Have you ever thought about where your food issues come from?

Options
My father was a European immigrant when he was a child - one of 11 kids and an alcoholic father, and they had been poor, and hungry.

Growing up, dinners in my house consisted of being served a meal as big as my Dad ate, and then being screamed at until it was all eaten. Praise was delivered for having a big appetite and the reward was dessert. In his own way he was proud of being able to provide for his children so we would never go hungry.

As an adult, I did not know how to eat anything less than huge meals, until I was full. I have been keto (low carb) for 4 years, and have limited my calories that whole time. I have lost about 70lbs. I still do not know what it means to eat "until satisfied". I weigh and record all of my food, and I eat based on the maths. I still don't understand "eat when you're hungry". On low carb you are naturally less hungry, which helps me to control my eating, but that's exactly what it is - control. I will never know the feeling of intuitively eating what my body needs, and staying at a healthy weight. I don't think I will ever have a healthy relationship with food - intellectually I know the whys and hows of it all, but it's very difficult to change something that is as much a part of you as your eye colour or your height.

Replies

• Who_Needs_Pants
    Who_Needs_Pants Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This ^^^^^.
  • BCullari
    BCullari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have always self-medicated negative emotions with food...and it bloated me up like a walking land-whale.
    My mommy and daddy are to blame which is why we never talk - well, that and they're both deceased which just makes me want a gallon of chocolate ice-cream!
    :(
  • Pamela_43
    Pamela_43 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My father was a European immigrant when he was a child - one of 11 kids and an alcoholic father, and they had been poor, and hungry.

Growing up, dinners in my house consisted of being served a meal as big as my Dad ate, and then being screamed at until it was all eaten. Praise was delivered for having a big appetite and the reward was dessert. In his own way he was proud of being able to provide for his children so we would never go hungry.

As an adult, I did not know how to eat anything less than huge meals, until I was full. I have been keto (low carb) for 4 years, and have limited my calories that whole time. I have lost about 70lbs. I still do not know what it means to eat "until satisfied". I weigh and record all of my food, and I eat based on the maths. I still don't understand "eat when you're hungry". On low carb you are naturally less hungry, which helps me to control my eating, but that's exactly what it is - control. I will never know the feeling of intuitively eating what my body needs, and staying at a healthy weight. I don't think I will ever have a healthy relationship with food - intellectually I know the whys and hows of it all, but it's very difficult to change something that is as much a part of you as your eye colour or your height.

I feel for your dad. Being profoundly hungry and having nothing to eat, is a feeling you never forget and never want to experience again. I know exactly why I am the way I am. I gained control by listening to myself and not others. I cant stand to be hungry but I can tolerate it as long as I know I CAN eat if I choose to. I dont do the "if it's not in the house you want eat it" thing. I have plenty of food in the house, so I feel comforted knowing I could have it if I wanted it. That helps me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I look at photos of when i was young 5,6,7,8, and I was a chubby little girl but not anything unusual. I remember looking at myself in the mirror when I was 8 and thinking I look fine why do my parents think I'm fat. As a preteen my mother would go on diets with me she would have me do workout tapes with her and would make me ride my bike for an hour ever day in the summer. My grandparent would say you would be so pretty if you lost a few pounds. My parents would question everything I ate. Do you really need two pieces of toast? Do you really need this and that. I felt so bad about eating I would hide food and wrappers in my room. I would wrap things in toilet paper and flush them down the toilet or put them at the bottom of the garbage can. I would walk or ride my bike to the gas station and spend all the money I had on sweets and sodas.
    I was very active I was in softball, basketball, track,I lived in town and walked or rode everywhere. I would play bad mitten every day of the summer because my best friend lived next door, but she could not go out of her yard while her parents were not at home so we met at the fence and played bad-mitten all day. High school I was in marching band, and musicals (lots of dancing) and later color guard (dancing with flags). I was active and fit but still 180lbs as a highschooler.
    My dad would call me fat. My mother would not say it but she would say she was worried about me and would try cabbage soup diet, Weight Watchers (several times), Atkins, LA Weight loss. She took me to the doctor who told me no mater what I did I would never be skinny and then gave me a food plan that was basically the cabbage soup diet. No matter what I did or tried the scale would only move 5 -10lbs.
    In Collage I was not active and I still had that bad food habits secret eating. I would feel so ashamed of myself.
    I ballooned. After collage I lived with my boyfriend (still do) and would eat in my car, fast food, sandwiches from the grocery store, candy, anything I had money I would buy it. I tried to stop I tried to count calories work out 5 days a week for several hours. I felt better but the scale only move 10lbs.
    This went on for several more years and finally I found out I have Celiac in March 2016. Once this was under-control I am now able to lose weight. I was malnourished, fat, but malnourished so my body held onto my fat thinking I was starving. I have been doing CICO since March have lost weight and have realized that I don't need to hide food. I am an adult. I try very hard to stick to this but sometimes when I'm in the kitchen eating a snack like cheese or a spoon full of peanut butter, and my boyfriend walks in I jump like I have been caught doing something wrong, and I then have to remind myself. I am doing nothing wrong. I am hungry I needed a snack. I can eat this snack and nothing will be wrong. I won't be yelled at.
    I am working on my problems mentally and physically and I feel like I am doing a good job.
    I don't blame my parents, but I think if they were food positive I would not have the ketch in my brain to hide my food like a squirrel.

I still do that sometimes, too. Like if I decide to have something "questionable" with my calories or it's a big snack. My husband can be blunt and critical. He used to make comments. When I got married is when I started the "hide/binge" nonsense. He's let up a lot with it now that he's seen all I have done. And when I do decide to indulge, he keeps his mouth shut, as he knows it's a one-off and none of his business. I still catch myself doing it a little but it's getting better. Just keep at it consistently and time will help you release that. You've got this.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That one is easy to answer now - well, easier - than it used to be. My childhood household was chaotic - mentally ill father, domestic violence perpetrated on my mother, I was a long-term victim of psychological/emotional/sexual abuse at his hands. So I ended up a binge eater. It's taken a lot of hours in therapy to get some of it somewhat resolved - I'm still a work in progress. I understand better why I do what I do to myself, but I still don't understand it fully to the point where I've broken the cycle entirely.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I never really had issues with food until my 30s. As a kid, my dad kept tons of junk food in the house, but I usually ignored it and went for the raw fruits and veggies, mixed nuts, and lunch meats that my mom kept in the house. Most candy, especially chocolate, made me sick to my stomach. When I was a teenager, I ate terrible food, but not really in excess. All through those years and into my twenties, though, I was a smoker (but I also walked and biked a lot of places), so I did not have to work hard at staying thin. I just ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and stayed the same weight.

I lost both my dad and my grandmother in my late 20s, though, and moved really far away from the rest of my family for grad school shortly thereafter. I struggled with money a lot and had a few stretches where I was too poor to buy food and too proud to ask for help. Being depressed about the loss of family, acually knowing real hunger for the first time in my life, and then quitting smoking (and other vices) in 2012 caused a perfect storm where I started eating my feelings and gained over 40 pounds over the next four years. I binged on cookies, cake, french fries, and other hyperpalatable foods that would give me the little seratonin boost or feeling of comfortable numbness that I was craving.

I've been abstaining from the above foods and reverting to a more PBWF-oriented diet for over a month now and am working through my emotional issues. Eventually, sweets and fried foods will come back into my life (in moderation), but right now I know that they are a crutch and a binge trigger that will prevent me from really unpacking my baggage. Having had experience with and having overcome other kinds of addiction in my past, I can attest to overeating having a temporary numbing effect that simply delays and prolongs suffering rather than ending it.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I didn't realize until a few years ago where my issues came from. My Mumm gave me the insight when she was looking through pictures for my Father's mother's funeral and realized that I was never heavy until my grandmother (HER mother) committed suicide. When I really thought about it, I realized that the only thing I had to associate with my grandmother was food. She died when I was only in second grade and due to her mental health issues, she never really interacted with my brother and I, but she DID cook. ALL the time. So the only way I could really relate to her death was to think about the foods she would never make again. I think this is the reason why when I find something I really like to eat, I MUST EAT IT ALL!!!! Unfortunately, though, knowing what the root of the issue IS, and actually being able to do something about it, don't necessarily coincide.

And of course, it didn't help that my mother has her own issues and barely ate, but loved to feed and always talked about how fat she was. . . which made ME feel even worse about myself.

I finally started losing weight when I was 20, after giving my baby up for adoption. I think it gave me something to focus on other than my mental and emotional pain. Unfortunately I knew nothing about nutrition and have a Type A personality, and I ended up becoming anorexic and losing over 200lbs. Then I swung up to binge eating and gained back 80. Now I've kind of stabilized but I think I will always have food issues, and the holidays and any kind of celebrations and vacations really stress me out.
  • jruck371
    jruck371 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My parents are both fad dieters.. and never been able to successfully lose weight and keep it off.. I didn't realize how much that effected me until I left home.

The first time my mom took me to weight watchers I was 10, the only thing I remember about it was that I was starving all the time and started sneaking food and binge eating and purging but never lost any weight. From there i did paleo, jenny craig, and a nutritionist (which actually worked for a while).
    Foods in our house were labeled "good" and "bad" and there were foods we couldn't keep in the house because my parents couldn't control themselves around them.
    It wasn't until I met my boyfriend and moved in with him that I started to realize how crazy their diets are- and how much shame they made me feel about my weight and the food I ate.

I now eat what I want within my calories, and although most of the food would be considered healthy (fruits, veg, lean meats) I also enjoy chocolate without guilt, butter, whole milk instead of skim, salami, wine, and many other taboo foods (in moderation of course) that I would have never had at my parents.

I noticed this recently when my parents came over to our place for breakfast and my dad commented on how putting homo milk in his coffee (since its all we have at our house) was "such a treat" and "something he can only have once a year". Seriously? Life's too short to punish yourself by eating foods you hate- and 40 cal worth of homo milk is not going to wreck your diet.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I spent my first 3.5 years in an orphanage. When I was adopted by an American family. I used to hide bread/rolls in my room, and once my mom caught me with strips of bacon in my pocket when we were at the bank. She thought it was hilarious.

When I was 9 my parents adopted 3 more girls (sisters). They were very petite and very thin. When I went through puberty I filled out and suddenly was much larger than them. It messed me up. I felt so fat around them even though I wasn't. Starting as a young teenager I was always dieting so I could be "petite" like them.
  • lmunik
    lmunik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im reading all of these and it seems as though a lot of diet issues come from family issues. I had the same go on in my kife. But now im older, much older and the culprit is me. I have to deal with my issues and emotions as they currently are- forgetting my past. Remember the goal is health.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I never had a food issue. I was never obsessed with food or binged at night etc..No sweet tooth whatsoever. I gained weight because I didn't have time to prepare meals at home. I ate fast, frozen and processed foods on the go all the time.
    Now I'm losing weight by eating Whole/Unprocessed real foods.
    When I go thru tough times, I just stop eating.