just keep runnin' just keen runnin'

Options
I usually run for about 20-30mins 5 days a week. I have pretty bad asthma so that is more than enough for me and by the end of it I am usually dead.

How can I help this? I have a asthma pump and rarely have to use it but today I literally had to stop because I was so out of breath and had a bad stomach cramp why is this anyone know? and how do I push through it because I literally couldn't move....

I'm only 21 and this is awful surely I should be fitter than this???

Replies

• Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Listen to your body! Its ok to push yourself but when a medical condition causes your body to respond negatively, then back off.
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Maybe slow your pace a bit.
    Having asthma doesn't mean your unfit =/
    I can go jogging for like an hour and I have asthma too, in fact I actually find it a little harsh that you think having asthma makes you unfit.

Have you tried using the brown preventer inhalers BEFORE you go out? I found it helps alot.
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this? When I was younger I had asthma and had to take an inhaler before I worked out bc I had what was called Excersise Induced Asthma - I was told not to work out in very hot and humid weather conditions. Over time, my asthma went away and when I was about your age I really started working out every day at the gym ( I cant run much bc I have a bad foot) but I am now 32 and in much better shape now then where I was at 21. Its ok if you aren't in the best shape ever at 21 - as long as you are working out you are doing a huge benefit to body (and you are working out at a young age which is great too!).

I would ask your doctor - you may be doing too much. Have you tried an elliptical or a bike? That may help you out somewhat.
    Also, Ive been told by doctors for years that running is bad for you anyway, so it may be somewhat beneficial for you to maybe do something like 2 days a week one week and 3 another, and try swimming or the rowing machine or the bike or something in between. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a respiratory therapist and I work with children with asthma quite often. Here's a couple of suggestions... #1 are you using an aerochamber with your inhaler...if not, it really helps get ALL the medication down in your lungs and you should try to wait 15-20 seconds between each puff you do. You may already do this but so many people don't get good education on how to use the aerochamber and inhaler. As an adult, you should probably be doing between 4-6 puffs when you need to use it. #2 Try using your inhaler prior to running and see if it doesn't help a litte more rather than waiting to use it in the middle or end of your run. #3. Are you using a inhaled steriod for a controller type medication? I'm not sure how severe your asthma is or if you have symptoms other times than running, but ask your doctor about adding an inhaled steriod such as Advair...it is a medication that works on inflammation in your lungs on a daily basis and controls symptoms.
    Hope this helps...I can email you more information if you'd like...
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maybe slow your pace a bit.
    Having asthma doesn't mean your unfit =/
    I can go jogging for like an hour and I have asthma too, in fact I actually find it a little harsh that you think having asthma makes you unfit.

Have you tried using the brown preventer inhalers BEFORE you go out? I found it helps alot.

Yes I have tried everything... went to my doctor to and he said there isn't really much I can do I just have to deal with it... doctor is a douche!
    It is just annoying for myself that I can't be as good as I want to be... not calling all asthmatics unfit at all i just am sooo unfit :(
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My husband has severe asthma like that and I dont know if its hot in your area like it is here but that can make it alot worse even if you are in the air conditioning running but it doesnt mean your not fit it is just the condition of the asthma so dont feel like it is something about you maybe try fast paced walking on days like this instead with longer time
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this? When I was younger I had asthma and had to take an inhaler before I worked out bc I had what was called Excersise Induced Asthma - I was told not to work out in very hot and humid weather conditions. Over time, my asthma went away and when I was about your age I really started working out every day at the gym ( I cant run much bc I have a bad foot) but I am now 32 and in much better shape now then where I was at 21. Its ok if you aren't in the best shape ever at 21 - as long as you are working out you are doing a huge benefit to body (and you are working out at a young age which is great too!).

I would ask your doctor - you may be doing too much. Have you tried an elliptical or a bike? That may help you out somewhat.
    Also, Ive been told by doctors for years that running is bad for you anyway, so it may be somewhat beneficial for you to maybe do something like 2 days a week one week and 3 another, and try swimming or the rowing machine or the bike or something in between. Hope this helps! Good luck!

As i wrote before i went to my doctor... he wasn't very helpful. thanks for the info. i really enjoy running so want to keep it up and get stronger at it but today was just terrible i could hardly move :(
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If by "stomach cramp" you mean a stitch in your side that can usually be remedied by shallow breathing (when you breath in deep your diaphragm lowers significantly, which can cause muscle spasm) and not running on a full stomach.

In terms of your asthma, maybe ask your doc. i have quite a few friends who are asthmatic and they can kick my *kitten* in running distance. also, maybe the humidity in the air is effecting you. try running indoors?
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    My husband has severe asthma like that and I dont know if its hot in your area like it is here but that can make it alot worse even if you are in the air conditioning running but it doesnt mean your not fit it is just the condition of the asthma so dont feel like it is something about you maybe try fast paced walking on days like this instead with longer time

sometimes i alternate between fast paced walking and running... i just run outside around my area and it's not particularly hot here in the uk at the moment. i just wanna be the best i can be :)
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a respiratory therapist and I work with children with asthma quite often. Here's a couple of suggestions... #1 are you using an aerochamber with your inhaler...if not, it really helps get ALL the medication down in your lungs and you should try to wait 15-20 seconds between each puff you do. You may already do this but so many people don't get good education on how to use the aerochamber and inhaler. As an adult, you should probably be doing between 4-6 puffs when you need to use it. #2 Try using your inhaler prior to running and see if it doesn't help a litte more rather than waiting to use it in the middle or end of your run. #3. Are you using a inhaled steriod for a controller type medication? I'm not sure how severe your asthma is or if you have symptoms other times than running, but ask your doctor about adding an inhaled steriod such as Advair...it is a medication that works on inflammation in your lungs on a daily basis and controls symptoms.

If I were you I'd definitely take this posters advice and contact her. :)
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    If by "stomach cramp" you mean a stitch in your side that can usually be remedied by shallow breathing (when you breath in deep your diaphragm lowers significantly, which can cause muscle spasm) and not running on a full stomach.

In terms of your asthma, maybe ask your doc. i have quite a few friends who are asthmatic and they can kick my *kitten* in running distance.

Yeah it was a stitch!
    I don't usually get out of breath at all but today was so strange I just couldn't move so wanted to know how I could push through it :)
  • nooge
    nooge Posts: 5
    Options
    There are so many possibilities of what happened to you. The first thing I'd recommend is that you consult a doctor to get his/her recommendations on your new fitness plan else you could be doing yourself more harm than good.

What type of drug does your inhaler use? I was given on my inhaler as a child and deliberately avoided using it because I thought I'd become dependant on it. That was a big mistake. Starving the body of oxygen leads to lactic acid build up in the muscles which can cause cramps and increased muscle soreness. It also means that your muscles never get a proper workout so fitness never improves (or does so very slowly). I ended up using my inhaler when I needed it only and did lots of swimming to build up my lungs. It worked. I've not needed an inhaler since I was 15.

Other factors may include when and what you ate beforehand, amount of sleep, possibility it was a stitch (diaphragm cramp due to lack of oxygen) etc.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    If your doctor isn't helping you, GO SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR, especially one who deals with asthma.
    It isn't bad for you to ask your dr for a referral to another doctor that specializes in an area that your doc doesn't know as much about.
    This is YOUR BODY, YOUR LIFE. You have the right to seek additional medical attention if you feel that you need more help.

That said, I have asthma, and I find I have to back off quite a bit in the summer while running.
  • DaniiWanii
    Options

I have thanks :)

If I were you I'd definitely take this posters advice and contact her. :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Yes I have tried everything... went to my doctor to and he said there isn't really much I can do I just have to deal with it... doctor is a douche!
    It is just annoying for myself that I can't be as good as I want to be... not calling all asthmatics unfit at all i just am sooo unfit :(

You need a NEW doctor -- I had asthma when I was younger, too, and flare ups usually meant something had changed (allergy season, new allergy, my living environment, etc.) And all the advice from the woman who works w/asthmatic children is good -- contact her. If your asthma is controlled (with medication and knowing triggers), you can run without having an attack.

Good luck!!
  • DaniiWanii
    Options

You need a NEW doctor -- I had asthma when I was younger, too, and flare ups usually meant something had changed (allergy season, new allergy, my living environment, etc.) And all the advice from the woman who works w/asthmatic children is good -- contact her. If your asthma is controlled (with medication and knowing triggers), you can run without having an attack.

Good luck!!

Yes i have messaged her thank you. I just need to know how to push through it and not give up :)
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and when i first started running i had to go slow and take it one day at a time by the time i was running 26+ miles a day I very seldom had to have my inhaler during the day
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    First-find another doctor.

Second-just because you have asthma...don't let it hold you back. I too have asthma (mine is mild, however), although, I had open heart surgery when I was six months old. I was told from a young age that I would never be able to participate in sports that need endurance. I however completed my first official 5k this past weekend. My goal is to compete in an ultramarathon before I turn 30 (I have 4 years to prepare).

Third- Find motivation from athletes that have asthma. I turn to Jerome Bettis.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-09-04-bettis-asthma.htm
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like already said, you probably need to find another doctor.

I spent a lot of years running track and dealing with asthma. It was managable for me with an inhaler. I typically used it before practice or meets religiously.
    But there are occasions when the triggers were too much and you get a full blown attack. At that point there is no pushing thru it, no matter how fit you are.

You really have to get it out of your mind that you can push thru. No you can't.

Find an inhaler or medication that makes your asthma managable is all you can do, and with a good doctor, shouldn't be hard to take care of. Many people are able to exercise & run with asthma.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma and have a horrible time running outside. Here is something to try: run on a treadmill inside- or in an indoor track.

Something about the combination of allergens, heat, pollution, and humidity makes running outside one of the most painful things for my lungs, but if I run inside (combined with medications, pacing etc.) it is dramatically better. Best of luck!