Maintaining weight on 1000 calories a day

Options
Harriet91Beaumont
Harriet91Beaumont Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I haven't posted here before but I just wanted to get something off my chest today :persevere:

Background: I am a 25 year old female and I have been dieting since around mid-november. I was not overweight but I think I had a binge-eating disorder, as I regularly binge ate till the point of stomach pain. It started as 1 day per week then increased over time to almost every other day, sometimes every day. My wakeup call was when I binged in the airport before a flight then suffered horrific pains mid-air due to the air pressure. I weighed around 53.5KG to begin with and I am 1.55m. So my BMI was 22.

I started dieting mid-november and the total relief of stomach issues prevented me from ever looking back! But then I suffered some horrible family problems and stresses which made me lose my appetite and ended up eating only a couple of 100 calories a day for a while. The weight dropped off initially but when I realised how unhealthy that was I pulled myself together and tried to eat 1000 calories a day. I continued losing weight, but more slowly, but when I actually counted my daily calory intake it turned out I was only eating 700 - 800 still! So now I have been strict about having around 1000 calories a day. Still keeping an eye on my fat and sugar intake, and yes I really am including absolutely everything I eat. Inititally I lost almost another KG and reached 49KG just over a week ago but weighed in today and was still 49KG! I was hoping to lose another 1 or 2KG as my "natural" weight before the binging was 47 - 48KG. The thing is, it is widely talked about that eating less than 1000 or even 1200 calories a day is unhealthy, but being so small as I am, and disabled so I barely move, even the calory calculator admits that I would need to eat 907 calories a day to lose weight! :tired_face:

I feel like I KNOW my body, and for me, 1000 calories feels more than satisfying, and I am not getting hungry. Is it really so that I have to keep my calory intake above 1000 even with my life style? Does one size really fit all?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What is your activity like? How tight is your logging?

It's not a question of "one size fits all" - 1200 is the bottom of the scale and is too little for most people, to be honest, as a maintenance intake it will only work for those who are very short and a bit older. Unless you are extremely short it seems like a very low intake at your age.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    one size doesn't fit all, BUT it is generally suggested that aiming for 1200 calories is the best way to ensure you are getting enough nutrients.

As a short person (I am about 5 cm shorter than you) my calorie needs are low, but my BMR according to this and most other sites is still 1246 calories a day. The BMR calculation is how many calories your body needs to fuel itself if you were in a coma. To calculate ACTUAL calorie needs (referred to as TDEE) I would need to use the formula 1246 x 1.2 = 1495.

1495 is the number of calories I need to exist without doing any significant exercise. If I were disabled this would STILL be the amount of calories I should be consuming. To lose weight I have two realistic options (whilst remaining healthy) - do lots of exercise to allow me to eat back some of the calories; or have a very small deficit of no more than 250 calories a day and lose weight slower.

The point of my calculations is to show you that even though you are small, you ought to be eating more. Given that you have been eating SIGNIFICANTLY lower calories for a time, it is unlikely you have been taking in adequate nutrients over that time which is why it is even MORE important you eat above the 1200 calorie suggestion.

Try and gradually increase your calories, eat some healthy fats if you don't feel hungry. And combine this with a talk to a medical professional.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For a very small disabled person, it is possible for that 1,000 calories per day is the appropriate amount. 1,200 is the bottom of the scale for women, but the charts are generally based on women who are above the 5th percentile in size and who have full mobility. I would suggest talking to your doctor.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    could you open up your diary so that people can take a look and possibly give you thoughts on what would be tweaked?

settings>diary settings>click radio button that says public
  • Harriet91Beaumont
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually suspect I have never really eaten "enough" since I feel that I probably eat more now that I am tracking than I ever did before, as I am being more strict about it, eating on time and not skipping meals. I don't have any health problems that would impact on my weight, I did recently have full blood work done at the doctors and everything is totally normal there. I don't take any medicines either. I will open my diary to public if anyone wants to see but I must admit some of the foods I have logged are in Finnish language since I live in Finland, but I will try to keep them in English today.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you aren't tracking everything..there are partial days, days without anything...

If you "never ate enough" how did the binge eating come into play (to the point of you being in pain) sounds like you were eating lots.

The thing is this...you don't need to "diet" if you are mid range BMI but if you are tracking to ensure you are eating enough and aren't bingeing (not sure how tracking helps with that) then track...how much you eat will define if you maintain your weight with your stats...

that's why you track to find out how much you can eat and either gain/lose/maintain....but you have to track accurately and all the time to figure that out.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OP are you on any medication?
    Have you talked to a professional about the binge eating?
  • Harriet91Beaumont
    edited February 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    you aren't tracking everything..there are partial days, days without anything...

If you "never ate enough" how did the binge eating come into play (to the point of you being in pain) sounds like you were eating lots.

I realised after I wrote that how contradictory it was. What I meant is before the problem with binging started, I didn't really eat more than I do now that I am tracking (if as much)

I don't track every day admittedly but to be totally honest I usually eat more or less the same every day.
    OP are you on any medication?
    Have you talked to a professional about the binge eating?

I am not on any medication and I don't want to see a doctor for a mental problem. I haven't binged since november anyway.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food on a food scale, and are sure you are currently eating 1000 calories per day? If you are eyeballing portions and not logging everything that passes your lips, it's possible you are eating more than you think.
  • Harriet91Beaumont
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Why wouldn't you seek professional help for a mental problem? That should be the first thing you do.

Well maybe I would if I had a significant problem but I can't see that I do have, as far as I can see, I nipped it in the bud.
    Are you logging your food on a food scale, and are sure you are currently eating 1000 calories per day? If you are eyeballing portions and not logging everything that passes your lips, it's possible you are eating more than you think.

Yes I am using a scale, and I even changed the battery to be sure it was working because it seemed so wrong haha!

Maybe it is just this week that I have maintained, it is my time of the month and that might have an impact I suppose. Hopefully I can shift the last kilo or so slowly but surely in the next month or two.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Oh yes TOM causes water retention for most.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Why wouldn't you seek professional help for a mental problem? That should be the first thing you do.

Well maybe I would if I had a significant problem but I can't see that I do have, as far as I can see, I nipped it in the bud.

Yes I am using a scale, and I even changed the battery to be sure it was working because it seemed so wrong haha!

Maybe it is just this week that I have maintained, it is my time of the month and that might have an impact I suppose. Hopefully I can shift the last kilo or so slowly but surely in the next month or two.

Oh, it's this, for sure! I go up about 4 pounds every month and then it comes back off afterwards. But 1000 calories is still too low.

I'm (nearly) 42 years old, 5'9", 177 pounds, and can lose steadily on 1960 calories. (I'm currently maintaining on ~2300 per day.)

Going so low-cal is not helping anything. You'll eventually crash and burn and eat everything in sight. By eating a little more, you will lose slower, but you'll have a better chance of actually reaching your goal. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It is entirely plausible that being your size and with your physical disability (you did not name what type of disability but I'm assuming one that significantly limits movement from your posts...please correct me if I am wrong!) that 1,000 is appropriate for you to lose. However, with that being said, I would still double check with your doctor or a nutritionist about that amount. If you go to a dietitian, you could broach the subject of binge eating, and how you nipped it in the bud but want to make sure you don't start on that path again. Registered Dietitians can be very helpful with that. He/she might have insight into why you started based on what you say (situational due to life circumstances, or were you lacking in a nutrient and your body was compensating in the only way it knew how...making you want to eat).

I totally understand not wanting to speak to someone about binge eating, especially as you've had a few good months now. Understand that if that was you responding to stress or pain though, that your mind may try to do the same in the future as a coping mechanism. Talking to someone as a way to learn new coping mechanisms would still be beneficial and applicable now.

But for sure, start with a Registered Dietitian and go from there.

BTW, TOM can add several pounds to your weight. Don't put all the emphasis on your weight though. How are your clothes fitting? That is also a good indicator of how you are doing.

Best of luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are verging on anorexia. Stop trying to lose weight. Eat 1200 for a while and see what happens. If you eat too little, your body will start breaking down muscle for fuel. You can lose hair and teeth. You can end your periods, which really screws up your hormones and can lead to brittle bones. You were able to stop the binge eating, but replacing it with not eating isn't progress.

@spiriteagle99 you get this person is disabled right?

quote from the OP "but being so small as I am, and disabled so I barely move"
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    OP, you are really close to your goal weigh. it will come off more slowly as the closer you get, the more stubborn the pounds are to let go. And you're already so tiny. I would just keep your diary steady, focus on what you CAN do given your limited mobility, and keep it all tight.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It sounds like you are verging on anorexia. Stop trying to lose weight. Eat 1200 for a while and see what happens. If you eat too little, your body will start breaking down muscle for fuel. You can lose hair and teeth. You can end your periods, which really screws up your hormones and can lead to brittle bones. You were able to stop the binge eating, but replacing it with not eating isn't progress.

Glad someone had the bravery to write this. Exactly what I was thinking, it sounds like OP went from one eating disorder to another...No matter what OP, you need to see your doctor about your eating habits. ETA: I realize the OP is disabled, but there are other disabled people on MFP who still eat quite a bit more than this, which is why I suggest having a doctor review her eating habits to make sure she is in fact eating enough.