Bringing my calories up ...for women

Options
So.. I have about 15 more pounds to lose. (5ft. Female) I try to eat 1200 calories a day. Everything is going great .. I'm losing weight. Then , I start spotting and my period never comes . I feel really bloated and cramping but nothing is happening . I been eating about 1500 cal. For two days now and my cramps r getting stronger. Anyone else have to bring up calories to get your period ???

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    personally iv been fine at 1200 and im 5 ft 3 and fairly active :o Im careful to make sure i get the proper macros in wherever possible, And if i exercise i eat half back. I cant imagine a true 1500 calories would stop a period :o
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Im having a similar problem. While I was eating 1200 calories a day I had my periods but they would be really short and very light. Though now Im eating 1800 calories a day and my periods are still lighter and shorter then when I was eating 1200 calories a day.

Also some medicines have side effects that mess with periods so I would also check that.

Though if this continues you should see a doctor. Since from what I know periods are the bodies way of saying everything is ok. So by them not coming raises a red flag.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Well adjustments to your body/hormones don't happen overnight. Also if you're adding calories I would add 150 at a time ... increasing by 150 weekly so you don't get bloated from all the extra food
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    See your doctor. Seriously. Loss of period is not a good thing, in an otherwise healthy (?) woman of appropriate age. Granny sez, Don't mess around with this - if all is well, we are fertile. It isn't always a blessing, but it's always a sign of balance. Wishing you strong and healthy, always! :)

This.

Please see a doctor.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor.
  • goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise or take medications. When I was younger this happened before and they put me on birth control. I don't like taking any pills.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    mstein5195 wrote: »
    I don't exercise or take medications. When I was younger this happened before and they put me on birth control. I don't like taking any pills.

This doesn't change the fact that you need to go to your doctor. Losing your period is not normal if you're young and healthy. Your doctor is best placed to advise you how to proceed. He may even have a solution that does not include taking pills, but you can't know that if you don't ask...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor.

Loss of period could be many things. Heck, you could be pregnant. My first symptoms with all three of my pregnancies was cramping but no period. Or, it could be hormonal imbalance. Or, Or, Or.

See a doctor.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes, I had to increase calorie intake to get my period back. It took a couple of months of consistently eating more.

But yes, see a doctor.
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    Thank u all
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that eating too little doesn't directly prevent your period from happening--it prevents ovulation. Then if don't ovulate, you get no period. If you know you ovulated this month, your period should come regardless of your diet...unless you're pregnant.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    So.. I have about 15 more pounds to lose. (5ft. Female) I try to eat 1200 calories a day. Everything is going great .. I'm losing weight. Then , I start spotting and my period never comes . I feel really bloated and cramping but nothing is happening . I been eating about 1500 cal. For two days now and my cramps r getting stronger. Anyone else have to bring up calories to get your period ???

Are your calories net or gross, IOW, are you including exercise calories in your totals?
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    I can't get pregnant and I don't work out
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    I eat about 1200 cal a day . I'm not paying attention to anything else
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You need to go to the doctor. It may have nothing to do with your eating habits.