discouraged

Options
how do you keep from getting discouraged when you didn't lose one doggone pound. Here were my calorie stats: I know I blew it Saturday but was good all week before and after?? I actually even exercised several times this week and gained some calories.

Thursday - under 450
Friday - under 141
Sat - over 353
Sun - under 306
Monday - under 131
Tuesday - under 131
Wednesday - under 186

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Do not expect your weightloss to be linear - your body does not have a calendar. Some week's you will lose, some weeks you will stay the same and some weeks you will even gain. You just need to keep on doing what you are doing and have patience....
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hang in there I find as long as you are consistent it will eventually work it self out! I see you have been under most of the week, maybe you are not eating enough cals in a day? I know for myself I drink a lot of my cals are you including what you drink as well? Could be some hidden cals in those :) Keep up the good work it will pay off in the end
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's only one week....
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this? Have you been exercising? Do you weigh and measure your food?
    See chart above.
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Do not expect your weightloss to be linear - your body does not have a calendar. Some week's you will lose, some weeks you will stay the same and some weeks you will even gain. You just need to keep on doing what you are doing and have patience....

^^this ... don't give up, you can do it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What do those numbers mean? Size of your calorie deficit or calories earned from exercise those days?
    Has it only been a week since you started?

If you do not lose the general advice is to 1) be patient and keep doing what you are doing unless you do not lose anything at all for about 4 weeks or 2) increase the accuracy of your logging or 3) adjust your calorie goal

Your diary isn't open so it is hard to say if you might have logging issues. You don't provide your age, height, weight or calorie goal so can't really comment on that.
    It is normal not to lose every single week. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
    It is normal to sometimes retain water due to new/increased exercise, sodium, period or ovulation, etc.

You may need to tweek something or you may need to just persist with what you are doing.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to take your measurements, keep track of that as well. We have all gained weight gradually and not over a few weeks. Keep that in mind, that it takes a while to lose the weight as well. This is journey, not a race. On this journey there are many bumps, sharp turns, road blocks etc... along the way. It's not unusual to fall off the wagon, just don't let that wagon leave you behind. You know what you need to do, you've got this! ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    How do you keep from getting discouraged? Make sure your numbers are accurate, first of all. (See chart above.)

Keepa go.

It will happen if you keep doing the right thing over a period of time. Do you want to lose weight? Then buckle in for the long haul. Do what it takes. One day at a time.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's a good time to review your logging practices. There are so many ways in which it can be inaccurate. If you review your logs and are doing everything right, then hold on and give it some more time. Weight fluctuates regularly. Here's my report from last year (to give you an example):

xjoucmqls9v0.png
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have lost 173 in just less than 1 year and 2 months. I have 92 left to lose which is still a lot. I find that a lot of weight loss is mental. I have to keep my head in the right space. When I'm not losing when I think I should be, I keep telling myself over and over in my mind that I am doing great. I am doing the right thing and the weight will come off in time. That helps to keep me centered and to keep me from getting to the "what the heck" stage and going on a binge or eating something I know I shouldn't be having. I have to remind myself that junk food will not make me happy and in fact it will make me feel much worse.

We all have those days when we do something bad in our nutrition and that's okay. Just don't let it discourage you and bounce back and continue with your program.

I wish you all the best on your journey. You can do this and you have to keep telling yourself that because you are stronger than you think.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Holy moly how do you not get discouraged right? It's difficult, especially if you weigh every day, when you don't see some solid progress. But the thing to remember is that weight loss isn't linear, there is going to be up down fluctuation, and that it takes time.

You'll know some days it's going to be worse because you got garbage for sleep, or maybe you started taking a new medicine, or you started doing more vigorous exercise. There are other days when you're going to shake your fist at the sky and yell out "WHYYYYY". And then you have to remind yourself you're trying to do better and it's going to take time.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    how do you keep from getting discouraged when you didn't lose one doggone pound. Here were my calorie stats: I know I blew it Saturday but was good all week before and after?? I actually even exercised several times this week and gained some calories.

Thursday - under 450
    Friday - under 141
    Sat - over 353
    Sun - under 306
    Monday - under 131
    Tuesday - under 131
    Wednesday - under 186

... what are these numbers?
    How much you ate?
    How much you burned?
    Certainly not how much you weigh. I'm confused.

ETA:
    OH are they how much over or under your goal?
    If so, how do you know your goal is set correctly? Are you tracking properly?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just stay focused on the process. It doesn't matter what the scale says this week, as long as I know I am doing the things I need to do to be healthy. All of my goals are nutrition and fitness goals, rather than weight goals. Did I eat the right things? Did I become stronger or faster?

Log, move, drink water, eat veggies....Log, move, drink water, eat veggies...
  • priestp1
    priestp1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Key is a good diet / exercise or activity. Good Diet will mean your engine is running at its max and you are getting the best bang for your effort.

Make sure you are eating the right amount of protein's / carbs and within your sugar / salt guidelines. I have friends who only focus on the calories.

If you do some exercise / activity this will increase your calorie deficit goals (This means your under 480 calories will be much higher in actuality).

This leads to a greater deficit / faster results.