Heart palpitations

Options
Does anyone else get heart palpitations sometimes? I get what I think are palpitations. And then it makes me anxious and my heart races.

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I mean as long as you've crossed out the possible medical conditions, it could be just stress, heavy physical activity as well.
    You should have your thyroid levels checked just in case. Well a heart check up in general is always a good idea too.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is about palpitations is that they are commonly brought on by anxiety. My first sign when i'm feeling anxious is the palpitations, then I realise i'm feeling anxious and take steps to reduce that anxiety and the palpitations go away.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Today.

If you have any associated shortness of breath, dizziness or chest pain call an ambulance and go to the hospital.

Palpitations can be nothing serious (and often linked to anxiety as others have suggested) ... or they can be a symptom of life threatening arrhythmia.
  • Wilburfixit
    Wilburfixit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a common cause. At your age it's unlikely to be anything to worry about.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Go to the doctor. Today.
    ^^ This! ^^

And if only to make sure that it is nothing serious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I ended up in the ER with some one day. Major anxiety attack. Not fun. I initially went to the walk in clinic but they sent me to the ER from there...

Definitely get it checked though, you never know.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Anxiety brings on palpitations for me. I HATE that feeling. I want to jump out a window.
    You should probably tell your doc about it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not really normal for me. Dh would experience something like that with panic attacks.

I think you should talk to your doctor asap.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I ended up in the ER with some one day. Major anxiety attack. Not fun.

Same here. See the doc.

• Ben19862000
    Ben19862000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes I do sometimes. Just focus on your breathing when that happens. Close your eyes and breathe in deep and out slowly, until they go away.

Exactly right.
  • Ben19862000
    Ben19862000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Today.

If you have any associated shortness of breath, dizziness or chest pain call an ambulance and go to the hospital.

Palpitations can be nothing serious (and often linked to anxiety as others have suggested) ... or they can be a symptom of life threatening arrhythmia.

Not the best thing to tell someone who suffers with anxiety, we tend to be hypochondriacs
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Today.

Not the best thing to tell someone who suffers with anxiety, we tend to be hypochondriacs

This made me laugh! It is soooo true!!!
  • darhoff
    darhoff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I have had this experience myself. I started having anxiety episodes, especially at night, accompanied by the thoughts and feeling that I was going to die. I stopped having them for about 25 years after being prayed for at my church. But they started to happen again about 3 years ago and I was diagnosed with Atrial fibrillation. I had ecg several times over the years, but go in and out of afib so they never caught it until I wore a monitor for two weeks. I guess what I'm saying is if you think there is something wrong make sure they investigate it thoroughly.
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Google box breathing, it helps
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Female here. I don't have anxiety, but I have had bouts of palpitations thru the years. Just get it cleared with the Doctor.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Today.

That's coming from a cardiac nurse with severe anxiety ;)

• Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Here's an odd reason, I get them when my iron is low. Once I start taking iron again they go away. It would happen when I would just be sitting down doing nothing at all. Just not enough oxygen being pumped around.

But if yours is directly related to anxiety, than it's probably related to such.

Infections can sometimes lead to heart palpitations, among many, many other causes.

Hit up a doc!!
  • kassierodriguez1
    kassierodriguez1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Today.

Thankfully I have been to several doctors and have been checked out as very healthy. Even a cardiologist
  • kassierodriguez1
    kassierodriguez1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Archer2017 wrote: »
    Here's an odd reason, I get them when my iron is low. Once I start taking iron again they go away. It would happen when I would just be sitting down doing nothing at all. Just not enough oxygen being pumped around.

But if yours is directly related to anxiety, than it's probably related to such.

Infections can sometimes lead to heart palpitations, among many, many other causes.

Hit up a doc!!

I'm definitely wondering if it is some sort of deficiency. I was recently thinking about iron. I started craving chocolate right before having some palpitations. I'm thinking I might go and have that checked. But I'm a huge procrastinator about doctors.