HAVE YOU EVER DONE A JUICE FAST

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I have read that fasting can help autoimmune disorders. - I considered trying it (I have ulcerative colitis ) but can't find any actual hard research. Can't see how it helps long term with weight loss.

I would think it would make it worse since it stresses the body of what it actually needs....food. Stress is typically at the top if the list for flare ups with autoimmune. Remote stress and autoimmune disease gets better.

Yeah you'd think so. I wish I could find the research and post it here.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't do juice or smoothie fasts unless you plan on doing them forever because the weight will just come back after you're done fasting.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No, i have fasted only on water though but for another kind of reason and it was one day and yeah no, I get cranky if I don't eat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like fresh juices as an addition to my routine though, not as the only thing I'm taking in. I have switched to smoothies though, so I keep the fibre. I find it helps me reach some of my micro targets better, and I'm not a morning person, so a smoothie with protein powder in the morning is great for early shifts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I could just about live on smoothies, but just juice no way! Not to mention, my smoothies are quite the calorie bomb, but they do include decent amounts of protein, fat and fibre which are all just about void from juices.
  • andreag89
    andreag89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have done it, and I lost weight. And I gained it back. Note that in his books he does state that he lost muscle, too, and he gained back a decent chunk of the weight that he lost. So if you're thinking like I did - I'll lose it to jump start and I'll just keep losing - BEWARE OF THIS THOUGHT. Once you eat, some of that weight will come back on because...well, you're eating.

I recommend his recipes. They are often vegan, full of good stuff. Soups, salads, main dishes made of veggies. I felt great eating the foods from the recipes I find on his site, and the recipes aren't "gimmicky."

Juicing is expensive, too. But yes, you will feel great and "lighter" but just don't kid yourself that it is sustainable for a long period of time.
  • Kcash1996
    Kcash1996 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    IF REFERENCE to juice fast, I do mean the all natural juice fast consisting of juice made at home from fresh fruits and vegetables, it is called a reboot, from sick, fat and nearly dead. it is to help your body work the way it is suppose to. I believe you will gain the weight right back if you resume normal eating, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Not a juice for 30-60 days and then back to the way you use to eat. why do the fast at all?
  • Kcash1996
    edited February 2017
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE BEEN FEEDING YOUR BODY, PROCESSED FOOD, AKA JUNK, IT MAKES THE BODY SLUGGISH, WHEN YOU DO A NATURAL JUICE, (PREPARING YOUR OWN JUICE FROM FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES) YOU GET A HIGHER NUTRIENT SUPPLY THAN THAT OF EATING THE FRUIT AND VEGETABLES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT LOST THROUGH DIGESTION WITH THE FIBER. IT IS ONLY MEANT TO BE DONE FOR A SHORT TERM, GIVING YOUR BOWLS, AND STOMACH TIME TO REST.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Re: the supposed higher nutrient supply......

Juice fasts are very often low protein and low fat. Both are very important macro-nutrients. I would be much more concerned with getting too little protein or fat, than not enough vitamin A, D, E, or K. Besides those are fat soluble vitamins. Doing a low fat juice fast is going to prevent absorption anyway.

Good point. Plus, if vitamin pee is what someone is after, there is a pill for that without the unnecessary sugar calories. The calories can be used on things that won't leave you ravenous.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    IF REFERENCE to juice fast, I do mean the all natural juice fast consisting of juice made at home from fresh fruits and vegetables, it is called a reboot, from sick, fat and nearly dead. it is to help your body work the way it is suppose to. I believe you will gain the weight right back if you resume normal eating, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Not a juice for 30-60 days and then back to the way you use to eat. why do the fast at all?

There's the problem. FSND is basically just one big commercial for their juicing scheme, disguised as a documentary. It's utter nonsense.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    The only study I can find any sensible info on was actually done with mice....

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/06june/pages/5-2-diet-style-fast-immune-booster-study-finds.aspx
  • Kcash1996
    Options
    I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO TELL ME HOW WRONG MY OPINION IS, BUT RATHER EXPERIENCES WITH IT! AND IF I WANT TO SHOUT, OR USE ALL CAPS, I WILL. NOW GOOD DAY, I SAY GOOD DAY
This discussion has been closed.