Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    20-40g isnt much fiber i eat 150+
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I take Miralax once a week. Even that didn't help much this week. Kind of frustrating.
  • donnamcnulty
    donnamcnulty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take a prebiotic fiber supplement everyday.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I realize this thread stopped getting attention ten days ago, and I hope all is well now, joannalouise. I did want to comment, however, just in case.

Certain kinds of Magnesium are better than others. Magnesium Oxide works the best, and I was told to take up to 800 mg per day. (Please do as your Dr. says, though) The body can not utilize much of the magnesium in the oxide form, so you don't overdose.

Are you taking any new medications? Some can cause constipation.

Have you taken antibiotics recently? They can upset the work your good bacteria usually do. Actually, all kinds of things can upset your intestinal microbiome, including sugar, artificial sweetener, pesticides in food, etc.

Sometimes B vitamins cause constipation. Calcium too. And for me, peculiarly - Vitamin D :(

Rice, eggs and cheese are known to be constipating.

Be VERY careful about psylium husk and oat bran and other soluble fiber. It can make your problem much worse, even if you are drinking lots of water. Insoluble fiber worked best for me. (Wheat bran)

I had a very bad time with this issue for about 4 months. It started when I got a bit dehydrated while traveling, and continued from there, even though I seemed to be doing everything right. The problem resolved itself finally, and I've been fine for the last few years. Good luck to you!

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I suffer from IBD (ulcerative colitis) and IBS and sometimes constipation is an issue. I find ground flaxseed really helps (you can sprinkle it on porridge,yoghurt etc). But I would urge you to see a doctor if this has been going on for weeks,just to rule out anything more serious.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Anxiety really backs me up. Years ago, I didn't poop for most of a summer because my nieces were there and kids that young stress me out big time.
  • joannalouise92
    joannalouise92 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No antibiotics, no vitamins, I've stopped eating dairy and eggs. I don't take fibre supplements just eat 20g+ a day in my fruit/veg, I definitely drink enough water like 12+ glasses a day and several mugs of green tea also, at the very least I walk 45 mins each day too... I'm still constipated
    Really really getting me down as it's so deflating waking up in the morning feeling so full up from the night before but despite straining for a while .. nothing!

I have a doctor appointment next week but until then I just want to curl up in a ball and be a huge bloated mess in private.. obviously my weight is steadily going up since the weekend when I last pooped properly
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Drink smooth move tea by traditional medicinals. One cup will set you right

http://ca.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/smooth-move/
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's partly position related? Tried using a squatty potty or anything like that? Might be worth a shot
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You only say what your fibre has been like for the last two days. What does it average a day over two weeks,?

Do you peel your fruit or veggies?
  • benstronger
    benstronger Posts: 381 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No antibiotics, no vitamins, I've stopped eating dairy and eggs. I don't take fibre supplements just eat 20g+ a day in my fruit/veg, I definitely drink enough water like 12+ glasses a day and several mugs of green tea also, at the very least I walk 45 mins each day too... I'm still constipated
    Really really getting me down as it's so deflating waking up in the morning feeling so full up from the night before but despite straining for a while .. nothing!

I have a doctor appointment next week but until then I just want to curl up in a ball and be a huge bloated mess in private.. obviously my weight is steadily going up since the weekend when I last pooped properly

It's great that you've made an appointment to see the doctor - it's good to seek professional medical advice if you're not too sure what's happening to you.

According to your diet + lifestyle + what everyone has mentioned, it would seem that A LOT of things can cause constipation. IMHO, everyone is different so if you're happy with what you're doing at the moment to lose weight - stick to it until your doctors says otherwise.

Tips for the doctor's appointment - mention any other symptoms that you may have apart from the constipation (e.g. tummy pains? have you been feeling more gassy recently? any vomiting?), the supplements you've been taking since the constipation has started (the magnesium tablets), anyone else in the family ever having something similar to this, also your regular bowel habits.

My only suggestion for temporary constipation relief would be to drink prune juice - I know not a lot of people like the taste, but it is known to stimulate bowel movements - but if you're not feeling like prune juice, then it's just best to ask your doctor what's the next best course of action!

Hope all goes well for you! :)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I really don't like coffee unfortunately .. and well I don't want to take any more magnesium as the bottle tells me not to exceed 250mg per day (which is what I'm taking).. it's very frustrating and making me feel ill

Caffeine is your friend in this area, I assure you. That said, if you really are eating all this fiber that you say you are, and still having issues, it's time to go see the doc.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Looking at the ingredients,the main one is senna. Which is a laxative.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I develop the same problem when I don't get enough fat in my diet. I'm working with a health coach (through my insurance) and she sent me the following link:

http://www.consultant360.com/n411/articles/constipation-relieving-it-healthy-way
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    tarothelp wrote: »

Where do you find this?

You are in Canada so you will find it at fortinos in the health section and most health stores sell it it's a popular brand. A cup at night before bed is best. Don't brew too long until u r used to it. Now I just leave the bag in the cut I can take it strong.......But it bloody well works I'll tell ya!! Lol

I also drink their dandelion root tea (in a jug of water a couple tbsp each of lemon juice unsweetened cranberry juice and a cup of dandelion tea which has stepped for 10 minutes put it all into a big jug filled with water and drink throughout the day it helps to loose the extra water if you tend to retain water!

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Where do you find this?

You are in Canada so you will find it at fortinos in the health section and most health stores sell it it's a popular brand. A cup at night before bed is best. Don't brew too long until u r used to it. Now I just leave the bag in the cut I can take it strong.......But it bloody well works I'll tell ya!! Lol

I also drink their dandelion root tea (in a jug of water a couple tbsp each of lemon juice unsweetened cranberry juice and a cup of dandelion tea which has stepped for 10 minutes put it all into a big jug filled with water and drink throughout the day it helps to loose the extra water if you tend to retain water!

So you take laxatives and diuretics? I hope you don't drink smooth move tea very often as unfortunately your body will become dependent on laxatives to function.
  • fabiosoyyo
    fabiosoyyo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you should try psyllium husk...that was the cure for me, helped me get my fiber goals.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

^^^^

I second this. Just don't drink it everyday for weeks, since senna is an herbal laxative, and you can eventually become dependent on it. I brew mine for about 15 minutes and usually get relief 6-8 hours later.