 12 reps, my middle back is hurting. Sometimes I'm using 15 lb. barbells, and sometimes I'm using the 45 lb. bar, depending on how crowded the weight room is that night. Either way, I don't feel like my form is exactly right. I have watched videos, had my husband demonstrate, etc. Should I be feeling it in my back at all? I thought it was a leg exercise? Any tips?? Thanks in advance!

I assume you're talking about a standard deadlift?

If so, you need to keep your tailbone (bone at the top of your butt) lifted througout the move - this should keep your back flat. The best way to describe it, is as if you have your chest puffed out... if you get what I mean...?

This should stop you from rounding your back.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1st, sort of agree with Eric, deadlifts are usually a low rep, high weight function, meaning 12 is a bit much, but not necessarily to much (depending on your goals), but that's beside the point.

2nd, which kind of deadlift are you performing, they have slightly different form.

here are 2 links to the 2 main types.

You should practice these in a mirror with an empty bar or a dowel (broom handle) first until you are sure your form is right.

romainian deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0

stiff legged deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoJ9jNjM8E

they are very similar, but essentially if you are feeling it in your back it means you aren't locking your abs or you aren't keeping your back straight. That just means that you need to squeeze the abs tight for the whole move and the back should be straight to a slight concave arch (not too much). The post above explains a little why your lower back could hurt. If you do it right, all the pressure should be felt in the hamstrings, very little should be felt in the back, your hips should be your axis of angle (in other words your hips should pivot to allow the downward movement, NOT your lower back or your knees).
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    When trying to flatten your back, you might think about actually arching it. I find when I'm bent over, I feel like it's flat but it's really rounded, and if I think about arching it, it's really only flat. Make sure you're using a mirror though.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes, rounding the back is most likely your problem here.

Keep your back flat, and get someone to spot your form. You need to keep your shoulders pulled back and your lower back stiff. If, during the movement, you feel like you have to straighten your back after straightening your legs, you aren't keeping it flat.

Definitely get someone who knows what they're doing to spot your form. Deadlift killed my back once and wouldn't want the same to happen to others!
  • mir7x
    mir7x Posts: 11
    Options
    First of all it's great to hear there are women doing deadlifts out there, I haven't seen any in my local gym. I have to disagree with the previous poster, KS_4691: Deadlift is mainly a back exercise, especially when keeping legs straight, so of course you have to feel your lower back, but be sure to keep your back straight and push out your butt. It's depending on weight and your strength, of course. but If you feel your back and your butt on 12 reps, then you are doing it right, btw I do max 8-10 reps.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are arching you back or leaning too far forward.

Typically the starting and finish position for a proper deadlift you have your knees slightly bent (soft knees), chest out - which forces a natural sway in the back and chin up - parrallel to the deck.

when you lift you should maintain and up and down steady motion. You squat to pick up the weight - only looking down briefly to situated your hands and return to the starting position. Once you have the weight you maintain the form mentioned above in the up and down motion.

Their is a deadlift bar that forces this more but most gyms don't have them. The bar is built like a open square with weights placed on the outside and a grip on each side. You stand in the middle and you grab the grips and go for it. :happy:

If you have trouble understanding this principle let me know and maybe I will take time to do a video on youtube or something Look at my pictures before I got sick on my profile. I know what I am talking about because I competed and trained others. Never have I taught flat back lifting. I teach balance where the body forms a straight line which takes the pressure off the lower back. :happy:

Research is essential. Using videos to film yourself for further evaluation and compare those videos to some of the other sites, like bodybuilders.com etc. Happy trails. :happy:
  • cparter
    Options
    I have not read the book, as it does not pertain to me, but 12+ reps on deadlifts seems quite high to me, as the deadlift is a power move which people usually only do a few reps of per set. Does the book suggest this many reps?
    12 to 15 reps is efficient if you are going for fitness. You do less reps and more sets (higher weight) if you are training for powerlifting or body building competetions. Even then you would have the days of higher reps, less sets and lower weights for body builders. Been there and done that.
  • cparter
    Options
    Hello
    First there are several different types of deadlifts but either way deadlifts does work the lower back and lats as well as your glutes and hamstrings. A good site to view the exercise and learn what muscles are worked is bodybuilding.com - Also see below:

Deadlifts are viewed primarily as a back movement; as this is where the main stress is throughout the movement. Indeed, the lower back (the erectors) will become big and strong after a surprisingly short period, with the deadlift. The latissimus dorsi and associated muscles are also worked to a large degree - especially at the top of the movement.

The deadlift is probably the best movement in terms of developing round, strong, glute muscles. On ascension, at the sticking point, the glutes are bought into play and can be squeezed at this point for a maximal contraction. Deadlifts also work all the surrounding hip/pelvic muscles

The deadlift works the entire leg region much the same as the squat does (except the squat is in many ways a superior leg developer). In fact most of the deadlifting movement is executed by the legs, with the back holding everything in place.

I hope this helps and answers your questions. Happy Lifting

Good info but do not forgot there is a big difference between hurting (pain) and muscle soreness. So, if you are in pain review what I stated. If you are just have muscle soreness then all is well in most instances.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Some very interesting replies to say the least.

Also, great to see a girl doing some pulls.

I'm no expert, but i do a bit of heavy deadlifting...im hopeless at explaining things, better at demonstrating, but i will try!

EDIT: I had an explanation, but pointless, this guy below hits the nail on the head for the perfect deadlift. :)

Videos are best...(better than my ****ty explanation)
    this guy is good: a really good freaking coach of all lifts really....watch it a few times. you'll get it. you should coma accross you're issue somewhere in his talk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKvoLu5Isk
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    First of all, the form of the deadlifts for NROLFW is a little different (not the straight leg that I was familiar with). They start with a bended knee. It took me a while to get the hang of it (my hubby helped me get it right). That deadlift and the squat are my fav excercises!! They are REALLY effective. I started deadlifing the 45 pound bar and was doing 85 lbs when I had to stop (for my shoulder pain). I started the squat at 45 pounds and was doing 105 when I stopped. I can't wait to get back to it (almost there)!

Anyway, I agree with the others who said you need to make sure you keep your back flat. To add to that, make sure you are pulling your shoulders blades together at the top of the lift. Keep your abs tight also. As you lift, you first focus on straightening your legs until the bar is above your knees. Then focus on pushing your hips out to stand up all the way and pull your shoulder baldes together in back. All the while keep your back flat - not arched. I feel it in my back, but it's the good stuff - not pain. It works your back, glutes and hams (for me anyway). I'm not very good at describing it, but for your back, you probably just need to make sure it's flat and not arched. I highly recommend doing it in front of a mirror.

There is a thread with a bunch of us who are doing NROLFW. Since they are all familiar with the program, they may be able to give you more info on how they do it also:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/205238-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-group?

For the others - the program starts you with a lower weight/higher reps and progresses you to heavier weights/lower reps. By the time you're done with Phase 1, you're at 3 sets if 8. I know some wondered about the high reps, so I wanted to throw that out there.

Good luck!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Nice vid. The following is also good:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Can't beat a bit of Mark Rippetoe...The deadlift is probably one of the easiest moves to master IF your starting position is good. You don't really need to overthink the movement.
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options
    Some very interesting replies to say the least.

Also, great to see a girl doing some pulls.

I'm no expert, but i do a bit of heavy deadlifting...im hopeless at explaining things, better at demonstrating, but i will try!

EDIT: I had an explanation, but pointless, this guy below hits the nail on the head for the perfect deadlift. :)

Videos are best...(better than my ****ty explanation)
    this guy is good: a really good freaking coach of all lifts really....watch it a few times. you'll get it. you should coma accross you're issue somewhere in his talk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKvoLu5Isk

Thanks for posting this video- This will help very much :smile:
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue until someone pointed out that I wasn't keeping the bar in close to my legs. You are supposed to start essentially with your feet centered under the bar. Bend at the knees when you lift, keeping a flat back with your abs tight. Keep the bar close to your body all of the way up. Push your hips forward at the top of the lift to finish standing up all of the way and complete the lift.

I hope this helps - once I started really watching my form and lifting slower to get it down, I no longer felt that twinge in the middle of my back.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Nice vid. The following is also good:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Can't beat a bit of Mark Rippetoe...The deadlift is probably one of the easiest moves to master IF your starting position is good. You don't really need to overthink the movement.

not really sure I agree with this. ANY compound lift is something you should take a long time mastering before attempting with heavy weight, especially one where form is so crucial to safety. Considering you need to be aware of 4 different muscle groups, 2 joints, and your back positioning, I'd say this is a technically complex move that is easy to screw up, especially if you are going for long sets (above 12) where fatigue can become an issue.

For beginners, I never usually recommend over 10 reps per set, fatigue is a HUGE problem in this routine, and fatigue breeds bad form, and bad form breeds injury. That's why I recommend lower rep, higher weight for this one (not 1RM type, but maybe 5% more than for other single joint moves).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    bump (I can't watch the youtube videos at work! :cry: )
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    not really sure I agree with this. ANY compound lift is something you should take a long time mastering before attempting with heavy weight, especially one where form is so crucial to safety. Considering you need to be aware of 4 different muscle groups, 2 joints, and your back positioning, I'd say this is a technically complex move that is easy to screw up, especially if you are going for long sets (above 12) where fatigue can become an issue.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't spend time mastering the move with good form before transitioning to a heavy weight and getting it deeply ingrained. That is certainly good advice.

However, I believe that overthinking sometimes causes as many problems as bad form. A decent coach will show you correct form and make the movement, certainly in the case of the deadlift, a natural one so that you your body tells you what you need to do, not your mind. This makes executing the move much easier. Being shown and then mimicking makes for a much smoother movement then being told and consciously knowing.

The same is true of the back squat. Many people have tremendous difficulty mastering the movement because they overthink it. Where should I place the bar, what about my hands, what angle should my feet be placed? However, get them in a position for a goblet squat and they can seemingly do it with ease and good form after only a few attempts. It's like kids in a playground. They seem to be able to get into a perfect squat position when they are messing around without even thinking about it. What then happens to make it so difficult when they become adults?

I don't think this is true for all big lifts though. I think it was you who mentioned the clean and jerk? That certainly does need to be approached on a much more conscious level. I just don't feel the deadlift falls into that category.