Calling All TURTLES.....

Options

Replies

• brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Hello my fellow turtles! I seem to have a case of stomach flu today....woke up in the middle of the night feeling awful. I feel slightly less awful at the moment....but I will be laying low today.

However, since we are all moving so SLOWLY weight-wise.....I thought it would be fun and inspiring to hear about some NSV's.. I'll start (I already shared this with my fellow 30DS pals). Last Sunday I was sittin in my recliner (after logging my dinner cals) and I flexed my feet forward and OUT POPPED THESE CALVE MUSLES THAT I HAD NEVER SEEN BEFORE! I couldn't believe it! I sat there flexing my feet staring at those muscles pop out over and over again! I actually considered taking a picture....maybe I still will. Anyway, that's my NSV to share. What have you noticed recently? :bigsmile:
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady....

As for NSV's - I keep noticing the muscles in my biceps - and recently saw a picture from the 4th of July weekend and had to look at the picture more than once- like wow, didn't realize I've lost that much. Not to mention waking up that weekend realizing that I didn't have any jeans that fit and I needed to go buy some (from 16 to 10).
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Slow and steady....

As for NSV's - I keep noticing the muscles in my biceps - and recently saw a picture from the 4th of July weekend and had to look at the picture more than once- like wow, didn't realize I've lost that much. Not to mention waking up that weekend realizing that I didn't have any jeans that fit and I needed to go buy some (from 16 to 10).

Wow....going from a size 16 to a 10 is amazing! I started at a tight 16 and am now in 14's....and some of them are quite loose.

Nice to find the biceps too huh?
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you know i'm a ninja turtle! ;-) i'm going to do this the healthy way... the right way! we don't have to join groups where people are losing 3-5 pounds a week! that's just not healthy for some of us! it's about health. it's about better looking skin, a toner body, more endurance, increased strength, and an improved mental attitude from all of the above! :-) oh yeah! we're turtles AND proud of it...most of the time!

my NSV- i don't own a body fat scale, but the last time i checked myself it was around 25-26%. no one who knows me believes this, but sadly, it's true. i've been walk/running for several months and have been doing the 30 day shred for somewhere around 12-13 days. i checked my body fat last night on the same scales as before and it says i'm at 19%!!! REALLY??? from 26 to 19??? first, i rechecked because i thought it MUST have been a mistake. NO ONE can burn that much off THAT quickly, can they? ...but no... it was still 19%. if i wasn't at my in-laws i'd be doing a double jump rope. (that was for all my fellow 30 DS'ers!) ;-)
  • brendalyne
    Options
    That's awesome j_c! And it's another great way to measure success. Who wants less body fat? I DO, I DO!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    From 14 to 10 was really quick. One day at work I realized I was hiking my pants all day - went out and got 12's. Three weeks later I was in 10/11's. I don't do situps or crunches, but I do use an ab machine at the gym. You'll be there before you know it if your 14's are loose now.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    My NSV is that I ran for half a mile the other day without stopping! It was one of my intervals on Couch to 5K training, and for someone who has literally started from scratch on this running process I was pretty pleased with myself! Going out again today and I hope to do it again :)
  • pineappleartist
    pineappleartist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a turtle!!! Right here. No diet has helped me lose a ton of weight, maybe 5 at best, so I decided to go the slow and healthy route hoping to see results. Well, busting my *kitten* at the gym hasn't worked, so it must be my diet. It's a struggle everyday, but you're right, you have to take it day by day. It's a little frustrating all the workouts I do and not seeing results, but maybe soon something will happen. I need the support!
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    purplecait - that is a GREAT NSV! I've been there myself....and after I get through the 30DS I'm going to get back to jogging myself! And a half mile is nothing to sneeze at. Won't be long and you'll be at a mile.....sometimes I think it's almost as much mental as physical to go from a 1/2 mile to a mile!

patsyacs & pineappleartist - Welcome to the club! I'm sure that everyone here will support you in every way we can!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Okay fellow turtles - here's a thread that I think will be of interest to all of you. FYI - yesterday, I decded to change my weight-loss goal to 1/2 lb per week (it had been 1 lb per week). I decided to do this because I've been on this plateau for 5 weeks now and thought if I upped my calories and actually DID lose 1/2 pound a week that would be a good thing.

Now that I've read this article again, I'm feeling better about that decision. It also talks about eating back exercise cals......and yes you should according to the dietician. I have been doing that, but also exercising a lot - with no breaks - so I am hoping that making this change will get me off my plateau.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/210249-consult-with-a-dietician-key-lessons-learne
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lose 5lbs in a month! I've lost 7 lbs in 2 months! It's very frustrating to see ounces only coming off every week...but I know that every ounce is a win for me. I'm eating better, I'm making healthier choices, I'm moving more, I'm changing my life...I'm NOT on a diet.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ninja Turtles! So fabulous. I am firmly in the turtle camp. I try not to look at scales and I try not to get too caught up in other people's lbs, but it is tough sometimes. Even knowing that scales are the devil, if i weigh and don't see a lower number, I get down.

My main focus is to get in the health habit. I have had some NSV's lately like being able to wear my wedding ring comfortably for the first time in years. I have also noticed that it's becoming easier to ignore the night time munchies. Possibly my body is learning something :)
  • corierose1212
    Options
    I wanna be a turtle... I just joined and just started on my weight loss. I joined the gym and have started working out and can't wait until I can see some loss.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Am I ever a trutle!!!

15 pounds in 8 month 1/2.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    yanicka - you are SO CLOSE to your goal! Congrats on your progres! Even if it is slow it proves to me that we WILL still get there!

corierose - welcome to MFP! This site is wonderful a place to find support on your journey!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    whimsy - I swear the first place I could tell I lost weight was my fingers....suddenly (it seemed at the time) my rings started sliding around! Being able to wear your wedding ring is a GREAT NSV!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's an article in the current (august) issue of prevention magazine that might interest some turtles. It introduces the Health at Every Size ( HAES) movement. HAES focuses solely on learning to live, eat, & move healthfully with no overt focus on weightloss because all the pressures to be thin/lose weight have really damaged a lot of us.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I had 2 NSV's tonight. :heart:

I compete with a synchronized (ice) skating team and we had a practice tonight..only our 2nd one of the summer. A team member who I hadn't seen since May came up to me and said "You are looking so skinny! What have you been doing?!?". And then I was doing my usual warm-up routines and exercise...and they were so easy. I mean, like how-it-felt-like-as-teenager easy (and I am now 35!). I felt so powerful and smooth. I'm just amazed at how losing some weight and gaining a little muscle from the 30 Day Shred helped me recapture technique. And I recaptured my love of the sport. I can't wait to get back on the ice! Getting healthier gives you SO much more than just a smaller number on the scale! So excited!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Toadie - that is AWESOME! And you are amazing my friend!