How did you start?

Options
2»

Replies

• soapyapples
    Options
    The moment for me was when I saw a picture of myself at a gathering of around 12 couples. I looked quite a bit larger than I had thought myself, and it was a wake up call. Especially since I was standing next to my 6' rather thin husband.

I started logging my calories at first and realized just how much I was eating on an average day. Some foods can be deceptively high in calories. Years ago I gave up fast food and soda and lost a lot of weight without doing anything else, but that was not going to work this time as I still don't eat/drink those. I realized it was my portions that were out of whack.

I registered here and started tracking and realized I needed to exercise if I wanted to eat more of the guilty-pleasure items. I joined the gym and started really small. I was actually extremely intimated by the gym-regulars. After I got comfortable to the unspoken gym rules, I started new machines and started swimming. I lost around 15 pounds (2 inches from my bust, 4 inches off my waist, and 5 inches from my hips). That January I started school again for my second Bachelor's and was still working full time so I let myself "go" a little, but I have just freshened my desire to loose even more weight, but this time I will not be able to devote much time to regular exercise. So I bought a food scale and have been logging everything with exact weights (I used to just guestimate). I will be adding more exercise as I figure out how to add it in with my schedule, even if its just an extra long walk with the dog!

Keep your hope alive, don't get down that it isn't happening in 10 days, the journey is for a lifetime.
  • simonbraunercave
    simonbraunercave Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just started. Restarted. I have genetically through the roof cholesterol levels and high blood pressure - on meds for both. Want to get off both but recognise with teh former may not be possible. Any advice or support gratefully received.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    lol, I started with staying in a hotel that did not have a gym. They were affiliated with a gym 1 mile away, so I started jogging (stumbling) to and fro every day, and lost 15lbs in 2 weeks ... that was it, hooked ... lost total of 40lbs or so, and have been in maintenance mode for last 1 1/2 year, with this year 2 half marathons scheduled (and paid for :) )
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Slow and steady for me. I got started by focusing on my fitness. At the time all I could do is walk very slowly around my neighborhood.

After awhile I was able to go a little longer and a little faster and I was seeing very small changes. I was then able to start incorporating more exercise.

Then I tackled my diet by cutting back on my portions and figuring out what worked for me through trial and error.

Once I found my groove, the weight and inches came off. It motivated me to keep going and I never stopped!

I'm maintaining now, but I still work at it everyday to maintain my weight.

Good luck to you OP. You can do it!

Edited to add: Oh wow, I just realized this post is from 2013. Well, I hope the OP did it! :)