Water/coffee/green tea?! Isn't it all liquid?

Options
I'm making a strong effort to up my water intake. I hate water but I'm chugging away. I'm attempting to reach a minimum of 130oz.

I've been told by a few friends not to count my coffee which is only one 8oz cup or my green tea 2x8oz cups.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Replies

• hydrosmak
    hydrosmak Posts: 16
    Options
    Doing a search of this message board you would find that this is second only to "eating back my calories burned?" as the most asked question.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinion on this. I personally only count water as water. I have a rare cup of tea, and don't count that. I def. do not count juice or diet pop.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine to count your coffee and tea. The only things I don't think that count are anything with sodium like soda, some flavored waters and some drink mixes. Remember too that if you're eating lots of fruits and veggies, your getting fluids that way too.
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I count anything that is caffeine, calorie, and carbonation free as water. So, I will count splenda sweetened decaf tea as water.

But like has been mentioned...everyone has their own opinion and it's a question that is often asked.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    Britain’s leading nutritionist, Jane Clarke says you can now count tea and coffee as part of your intake (The Mayo Clinic agrees). Previously it was thought they acted like diuretics, encouraging the body to get rid of fluid. We now know this isn’t true, and you can drink tea and coffee as part of your 8 cups. And there is nothing like a cup of tea to give you a lift.

Her only note of caution is that large amounts of caffeine can reduce the amount of calcium we absorb from our food; the tannins in tea have a similarly negative effect on iron absorption.
  • twistedsista0408
    Options
    I used to count coffee and tea as water, but it wasn't until I started drinking at least 8 glasses of pure water that my ankles stopped retaining water. Nothing like walking around with "kankles" as Shallow Hal's friend calls them. My joints don't hurt as much, I think it's because I started drinking more water and less caffeine. I don't drink soda's or a lot of juice but I can drink two pots of coffee a day if I'm stuck inside all day.

Therefore, I don't count anything but water as my water intake. I try to drink 9-10 glasses per day and I can really tell a difference in how I feel.