Turmeric...Is it as beneficial as people say?

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    SR1986 wrote: »
    I'm big into natural supplements. Not "diet pills" pushed by big companies.

The supplements industry is a multi million BILLION dollar business run by huge companies which are often associated with "big pharma" and which use misleading advertising, bogus health claims and media manipulation to sell their stuff. It is not some cute cottage industry that should be swallowed whole. Sure, some supplements have effects. Many have none, except on your wallet. Don't turn your brain off just because it comes in pretty packaging with leaves on it. People are making money off of this - big money.

Fixed it for you.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

The supplements industry is a multi million BILLION dollar business run by huge companies which are often associated with "big pharma" and which use misleading advertising, bogus health claims and media manipulation to sell their stuff. It is not some cute cottage industry that should be swallowed whole. Sure, some supplements have effects. Many have none, except on your wallet. Don't turn your brain off just because it comes in pretty packaging with leaves on it. People are making money off of this - big money.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

The supplements industry is a multi million dollar business run by huge companies which are often associated with "big pharma" and which use misleading advertising, bogus health claims and media manipulation to sell their stuff. It is not some cute cottage industry that should be swallowed whole. Sure, some supplements have effects. Many have none, except on your wallet. Don't turn your brain off just because it comes in pretty packaging with leaves on it. People are making money off of this - big money.

And they ignore the well developed studies that show it does nothing.

It would be mainstream medicine if it worked.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My mom used it as anti-inflammatory for her arthritis at the urging of her rheumatologist. It ended up causing severe bleeding.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is supposedly great for you. I've read it's a great inflammatory. As well as its benefits to helping facilitate weight loss. I'm big into natural supplements. Not "diet pills" pushed by big companies. We all know that there's no magic pill. It's a lifestyle change and working with portion control, eating the right foods, along with supplements help that make our bodies change. I did read something about turmeric that I want to share with you guys without a supplement called biopryn added to or taken alongside the turmeric our bodies just don't digest and use the turmeric to its full potential. The biopryn increases turmeric absorption by 2000%!!! I don't remember where I saw it, but Google will surely bring it up if you're interested in learning more. I'm looking into finding some turmeric with it already added. PS I also read that brushing your teeth with it can whiten them. Not sure if that's true though.

I think I'll give that one a miss. I once spilled a turmeric paste all over my white kitchen tops. They turned a lovely shade of yellow and no amount of bleach got them white again.

http://www.skincareorg.com/teeth-whitening/turmeric-teeth-whitening-how-to-whiten-your-teeth-naturally-with-turmeric/
  • SR1986
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Turmeric is supposedly great for you. I've read it's a great inflammatory. As well as its benefits to helping facilitate weight loss. I'm big into natural supplements. Not "diet pills" pushed by big companies. We all know that there's no magic pill. It's a lifestyle change and working with portion control, eating the right foods, along with supplements help that make our bodies change. I did read something about turmeric that I want to share with you guys without a supplement called biopryn added to or taken alongside the turmeric our bodies just don't digest and use the turmeric to its full potential. The biopryn increases turmeric absorption by 2000%!!! I don't remember where I saw it, but Google will surely bring it up if you're interested in learning more. I'm looking into finding some turmeric with it already added. PS I also read that brushing your teeth with it can whiten them. Not sure if that's true though.

The anti-inflammatory properties have been discussed.

I'm curious what benefits you think turmeric has for facilitating weight loss?

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-and-weight-loss
  • SR1986
    Options
    Basically it helps detoxify the liver (the organ most responsible for fat burning)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Basically it helps detoxify the liver (the organ most responsible for fat burning)

No.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

What exactly is it detoxifying it of? Names please
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That entire sentence is a jumble of words that seem like they go together, but in fact, are totally meaningless.

What toxins does turmeric help your liver rid itself of? How is your liver responsible for fat burning?
  • SR1986
    Options

The supplements industry is a multi million dollar business run by huge companies which are often associated with "big pharma" and which use misleading advertising, bogus health claims and media manipulation to sell their stuff. It is not some cute cottage industry that should be swallowed whole. Sure, some supplements have effects. Many have none, except on your wallet. Don't turn your brain off just because it comes in pretty packaging with leaves on it. People are making money off of this - big money.

I don't buy anything in pretty packaging. I speak with my Dr about everything I take before I take it. I have a sluggish thyroid, hormonal imbalances because of having my tubes tied very young and I also have very many deficiencies caused by my hormone replacement meds. I take b complex and DHEA, evening primrose oil, chromium and iodine specifically for my metabolism as recommended by my Dr to try and get my thyroid functioning properly again without the help of prescription medication. I take vitamin e and vitamin c for my immune system. I take a daily prenatal vitamin for iron and folic acid. Occasionally when I'm feeling extremely sluggish I take caffeine. But try to avoid it because it makes me very anxious. So instead my Dr recommended the cayenne also for my metabolism. I take a diuretic because my hormone pills make me retain water daily not just during PMS. I'm talking several pounds of water. Sometimes as much as 6. I'm not taking anything without reason. Or because it's "hyped".
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If your liver needs detoxifying doctors would be very involved. You would be very sick.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It was a joke on my part. It does nothing. Just like apple cider vinegar.

Great on food for a seasoning.
    That's about it.

It's anti-inflammatory.
  • SR1986
    Options
    OK WOW! I WASN'T AWARE WE WERE HERE TO ATTACK EACHOTHER! MY BAD. I SAID SUPPOSEDLY. I ALSO SAID I READ IT SOMEWHERE. I ALSO SAID I READ ABOUT THE TEETH WHITENING THING. I WAS NOT ENDORSING A BRAND OR TURMERIC. I WAS JUST SAYING WHAT I HAD READ. THE OTHER THING I WROTE WAS BASICALLY A TL DR OF WHAT THAT WEBSITE SAID. THAT IT WORKS TO DETOXIFY THE LIVER. I READ ABOUT PUTTING TURMERIC IN SOMETHING CALLED GOLDEN MILK. NOT FROM A WEBSITE HOCKING PILLS. THE PLAIN OLD TURMERIC IN THE SPICE AISLE. I NEVER CLAIMED TO KNOW ANYTHING FOR SURE. SO WHY ALL OF YOU ARE BEING RUDE ABOUT WHAT I SAID IS BEYOND ME. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. IF I HAD LOW SELF ESTEEM YOU'D HAVE CHASED ME OFF AND POSSIBLY HALTED OR SCREWED UP WHAT THIS APP IS FOR, TO HELP US BETTER OURSELVES NOT TO BELITTLE AND CALL PEOPLE OUT FOR NO REASON. I REITERATE I NEVER CLAIMED ANYTHING MATTER OF FACT.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sorry just pointing out that you need to vet your sources better not personally attacking you.
  • SR1986
    Options
    Sorry just pointing out that you need to vet your sources better not personally attacking you.

Did I not say SEVERAL times that I read it?! Did I not say I wasn't sure and to Google it? I read it on a website WEEKS ago looking up healthier alternatives to pre bottled smoothies and expensive health drinks. I don't know what website it was. Hence saying to check it out on your own. I was simply stating what I read, whilst making sure to mention regularly that I had only read it somewhere.