Turmeric...Is it as beneficial as people say?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    SR1986 wrote: »
    Sorry just pointing out that you need to vet your sources better not personally attacking you.

Did I not say SEVERAL times that I read it?! Did I not say I wasn't sure and to Google it? I read it on a website WEEKS ago looking up healthier alternatives to pre bottled smoothies and expensive health drinks. I don't know what website it was. Hence saying to check it out on your own. I was simply stating what I read, whilst making sure to mention regularly that I had only read it somewhere.

I was referring to the link you posted above, the turmeric for health site.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It's ok. Try not to read intent, I think folks are genuinely trying to help you.

I've learned so much here even from "snarky" posts. Some of these folks have been here a long time and answer the same questions sometimes multiple times a day.

Many are very knowledgeable and well educated and know their stuff.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    In my experience and reading, turmeric is an excellent anti-inflammatory. The curcumin it contains is activated chemically and made more available for your body to absorb if it is combined with black pepper and a fat of some kind. I enjoy making golden milk for this reason-- made with fresh turmeric, fresh ginger, black pepper, coconut oil and a sweetener and milk of some type. It is quite yummy, and as someone who often experiences joint and back pain from my job, I've found it to be more effective than ibuprofen for those issues. I've also heard that it boosts immune function; it has been used for thousands of years in Indian herbal medicine as a digestive helper, too.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Turmeric is supposedly great for you. I've read it's a great inflammatory. As well as its benefits to helping facilitate weight loss. I'm big into natural supplements. Not "diet pills" pushed by big companies. We all know that there's no magic pill. It's a lifestyle change and working with portion control, eating the right foods, along with supplements help that make our bodies change. I did read something about turmeric that I want to share with you guys without a supplement called biopryn added to or taken alongside the turmeric our bodies just don't digest and use the turmeric to its full potential. The biopryn increases turmeric absorption by 2000%!!! I don't remember where I saw it, but Google will surely bring it up if you're interested in learning more. I'm looking into finding some turmeric with it already added. PS I also read that brushing your teeth with it can whiten them. Not sure if that's true though.

The anti-inflammatory properties have been discussed.

I'm curious what benefits you think turmeric has for facilitating weight loss?

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-and-weight-loss

I can't trust a website called "tumericforhealth" to not try and feed me only the benefits of it. But if you want to pull out your bullcrap bingo card, that place is a gold mine. I do believe that it is helpful as an anti-inflammatory, but weight loss? No.

And while I appreciate them posting a study on Mitigation of Systemic Oxidative Stress by Curcuminoids in Osteoarthritis (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25688638), you can't take an article where it says "These antioxidant effects may account for the reported therapeutic effects of curcuminoids in relieving osteoarthritis symptoms." and turn around and say "Researchers concluded that short term supplementation of curcuminoids alleviate oxidative stress in osteoarthritis."
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    OK WOW! I WASN'T AWARE WE WERE HERE TO ATTACK EACHOTHER! MY BAD. I SAID SUPPOSEDLY. I ALSO SAID I READ IT SOMEWHERE. I ALSO SAID I READ ABOUT THE TEETH WHITENING THING. I WAS NOT ENDORSING A BRAND OR TURMERIC. I WAS JUST SAYING WHAT I HAD READ. THE OTHER THING I WROTE WAS BASICALLY A TL DR OF WHAT THAT WEBSITE SAID. THAT IT WORKS TO DETOXIFY THE LIVER. I READ ABOUT PUTTING TURMERIC IN SOMETHING CALLED GOLDEN MILK. NOT FROM A WEBSITE HOCKING PILLS. THE PLAIN OLD TURMERIC IN THE SPICE AISLE. I NEVER CLAIMED TO KNOW ANYTHING FOR SURE. SO WHY ALL OF YOU ARE BEING RUDE ABOUT WHAT I SAID IS BEYOND ME. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. IF I HAD LOW SELF ESTEEM YOU'D HAVE CHASED ME OFF AND POSSIBLY HALTED OR SCREWED UP WHAT THIS APP IS FOR, TO HELP US BETTER OURSELVES NOT TO BELITTLE AND CALL PEOPLE OUT FOR NO REASON. I REITERATE I NEVER CLAIMED ANYTHING MATTER OF FACT.

Rude.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there for those interested in chemistry:
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b00975

Basically, many trials have shown false positives and can't be relied on. We may need to wait for a bit for more reliable trials to be conducted before being able to make informed decisions about turmeric.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JaiDessaT wrote: »
    It was a joke on my part. It does nothing. Just like apple cider vinegar.

Great on food for a seasoning.
    That's about it.

It's anti-inflammatory.

I didn't know this before reading this thread, I'm currently trying ginger for the same reasons (mild osteo-arthritis), if it doesn't help I might look into giving it a try. Thank you.

Plus I have now ordered all the ingreds for the Nigella soup. Will cook it tomorrow, sounds delicious. Thank u to GottaBurnEmAll for the recipe x

• kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Turmeric isn't magic for weight loss or metabolism, but IS great for your gut flora and as an overall natural anti-inflammatory. You can make a tincture with turmeric, coconut water, black pepper, ginger, and any other spices you like and take a shot of that every day. Just be sure that when you're eating/drinking it, you include black pepper. Black pepper increases the bioavailability of curcurmin, the anti-inflammatory compound in turmeric. Also, if you take a shot of it, be sure to wipe your teeth off with a clean napkin or else they will stain yellow!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kzooyogi wrote: »
    Turmeric isn't magic for weight loss or metabolism, but IS great for your gut flora and as an overall natural anti-inflammatory. You can make a tincture with turmeric, coconut water, black pepper, ginger, and any other spices you like and take a shot of that every day. Just be sure that when you're eating/drinking it, you include black pepper. Black pepper increases the bioavailability of curcurmin, the anti-inflammatory compound in turmeric. Also, if you take a shot of it, be sure to wipe your teeth off with a clean napkin or else they will stain yellow!

And what is your source for all of this?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    elka67 wrote: »

That's about it.

It's anti-inflammatory.

I didn't know this before reading this thread, I'm currently trying ginger for the same reasons (mild osteo-arthritis), if it doesn't help I might look into giving it a try. Thank you.

Plus I have now ordered all the ingreds for the Nigella soup. Will cook it tomorrow, sounds delicious. Thank u to GottaBurnEmAll for the recipe x

Ginger and turmeric are in the same family of plants and both contain curcumin (the active ingredient). Ginger just has less of it
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    elka67 wrote: »

That's about it.

It's anti-inflammatory.

Ginger and turmeric are in the same family of plants and both contain curcumin (the active ingredient). Ginger just has less of it

Very interesting, thank u.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Turmeric is supposedly great for you. I've read it's a great inflammatory. As well as its benefits to helping facilitate weight loss. I'm big into natural supplements. Not "diet pills" pushed by big companies. We all know that there's no magic pill. It's a lifestyle change and working with portion control, eating the right foods, along with supplements help that make our bodies change. I did read something about turmeric that I want to share with you guys without a supplement called biopryn added to or taken alongside the turmeric our bodies just don't digest and use the turmeric to its full potential. The biopryn increases turmeric absorption by 2000%!!! I don't remember where I saw it, but Google will surely bring it up if you're interested in learning more. I'm looking into finding some turmeric with it already added. PS I also read that brushing your teeth with it can whiten them. Not sure if that's true though.

The anti-inflammatory properties have been discussed.

I'm curious what benefits you think turmeric has for facilitating weight loss?

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-and-weight-loss

I can't trust a website called "tumericforhealth" to not try and feed me only the benefits of it. But if you want to pull out your bullcrap bingo card, that place is a gold mine. I do believe that it is helpful as an anti-inflammatory, but weight loss? No.

And while I appreciate them posting a study on Mitigation of Systemic Oxidative Stress by Curcuminoids in Osteoarthritis (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25688638), you can't take an article where it says "These antioxidant effects may account for the reported therapeutic effects of curcuminoids in relieving osteoarthritis symptoms." and turn around and say "Researchers concluded that short term supplementation of curcuminoids alleviate oxidative stress in osteoarthritis."

I posted that and a summary article. I got a "but I feel better several days after starting to take it."

I also often feel better several days after a pain flare, it's a cycle even without tumeric.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Basically it helps detoxify the liver (the organ most responsible for fat burning)

Hum...never heard this. A better supplement to detox the liver would be Glutathione or maybe some MSM? I would not take turmeric expecting it to detox the liver.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Basically it helps detoxify the liver (the organ most responsible for fat burning)

Hum...never heard this. A better supplement to detox the liver would be Glutathione or maybe some MSM? I would not take turmeric expecting it to detox the liver.

What toxins do glutathione or MSM remove from your liver?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    There is no way to measure whether or not it "works" or what "results" can come from it. While there may be some health benefits from including it in your diet, it is not something that directly aids in weight loss.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sorry just pointing out that you need to vet your sources better not personally attacking you.

Did I not say SEVERAL times that I read it?! Did I not say I wasn't sure and to Google it? I read it on a website WEEKS ago looking up healthier alternatives to pre bottled smoothies and expensive health drinks. I don't know what website it was. Hence saying to check it out on your own. I was simply stating what I read, whilst making sure to mention regularly that I had only read it somewhere.

Yeah I've had this happen to me many times on here. Don't even bother answering the people with snarky remarks or asking you to post a link for "proof." Especially on something like turmeric where I think at this point we can share our personal experiences with it but there's not much "science." Which even the science stuff changes all the time and anyone can find a link to back up whatever their claim is. I have used turmeric for years and feel that it does have benefits (I read your other post about teeth whitening and actually did brush with it for a while...it worked OK but it was kind of messy and stained my sink so I stopped...some of the Ayurvedic uses like that are from before modern things like toothpaste).