No change in weight questions.

Options
So, I'm still fairly new to MFP. I've been using the food tracker and drinking plenty of water. I've even started working out on an elliptical again (which, I haven't done that for over 2 years)

As far as I can food track, I've been staying around and slightly under my calorie intake for each day.

With my weight, I've manage to get down to 190, but then I'll flex back up to 191.

Do you all think it's due to the amount of water I'm drinking (and possibly retaining?), or could it be due to the workouts that are making muscle again?

I'm going to slim down, get healthy, and lose this weight, but right now I just can't seem to break into the 80's.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Lemme see yo diary. That'll help us help you:)

And it's not muscle gain. Takes women a loooooooooong time to gain any siginificant weight from muscle gain.
  • beth651
    beth651 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This same thing has been happening to me and I"ve been told that I am not eating enough so I'm trying to eat a little more.
  • corduroyveins
    corduroyveins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a similar dilemma....I've been eating super healthy (under my calorie max every day), working out a lot (over my exercise min every day) for over three weeks now and the scale tells me I've actually gained a pound. How in the world is this possible?!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So, I'm still fairly new to MFP. I've been using the food tracker and drinking plenty of water. I've even started working out on an elliptical again (which, I haven't done that for over 2 years)

As far as I can food track, I've been staying around and slightly under my calorie intake for each day.

With my weight, I've manage to get down to 190, but then I'll flex back up to 191.

Do you all think it's due to the amount of water I'm drinking (and possibly retaining?), or could it be due to the workouts that are making muscle again?

I'm going to slim down, get healthy, and lose this weight, but right now I just can't seem to break into the 80's.

Any thoughts?

You will not gain muscle doing the elliptical but what it could be is water retention in your muscles due to starting to exercise again. Just keep doing it and drink plenty of water and your body will shed the water weight in time.
  • AndyParkes
    AndyParkes Posts: 35
    Options

You need to track everything - if you're not sure about something find something that's close enough

if you're saying you're around or slightly under your calorie goal for each day the bits you aren't tracking could actually be taking you over :-)
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I have lost inches where I want them to leave so for now its something. Hang in there it will slip off and then all the work you have done will shine!:happy:
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a similar dilemma....I've been eating super healthy (under my calorie max every day), working out a lot (over my exercise min every day) for over three weeks now and the scale tells me I've actually gained a pound. How in the world is this possible?!

You need to eat, Lady friend. Eat eat eat. And drink your water! More protein v carbs as well.
  • holliehhobbie
    holliehhobbie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have 2 weeks every month that I gain a pound or two and drop it then go back up. Then I loose all of it and a couple of pounds more. Mother nature is just not nice to women. I've been using MFP and iPeriod since Feb and I noticed my body's pattern. Just hang in there. The other thing to rememebr is that it's more than calories. You may be on target for your calories but the fat, sugar, or carbs can be over. My body does better with less carbs and sugars.
    I've lost 31lbs so far, so sticking with it does work.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My weight fluxuates about 3 lbs from day to day! I probably should weigh myself every day, but I do. It all averages out, and my weight goes down over time. Sometimes it'll hang around the same few pounds for weeks, but it eventually starts going down again. I try to just stay the course and try not to obsess about it.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting the amount of sodium that you consume, but it's hard to say without being able to see your diary.

If you're drinking plenty of water, 10-14 cups a day, you shouldn't be retaining any water. The more water you consume, the more water your body gets rid of.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Make sure your eating at least the alloted calories. You need them especially if your working out more.
    I'm no doctor, but I've heard that if you drastically reduce your calories your body reacts in such a way that it reserves calories and fat..starvation mode or something to that affect.
  • ceeshelman
    ceeshelman Posts: 77
    Options
    Put that scale away. Eat just as you are and exercise just as you are. You will be under 190 in two weeks.
  • gunny34
    gunny34 Posts: 68
    Options
    Hey Bisco... I am having the SAME problem. I have been in the 190 range and fluctuating anywhere from 1-3 lbs for over a month.. It's so frustrating... I stopped and took a break because I guess I was giving up a lil... but I started back up again and I have shed about 2 1/2 lbs this week. I just hope it keeps coming off. I don't drink much water though.. so I can't say that its water weight for myself... I'm not sure what it was that kept me at the stand still. What kind of workouts do you do?
  • TiffieLovex3
    TiffieLovex3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe try zig zagging with your calories. It worked for me.
  • bisco1915
    bisco1915 Posts: 8
    Options
    I work out on the elliptical for 30 minutes. Some stretching (similar to yoga)
  • hdm426
    hdm426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok its what u r eating and how ftequently u r eating as well...u may be under ur calorie intake but sometimes ur body may think u r still in starvaion mode. Try eating the same amount in calories but break it down to 6-8 meals a day...when u do this it makes ur body think oh wow I am constantly having energy put in now I can shed some of the stored fat, because I am not starving...also drinking a lot of water will usually not make u retain water...what makes u retain water is salt. So watch ur salt intake. I drink nothing but water like a gallon a day. On ur workouts sometimes u will have to really change it up...if u like doing cardiovascular workouts then stick with it but do one week of alt elliptical and aerobics, then the next week try a little higher intensity set u an incline on ur elliptical and go at a steady pace then drop the incline and go as fast as u can with a little resistance,u want to do interval training when doing cardio, to where u r not only burning fat but "toning" muscle at the same time...yes when u gain muscle it does weigh more than fat but toting the muscle usually doesn't make u gain weight...try that and see how it works...:happy:
  • bisco1915
    bisco1915 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you Everyone for the advice.

I'll let you know when I hit those 80's.
  • bisco1915
    Options
    After really kicking it into gear, I hit 5lbs and I'm in the 80's. Next stop, 70's!!