Cycling calories

Options
Hello all,

First time poster and I have a question about Cycling.

From a physics perspective, I understand that accelerating a mass (my weight) and maintaining a speed over a certain distance in a certain time requires a certain amount of energy. So when i calculate my calories on MFP that's the calculation it is doing.

When I started recording this data my heart rate and exertion level was high. As I have got fitter, if I cover the same distance in the same time (and i'm the same weight) it requires less effort and a lower heartrate.

My question is therefore what energy/calorie difference if any is there?

Thanks,

Simon

Replies

• CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I cycle to and from work every day and I've often wondered this - be interested to hear any responses :)

As I've felt myself getting fitter and stronger, I generally try to push myself a bit harder (i.e. cycle a little further up the steepest hill, a little faster on the flat stretches etc) so that I'm always feeling it :)
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I would expect that as your fitness improves you will be exerting less energy, so a lower burn
  • simonbillinton
    Options
    But I think there is a base energy calculation for any exercise (based on the physics) regardless of your effort level.

So I guess my question is what effect a person's individual effort has above and beyond this base calculation?
  • jpralston1
    Options
    I don't think it would change anything, just as lifting the same weight in a weight room would require just as much work for anyone, regardless of strength. Your fitness level has more to do with your lactic threshold and cardiovascular strength. your body will be better equipped to provide oxygen to your muscles so you do not feel the burn at the same effort level, but the overall amount should not change by a whole lot. Now if you lose a bunch of weight, that will certainly affect the number burned!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

First time poster and I have a question about Cycling.

From a physics perspective, I understand that accelerating a mass (my weight) and maintaining a speed over a certain distance in a certain time requires a certain amount of energy. So when i calculate my calories on MFP that's the calculation it is doing.

When I started recording this data my heart rate and exertion level was high. As I have got fitter, if I cover the same distance in the same time (and i'm the same weight) it requires less effort and a lower heartrate.

My question is therefore what energy/calorie difference if any is there?

Thanks,

Simon

You seem to be thinking of it as defeating inertia and gravity. However it's the machine you're using to do so that makes the difference. Imagine if you will a beginner exerciser as a slightly rusty machine with tiny gears. those gears have to rotate 10 times and build up more friction to lift a 100 pound object.

However as you become stronger or your heart becomes healthier you're gears grow and the rust gets knocked off. Your larger gears now only have to rotate 5 times with less friction to lift the same 100 pound object. Therefore yes less effort.

With any exercise program if you want to keep progressing you have to keep pushing harder and / or for a greater distance. A person who rides his bike to work every day would be able do a novices ride ride of exhaustion without any real exertion what so ever.

Your heart rate monitor should do the calculations for you if you have one.