Options
13»

Replies

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'm concerned about.

Genetics isn't the end all be all.

People should feed their children nutritious food so they can live up to their genetic POTENTIAL.

If your child eats food low of protein there's a chance that child won't hit their full potential height.

Yes... nutrition plays a part.

All the stories about so-and-so's height and such-and-such's height means nothing.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Agreed. That word "potential" is key. If you don't have the genes for it, you can't grow by nutrition alone. If you do have the genes, your height can still be stunted by poor nutrition.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask, in your growing years, did you eat a lot and get hungry often? What foods did you eat generally to grow tall?
    I know it has to do with genetics, but nutrition plays a part in it.
    Poor nutrition can also stunt growth.

6'7. Ate junk food, mostly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Both my sister and I are 5"8, brother is 6"1 and Dad was 6"2, and mum 5"6. I often wonder what i did wrong with my daughter, she is the shortest in my family at 5"2 (I blame her fathers side lol, none of whom are over 5"10), my son is 6" though, so who knows. My daughter is her fathers mini me, and my son resembles me. There are no shorties on my side of the family (German heritage).

Growing up was veggies every single night, loads of fruit, lean meat. No packet foods other than breakfast cereal, we used to drink loads of milk, and i still do. Take out was maybe once a month or longer. If i had to label my childhood diet, it would veer heavily toward "clean eating".
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Everyone... nutrition definitely plays a part.
    It does. But not for most Americans or other Westerners for whom receiving adequate (or a surplus) of nutrition in their growing years is simply not an issue. We're not medieval peasants subsisting on barley gruel.
    ... I'm now going to unsubscribe from this thread as the anecdotal evidence is driving me a tad bit nutty.
    If you find a way to do that, let me know. There are a number of threads I'd like to unsub from, but I have yet to locate a way to do that.

Just unclick the star, though it'll still pop up if you get quoted. Hahaha

Can't unclick the star if the star wasn't clicked to begin with. You just get notified on all threads you've ever replied to, whether you click the star or not.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    It does. But not for most Americans or other Westerners for whom receiving adequate (or a surplus) of nutrition in their growing years is simply not an issue. We're not medieval peasants subsisting on barley gruel.
    ... I'm now going to unsubscribe from this thread as the anecdotal evidence is driving me a tad bit nutty.
    If you find a way to do that, let me know. There are a number of threads I'd like to unsub from, but I have yet to locate a way to do that.

Can't unclick the star if the star wasn't clicked to begin with. You just get notified on all threads you've ever replied to, whether you click the star or not.

I turned off notifications for all threads I've responded to. Then I click the star for the ones I actually want to follow up on.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

You're free to google several of the items I've mentioned if you don't believe me.

Also, "height" isn't a single gene. There's a lot that goes into determining if a person is tall or short. We're talking femurs, tibias, spine... other stuff. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the Internet.

There's "genetic potential" and then, yes, environment comes into play.

Who your parents are, what age they are when they conceived, the frequency of children (mom's nutrient stores), the month they conceived, if it was natural or in-vitro, if mom was short (smaller women tend to have a higher likelihood of premature birth), what mom ate while pregnant, if baby was breastfed, and yes... what the child ate while growing. All of that goes into height.

Genes are often influenced by your environment.

Nutrition 100% plays a part in helping to set a child's height.

Please link to the studies that prove that breastfed babies end up taller than formula fed babies.
    You can't, because its not true. In fact recent studies have shown the benefits of breast feeding have been greatly exaggerated.

Oh yeah... Big Breastfeeding has a lot of lobbying power. Greatly inflating the studies. You should for sure trust the formula is equal studies more.

Even if you're not sold on breastfeeding, there's tons of research about skin to skin touch. (Which breastfeeding facilitates.)

Who said I'm not 'sold on breast feeding'? I just asked you to back up your ludicrous assertion that breast fed babies are taller than formula fed babies. And unsurprisingly you can't. Please think before you type.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

You're free to google several of the items I've mentioned if you don't believe me.

Also, "height" isn't a single gene. There's a lot that goes into determining if a person is tall or short. We're talking femurs, tibias, spine... other stuff. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the Internet.

Who your parents are, what age they are when they conceived, the frequency of children (mom's nutrient stores), the month they conceived, if it was natural or in-vitro, if mom was short (smaller women tend to have a higher likelihood of premature birth), what mom ate while pregnant, if baby was breastfed, and yes... what the child ate while growing. All of that goes into height.

Please link to the studies that prove that breastfed babies end up taller than formula fed babies.
    You can't, because its not true. In fact recent studies have shown the benefits of breast feeding have been greatly exaggerated.

Oh yeah... Big Breastfeeding has a lot of lobbying power. Greatly inflating the studies. You should for sure trust the formula is equal studies more.

Even if you're not sold on breastfeeding, there's tons of research about skin to skin touch. (Which breastfeeding facilitates.)

Who said I'm not 'sold on breast feeding'? I just asked you to back up your ludicrous assertion that breast fed babies are taller than formula fed babies. And unsurprisingly you can't. Please think before you type.

Btw... I did qualify that statement with "if". Peace and love.

Here are studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8005095/?i=6&from=/19036567/related

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16830613/?i=3&from=/19036567/related

Somewhere in there they talk about breastfeeding and height.

Feel free to read.

Plenty of info in reference articles as well. If not satisfactory, then... eh. Oh well.

Edited to add content
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@ccsernica I've switched off ALL notifications, and click on the star if i want to follow a thread. I once made the mistake of replying to one of those 50,000,000 page chitchat threads that just would not die! So i cancelled notifications and never bothered switching them back on. If i'm no longer interested in a thread, i click the star to stop notifications of that particular thread.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Btw... I did qualify that statement with "if". Peace and love.

Here are studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8005095/?i=6&from=/19036567/related

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16830613/?i=3&from=/19036567/related

Somewhere in there they talk about breastfeeding and height.

Feel free to read.

Plenty of info in reference articles as well. If not satisfactory, then... eh. Oh well.

Edited to add content

Those studies concern Kids in Kenya, Egypt and the CR (where breast feeding is the safest option due to water supplies ). I'm not anti-breastfeeding. What I am against is people who make ludicrous claims to back up their personal views.
    As I said, the most recent study found no difference in outcomes between siblings (because that takes care of other influencing factors) http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/sibbreast.htm
    Oh and I have 5 kids. The 3 formula fed ones are much taller than the breast fed ones.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    My husband is 6'1". His ex-wife is 4'11". I'm 5'10". I've raised my stepson since he was a toddler. He is now 20 and is 5'5". My bio-kids are on track to be 5'10-6'2". Same foods. Same environment. Different genetics.

I know a woman who has 3 kids by 3 different men. All three fathers are average height or taller; the mother is at most 5'1". The two older kids were both diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency. Number 3, the "bonus" baby, was born healthy, at 40 weeks...weighing barely 5 lbs. She's about to turn 2, and she's still tiny. Doesn't matter how well they're feeding her, genetics has the upper hand here.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, the shortest adult I know was adopted as an infant out of Beirut around 1986. She had a milk allergy, but the orphanage had only milk-based formula to feed her, so she was extremely malnourished from the time she was born until her adoptive parents brought her home. She has significant physical and developmental delays, and even now that she is in her thirties she still looks like a small child.

That's an extreme case of course, and not the sort of thing anyone in the United States is likely to experience, but it can happen.