Too far back on treadmill

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't use the gym treadmill much (only for warmups) - mostly do outside walking and use the gym for weights.

Several people have pointed out that I'm often too far back and run the risk off flying off backwards, but I can't seem to correct this. Any strategies?

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Slow the speed a bit?
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^best answer.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Slow the speed a bit?

90% of the time I'm only walking 3.2 mph
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Maybe hold onto the handles until you get a feel for the pace you need to stay closer to the front.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If you can maintain your position o the treadmill too far back, I don't see why you can't maintain your position closer to the front. Get in the ;position you need to be and stay there, just like you're staying in position too far back. Or, since you're not falling off the treadmill, stay where you are comfortable.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Too steep an incline? At least, for the speed you're going?
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is that big of a deal if you walk close to the back of the treadmill. So what if your back foot falls off the treadmill. The front foot might come down a little bit sooner as your back foot falls off, but you are still fine. I've had this happen to me before when I get really tired and can't keep the pace. You'll be ok. The sensation is very distinct. You can feel the roller as your back foot lifts off. Just a reminder to go a little bit faster. Also at least for me, it is fairly easy to catch the rails if I slip up to bad. Happy treadmilling.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Slow the speed a bit?

90% of the time I'm only walking 3.2 mph

Maybe that's too fast for you right now. I would agree with slowing down until you get the hang of it so you can do it safely.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and actually flew off my treadmill. What I learned to do is get as far as I can towards the front of the treadmill, hold on to the bar until I get a good stride going. If I feel myself getting a little pass the midsection of the walking Belt then I pick up my stride a bit to move farther to the front.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    ajoseph5 wrote: »
    I had the same problem and actually flew off my treadmill. What I learned to do is get as far as I can towards the front of the treadmill, hold on to the bar until I get a good stride going.

This works - but hanging on seems cheating.
    ajoseph5 wrote: »
    If I feel myself getting a little pass the midsection of the walking Belt then I pick up my stride a bit to move farther to the front.

thats' my problem - I fell like I'm up at the front most of the time - and therefore I don't try to catch up
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The poster stated he holds on until he gets his stride right. No cheating there. I would offer the same tip. If you're comfortable with the speed, grab the bar and hold onto it until you get a good stride going to stay in a better position on the treadmill. Then let go!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    look down every now and then. When you are drifting back, speed up until you are at the front of the machine.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you don't actually fall off the treadmill then I don't see the problem, you can clearly keep up with the pace. It seems the only reason you can't stay towards the front is some sort of mental reason.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    There is no cheating if your doing it as a warm up - hold or or don't. 5 mins later, you're warmed up either way.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    There is no cheating if your doing it as a warm up - hold or or don't. 5 mins later, you're warmed up either way.

Very good point - thanks
  • Bob314159
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    If you don't actually fall off the treadmill then I don't see the problem, you can clearly keep up with the pace. It seems the only reason you can't stay towards the front is some sort of mental reason.

Exactly - mental not physical - unless I have a steep incline
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I seen a woman leaning back like the matrix lol when stepping, try to step as front as possible of the treadmill but don't do wide steps. Keep small steps aiming for the front.