how do you balance weightlifting and running?

Options
2»

Replies

• workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I prioritize by season. Running takes a front seat March-October. I run 3-4 days and lift lighter weights 2-3 times a week. October-March strength is priority 3-4 days with heavier weights and just a couple days of running.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, training for marathons more or less the whole year around, with a very short break over winter, where I run only three to four times per week. Strength training and cross exercising are supplemental for me, so running comes first. My mileage per week is around 60 miles.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I prioritize by season. Running takes a front seat March-October. I run 3-4 days and lift lighter weights 2-3 times a week. October-March strength is priority 3-4 days with heavier weights and just a couple days of running.

I'm kinda like this.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This is second good choice for me.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Those who run and do strength training as well, how do you manage so none would suffer in performance? I have been trying to balance my running and lifting schedule but after lifting my legs are so sore it really affects my speed. My plan is 4 days running -3 days lifting. But I have not been successful to follow it completely so far, either I have to miss/postpone running or weightlifting. So far I am able to lift only once a week which is very dissatisfactory to me. Need some advice of experienced people here.

What are your goals?

Do you run with some strength training, or strength train with some running for cardio?

Before my focus was strength training but currently my aim is to improve my mileage and speed in running.
    Thank you everyone for your insightful responses. I think I would try 1 long run day-3 short run day and lifting twice a week in between short run days. Hope to find the balance.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea I've never thought of. How long have you been doing that?
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had to choose one. The iron won.

This, and me too.

In my experience though, I still ate like a runner...put on about 15lbs over a few months and got my "shape" (I think he meant booty) back. Now I'm trying to keep my "shape" and lose the weight, which is a MUCH slower process than just running it off.

• ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. It took me awhile to figure out what works for me. My hard running days (3-6 miles at 7:30 min/mile pace) are before I lift. I lift on M,W,F. I started 5X5 Powerlift 2 months ago and I like it cause it's not long (45 min) and I've seen good results. On T,Th,Sat,Sun I mix in yoga, slow runs (9-10 min/mile), and sometimes boot camp classes depending on how I feel. I also cycle my calories and macros for the lifting and non lifting days.
  • heather233
    heather233 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lift 6 days a week but on leg days i dont run. I do 30 minutes cardio before i lift otherwise i dont have the energy after.
  • Malwane
    Malwane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    2 days HIIT on the treadmill , 3 days whightlefting , 1 day soccer, 1 day rest
  • adammeynell86
    adammeynell86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Right, a couple of things to consider and ways to approach this, treat your running as though it was a strength training exercise in the sense of volume, intensity and frequency, you wouldn't through hill sprints which are a high intensity exercise next to a high volume hypertrophy workout since your legs would be crucified, however a lower volume workout, higher weight lower reps and maybe even lower sets if needed would allow you to see muscular adaptation to strength training whilst sparing some glycogen supply for a run, as long as this run wasn't at a sufficiently high tempo to tax the nervous system. You would see both strength and aerobic adaptation in this case. (The rule of progressive overload being King!) The other big thing is nutrition, I would certainly suggest doing two workouts a day, with more rest days than working seven a week, on days when your training twice, remember to refuel properly and meet your requirements, your post workout nutrition is already the prep for your second workout of the day. Finally you could always look at using your strength training as a metabolic workout, circuiting exercises wth minimal rest breaks, this would give some strength benefit (not as much as programmed timed sets and reps) but also be an effective cross training workout for your running, i can get my heart rate up in the same territory as my "fast run" with a pair kettle bells. Hope one or more of these approaches helps.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's all about only doing what's essential and maximizing recovery.

Google "Hybrid training" by Alex Viada. Granted the gains will be a little slower, but you can improve both simultaneously.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The best advice I received was to do as much cardio as you needed for your specific goals. So if you're going to run a marathon, train for a marathon. If you play a sport, train for that sport. Other than that, find a progressive lifting program at you like and get in the gym.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I do both lifting and running, and have for about a year now.
    I would say at this point, though, my primary focus is lifting, at least for the moment.

I do 4 days of lifting and 3 days of running. I do one of the compound lifts each day of lifting (bench, squat, deadlift, OHP) plus accessories. I run 3 days a week. I combine my bench day with a 2 mile run. I then do a 4 mile run and a long run on the weekend of 5-8 miles.

At the level I am now I feel like I have a pretty good base of cardiovascular fitness so I just want to maintain my running, but I do want to get stronger and gain muscle/lose fat (recomp). I would never say, though, that the running doesn't affect lifting or lifting doesn't affect running. Probably if I had focused on one or the other I could have made quicker progress, but I am interested in general health and not so much competition, so it doesn't matter to me.