Do protein shakes/powders help you feel more satisfied during the day?

Options
I am not looking for a meal replacement just something to help me get more protein in my diet and hopefully make me more satisfiied. Any recommendations for a certain type/brand? I've never used supplements or anything like this so I am clueless.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Molly_234 wrote: »
    I am not looking for a meal replacement just something to help me get more protein in my diet and hopefully make me more satisfiied. Any recommendations for a certain type/brand? I've never used supplements or anything like this so I am clueless.

Yes, they do. I don't think they are generally as satiating as other whole food sources of protein like chicken, however they do tend to provide some satiety for most people.

I also think it's fine to use them as a meal replacement provided that your overall nutrition is reasonable.

My recommendations for brand would be either Optimum Nutrition or PEScience.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    They don't help me much but some.

I played around with my macros and found a protein carb and fat with every meal helps me stay satisfied longer.
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been really tired of chicken and I eat in a cafeteria/dining facility so I don't have many options beside chicken and sandwich meat. Lately I've been eating a lot of carbs, fruit and veggies and occasionally Greek yogurt but other then that I don't really eat meat unless I go to a restaurant.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Yes, they do. I don't think they are generally as satiating as other whole food sources of protein like chicken, however they do tend to provide some satiety for most people.

I also think it's fine to use them as a meal replacement provided that your overall nutrition is reasonable.

My recommendations for brand would be either Optimum Nutrition or PEScience.

To add to SS here, if you blend in spinach, kale, or oats, you'll have a thicker shake.
    For instance my shake:
    Pineapple juice
    Kale
    A little coconut milk
    A scoop of Optimum Nutrition Natural Vanilla whey

Blend it.
    Perfect meal.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Drinking calories doesn't satisfy me at all - I prefer to use protein powder in yoghurt, or in Pancake mix, to increase the protein in those foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They really don't satisfy me at all unfortunately. The only one that did was Shakeology, but I really can't recommend it with that insane price tag.
  • charmurr
    charmurr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Drinking calories doesn't satisfy me at all - I prefer to use protein powder in yoghurt, or in Pancake mix, to increase the protein in those foods.

What a terrific idea
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Not for me. The only thing that makes me feel satisfied is volume. But I don't have a good relationship with food or normal hungry/full signals, so take this for what it's worth.
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I also needed more protein in my diet in order to reach my macros. So, I started blending smoothies using Premium Gold Whey Chocolate or Gold Standard Natural Whey Vanilla - along with almond milk, greek yogurt, fruit (raw or frozen), spinach, and sometimes a powdered peanut butter (PB2). I found that I had an increase in energy (don't know if that's just the increased protein or an overall diet change) and I personally really like the taste of mine. I used to drink them consistently every day, but now I just drink them if I'm going meatless for a day. I'm not sure if they really decreased my appetite overall. I could do a protein shake as a replacement for breakfast or dinner, but never lunch.
  • sahalbur
    sahalbur Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my protein powder! I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. In the morning with my coffee instead of adding creamer to my coffee I will add a scoop of powder and ice to make iced coffee! So yummy!

I generally feel full with mine, however if I am going to have it as a meal verses a snack, I will add a side of steamed veggies or something for a healthy carb, just so I feel like I'm "chewing" verses just drinking.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I would have to say long term, no, they don't. But, there's a catch for me, I use a whey isolate which is typically absorbed faster than plain whey. You can also get hydrolyzed whey which is more or less pre-digested (sounds gross doesn't it?) to an extent to make it even easier to absorb. Anyway, the whey isolate I use stays with me for about an hour or a bit less then I can typically feel hungry again. Used at the right times it might satiate me more, but I typically use them along with meals to enhance protein levels. As far as staying satiated I simply split my meals up into 5-6 per day instead of 3. Worked great for me.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps me. I use ON Gold Standard's double chocolate and mix it into my yogurt. If I drink it, I find that it is more satiating if I mix it with whole milk than if I mix it with water. I also use rice protein powder and egg protein powder in my oatmeal and smoothies. It's hard for me to meet my daily protein goal without it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    This is just me, but I stick with casein powders because they go further as far as keeping me full than whey does.

I buy dymatize casein from gnc. The price isn't bad and they taste good. Especially the chocolate.
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeah im looking for something to add to my oatmeal or yogurt. Even drink it if I have to, but I just need to get more protein. Going to buy some this weekend after some more research on what kind to get. Are there any bad side effects such as stomach issues?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yeah im looking for something to add to my oatmeal or yogurt. Even drink it if I have to, but I just need to get more protein. Going to buy some this weekend after some more research on what kind to get. Are there any bad side effects such as stomach issues?

If you are lactose intolerant then stick with whey isolates because they have little or no lactose in them. Otherwise just try what you want and see how it affects you.

• cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    To me it's just protein in general. It doesn't have to be a protein shake. I eat a ton of high protein low fat meat, plain yogurt, egg whites and don't feel as hungry.
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Some of them will help some of them won't. It depends on the type you get as well as the quality. Sustained Assimilation will digest more slowly than Isolate protien. However whatever you do decide to go with make sure it is processed with VERY low heat or the protein will be de-natured and the affects be diminished.
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also the question you had about stomach issues. Yes you can have the unpleasant burps or you may have gas but this is only going to come with low quality protien. Make sure to stay hydrated.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

I do this pretty often myself.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes fill me up and are awesome because I don't eat enough chewable protein throughout the day. I like to make one before bed with milk and Ovaltine or Mexican chocolate. Sometimes I add a little peppermint schnapps, Bailey's, or Kahlua for a treat. I just picked up a bag of unflavored whey protein from the bulk bin at Winco. I used to order an unflavored whey online, but I've been lazy. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners so I'm pretty limited.