I can't get my shi*t together

Options
For as long as I can remember, I've needed to and wanted to lose weight. I jump on the bandwagon just to jump right back off. Now, I'm the highest weight I've ever been and severely unhappy with myself...not necessarily because of the weight but because of my lack of effort to fix it.

Five weeks ago, I started working with a personal trainer and nutritionist. While I've been diligently attending all of my workouts, I still can't get my nutrition on track. I know what I NEED to change in my life to meet my goals, but in the moment, I always talk myself into ordering the fries or getting takeout instead of cooking dinner.

So I guess why I'm here, is that I'm looking for other people like me. Do you struggle to stay on track? Or, if you used to be this way, what was your final breaking point? How did you finally commit?

Replies

• MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I struggle hard core with the eating thing. It's so hard to get that one down.
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think it is key to figure out why we don't allow ourselves to be successful. Why do we sabotage the weight loss that we want so badly and need for good health. What are we afraid of? What are we angry about? This is what I'm working on and I could relate to what you were saying OP.
  • UK92
    UK92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The reason I found it so hard to commit in the first place was because I was being too strict and expecting miracles to happen in a short period of time. I'd last a few days and back to my old habits. You don't have to give up on your favourite foods, just fit them into your daily calorie goal. Also, if you have a bad day don't be too hard on yourself, they happen and you just have to keep going. You can do this!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I think you will have better chance at success once you stop restricting food groups, especially foods you love. Eat what you want in moderation, particulate in the beginning as you are learning. When I lost my weight, 60 pounds, I ate ice cream every day. I still eat what I want, my wants have changed a little, but for me to succeed, I have to eat what I like, I just can't eat ALL OF IT.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    longest i've been on track these past 4 years was 2 weeks straights. it's like my body wants me to gain back every pound i lost, even if i only lose 4 pounds. as soon as i gain back the 4lbs the binges stop. i recently started upping my calories. maybe your calorie goal is too aggressive :/ or doing too much at once

i don't even bother working out until i get my eating under control.
  • owlcake
    owlcake Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way!! Waiting for my moment where I figure it out. I want to loose so bad
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love junk food, planning is really what helps me. Plan the meals for the week, buy the groceries for those meals, take lunches to work. It's when I get lazy and fall behind on meal prep that I slip with the diet.
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try to take things one day at a time - I find that if I think too much in the long term, I start to overthink things.
    I do struggle, but I just remember what I am trying to achieve to help keep me on track. Change one thing until it becomes a habit, such as drinking more water or eating more fruit/veg, have a takeaway less regularly, once a month rather than once a week for example.
    Everyone is different and something that works for you might not work for anyone else but all you can do is try - what have you got to lose!?
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Girl. You are speaking my language. I read something earlier tonight (by writer Laura McKowen) that I loved and so I offer it here for you:

The normal question is, "Is this bad enough for me to have to change?"

The question we should be asking is, "Is this good enough for me to stay the same?"

And the real question underneath it all is, "AM I FREE?"

Thank you for sharing this, I think if I can change to this mentality it will really help me. At the moment all those little things I am eating that "won't hurt" have added up and I have regained lots of what I lost. I don't want to stay how I am now and I think this quote will help. I am going to print it out! Thanks again :-)

Best of luck to the OP! It is hard, but I think the hardest bit is getting started. You got this!

• leoniemcdee
    leoniemcdee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just got really sick of feeling bad. My poor diet was making my reflux worse. Lack of exercise wasn't helping my mental health. And I felt self-conscious ALL the time. I hated being in photos and buying clothes. I'm 20lbs down, 20-30 more to go (haven't decided where I'll settle yet) and I feel LOADS better. Healthier, slimmer and more self-confident.

It's the ultimate act of self love to give yourself what you really want. It is hard work, it is a struggle but the rewards are more than worth it.

Also, it's really important to remember that you can't be perfect at it. You don't have to go to the gym 7 days a week and eat 'clean' (which is a BS term anyway). For weightloss, all you have to do is eat less than you burn. Moving more helps too but isn't necessary. I would simply recommend it for all the other amazing benefits.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have had endless arguments with the two voices in my head. I have recently learnt some stuff about how our brains work and this has helped me a lot to make sense of this apparent contradiction in my own head.

Basically the bit that wants to indulge and eat all the time can be seen as a very primitive / animalistic bit of the brain. OR like a toddler that wants immediate sensory gratifiation all the time.

It is more complex than this, but I have found it really useful to identify that "chimp" voice using this simple metaphor and just tell her she has had her banana, or some grapes, and she is not in charge - the adult brain is in charge she has to get back into her cage. It makes me laugh and discharges the tension ...

It doesn't work all the time, depending on the stress of the context, but it works several times a day!
    I have also done other things to identify specific habits that I want to change, which I know are MY trigger spots to over-eating in certain situations. e.g. I know I tend to go in search of chocolate when I go shopping after my gym trip - so I started to pack a flask of coffee and a banana to eat in between and then I dont feel so empty or in need of a treat when I go to the supermarket.

So far these simple devices are working pretty well for me.

If this sounds interesting there is more info on this sort of brain activity on this site:
    http://brainoverbinge.com/blog/

Good luck
    x
  • jennjune2014
    jennjune2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember, I've needed to and wanted to lose weight. I jump on the bandwagon just to jump right back off. Now, I'm the highest weight I've ever been and severely unhappy with myself...not necessarily because of the weight but because of my lack of effort to fix it.

Five weeks ago, I started working with a personal trainer and nutritionist. While I've been diligently attending all of my workouts, I still can't get my nutrition on track. I know what I NEED to change in my life to meet my goals, but in the moment, I always talk myself into ordering the fries or getting takeout instead of cooking dinner.

So I guess why I'm here, is that I'm looking for other people like me. Do you struggle to stay on track? Or, if you used to be this way, what was your final breaking point? How did you finally commit?

My final breaking point was my health. I was in ICU for 8 days. My heart stopped. I now have a second chance to get my health in order. It was the push i needed to commit.

Without the struggle there is no progress. Every day is a new dream. Commit to your plans for that 24 hours. Wake up and repeat the process. When you have a set back, acknowledge it and get back on the horse. Focus on what you did well for the day.

(If you let yourself wallow in set backs. It makes it eaiser to justify not changing) dont let a bad day derail all your hard work.

Things to try.

Get foods that are not in your plan out of the house

Find some great healthy recipies. Go grocery shopping

Pre make meals. Freeze them.

Prepare for cravings.
    Salty.
    Jerky , quest protein chips, parmesan cheese crisp. Pizza stuffed mushrooms.

Sweet.
    Rasberries with light whipping cream. Or dannon light n fit greek yogurt.
    Strawberries dipped in chocolate
    Sugarfree cheese cake pudding with a scoop of protein powder. Top with fruit or sugar free cholate or caramel syrup.
    Sugar free vanilla pudding pumpkin puree pumpkin pie spice vanillia protein powder.
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    spent 9 months and THOUSANDS of dollars training with a personal trainer with no weight loss. I did gain some muscle and build stamina, but my goal was fat loss and I didn't have ANY despite all that time, $, effort...

I wholeheartedly second this! I did the same - KILLED myself in the gym with a personal trainer for months and months (and wasted $3000!), only to lose 4 lbs. Not only was that a motivation-killer, but the training sessions were way too hard on my body (I'm not in my 20s or 30s anymore) and my body started to break down.

Now I'm back to it, and determined to get my diet piece sorted out.