how do you balance weightlifting and running?

Options
mustb60
mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
Those who run and do strength training as well, how do you manage so none would suffer in performance? I have been trying to balance my running and lifting schedule but after lifting my legs are so sore it really affects my speed. My plan is 4 days running -3 days lifting. But I have not been successful to follow it completely so far, either I have to miss/postpone running or weightlifting. So far I am able to lift only once a week which is very dissatisfactory to me. Need some advice of experienced people here.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I had to choose one. The iron won.
  • mustb60
    Options
    I had to choose one. The iron won.

I think I am two-timing!
  • spencekelliem
    spencekelliem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I run before I lift (either the day before or on the same day depending on mileage of run) and then have a rest day after lifting
  • mustb60
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I run before I lift (either the day before or on the same day depending on mileage of run) and then have a rest day after lifting
    What's your mileage on before lift day?
    How many lift session per week?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Your legs are probably sore because you are only lifting once a week. If you did the same exercises 2-3 times a week your muscles would get used to it and not respond with soreness. If you want to do both you will have to stick to a schedule and do them both consistently. If you don't have time for both, pick one.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I strength train 2-3 days a week and train for triathlons - so they work together - my plan is normally strength train and then swim; day after is a lighter session (easy spin on bike) and then run

you may do better to do a couple of two a days and build in a rest day or two
  • mustb60
    Options
    Your legs are probably sore because you are only lifting once a week. If you did the same exercises 2-3 times a week your muscles would get used to it and not respond with soreness. If you want to do both you will have to stick to a schedule and do them both consistently. If you don't have time for both, pick one.
    I suspect the same. Just will need to tweak my running days and halve it 50/50 and follow it. Good advice. Thank you.
  • mustb60
    Options
    I strength train 2-3 days a week and train for triathlons - so they work together - my plan is normally strength train and then swim; day after is a lighter session (easy spin on bike) and then run

you may do better to do a couple of two a days and build in a rest day or two

Triathlon is really cool!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I'm an avid cycling enthusiast. Basically I train in seasons. When I'm training for cycling events and am essentially in cycling season, my focus is on my cycling and lifting becomes something more supplemental...I don't lift heavy and don't run programs that would have me squatting and/or dead lifting every training bout and generally keep my lifting to a couple of times per week.

When I'm off season like now, I strike more of a balance...right now I lift on Monday, ride on Tuesday (usually sprint intervals), lift on Wednesday, recovery pace ride or go for a walk on Thursday (rest day), tempo intervals on Friday, easy spin to and from the gym to lift on Saturday, and longer endurance ride on Sunday.

For my lifting I also follow a non linear undulating periodization scheme that runs in 4 week cycles...right now I'm on the first week of a heavier cycle...so more heavy and very heavy days with some moderate and light days thrown into the mix over the next four weeks...then I will transition to a more moderate cycle with more moderate weight/rep days with heavier and light days mixed in throughout the cycle. By the end of the next 8 weeks I will be moving into season and will pull back to 2 days per week and go between 6 week cycles of more light weight/higher rep days and moderate weight/rep through about the end of September.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I do think you'll have to choose which is your primary focus, and then schedule to fit that preference. For me, running is my primary focus - I have 2 half marathons I'm training for in the spring, and my first full in November. This will change, because my training schedule will eventually move up to 5 days/week running, and then 6. Right now I'm doing about 30 miles per week, about to start building to 45, and then will be hitting low 60s over the summer/fall for marathon training. But right now, this is my schedule:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - mid-range general aerobic run at lunch/leg-heavy strength training after work ('A' routine)
    Wednesday - cross-training - Zumba
    Thursday - mid-range speed training run
    Friday - mid-range general aerobic run
    Saturday - cross-training - Zumba + strength training ('B' routine, taking it easy on legs)
    Sunday - long run

Sometimes I might shift Saturday's strength to Friday, if I want to go heavier on the leg stuff.

I made myself a really simple 2 day lifting program that I grabbed from someone's post on these forums, and then modified a bit:

5vvc4zk4rr1u.jpg

I didn't want to give up the lifting because it genuinely helps with my running, and so far this is the best way I've found to fit it all in.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You have to decide which one is your priority and which is an accessory. A long run one day impacts my lifting the next day. A heavy lifting session makes me slow if I try to run the next.
    I honestly don't think you can improve much in both at the same time. You can improve a little in one and a lot in the other. But not both.
    If you are doing three days of lifting and four days of running, you aren't resting enough. Your progress will probably stop.
    I decided running is my priority right now. I run 3-4 days a week and lift 1-2 days. I am progressing in my running and I actually enjoy my barbell time more because I don't get to do it as often.
    I think that I am not really progressing in my lifting any more. I should admit that. But I am not losing ground either, so I am okay with that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Those who run and do strength training as well, how do you manage so none would suffer in performance? I have been trying to balance my running and lifting schedule but after lifting my legs are so sore it really affects my speed. My plan is 4 days running -3 days lifting. But I have not been successful to follow it completely so far, either I have to miss/postpone running or weightlifting. So far I am able to lift only once a week which is very dissatisfactory to me. Need some advice of experienced people here.

What are your goals?

Do you run with some strength training, or strength train with some running for cardio?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not currently lifting but need to get back into it. When I was I would just run to the gym and back. It also eliminates the need to warm up.
  • spencekelliem
    spencekelliem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    What's your mileage on before lift day?
    How many lift session per week?

Depends on the day.

I lift on Monday, Thursday & Saturday.
    Weekday runs are usually anywhere between 30mins and an hour. Weekend runs are usually 60mins to 90 mins.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I walk/run 2 miles before I lift daily. The thing is I'm muscular and have been for a long time now so I don't have to intensely train in lifting anymore since I'm just maintaining. If I were, I'd split my running and lifting apart by a few hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days lifting, 3-4 days of running, never on the same day (almost never, anyway). I cycled for awhile (more running, less and lighter lifting for awhile, then more lifting and less cardio). I limit my running a bit, at least compared to what I could do. I run 3-5 during the week, and one weekend day I'll do 5-10. I had more soreness issues starting out, so it took some time to adjust. My legs are too tired for lifting on the same day as running--tried that too.

Best of luck!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I lift 2x a week, run 5x a week and do non running cardio once a week. I do lifting on an easy run day and on my cross training day. Also, if your main goal is to develop your running abilities (that's my goal), you should be doing lighter weights / higher reps. If you can work it out so you run outside before work, and then lift after work, that helps.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I struggled for a long time and finally decided I had to prioritize one.

I chose running because I liked it best. I still like lifting, but it's second favorite. I don't have goals as a lifter the way I do as a runner.

So, I don't aim to lift particularly "heavy", just heavy enough to be challenging. I concentrate on form, using medium loads with more reps. I enjoy working out more that way and am less likely to trigger migraines. This impacts my overall training less too.

Backing off from lifting heavy was the compromise I made. I still lift three days a week. I generally run 6 days a week.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my first marathon (it was acutally a half marathon Saturday and full marathon on Sunday), I focused soley on running. I ran like Forrest Freaking Gump. I finished the marathon, but was disappointed with the way my body handled it. I signed up for another half marathon not long after, and decided I needed a change, I had 7 months in between, and decided to focus more on a cardio/strength program, and do a long run on the weekends. I decided to borrow a friends Insanity Max 30 DVD's and was hooked. I did that 5 days a week, and since it was only 30 minutes, I would walk or jog for another 30 miutes after. Then on Saturday's I would go for a long run. I also did 15 minutes of yoga each morning, and again before bed. I was in MUCH better shape for the half marathon. I wasn't as sore, I shaved a few minutes off of my time, and I felt stronger on the course.