Lift heavy? or Lift moderately?

Options
Hi. I'm trying to lost body fat and create a firm, sculpted physique. I am 5'8'' and range from 160-165lbs (depending on the day and on my salt intake). I have been doing 'toning' workouts with higher reps on fitnessblender.com for about 3 weeks, and not using heavier than 10lb dumbbells per hand. Recently, I have bought a bar and plates and a bench, and have been lifting heavy weights and doing low reps (5-9 usually). So my question is, which method is better for my overall fitness goals? (which are to: to lose body fat, look better in clothes, have muscle, and feel good)

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    which method is better for my overall fitness goals? (which are to: to lose body fat, look better in clothes, have muscle, and feel good)

um, so just being pedantic but those are a sort of mixture of fitness and aesthetic goals. i can't really speak to the aesthetics, but i started with stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength and then moved to wendler 5/3/1. so i like the heavier approach, personally.

however, the last information i saw was that the total volume of weight moved is what stimulates your body to make more muscle, so high reps with low weight will do it too, if you do enough of it. progressive overload is really the thing, no matter which way you go about it.

as far as the 'lose fat' part, i know i've seen a lot of rhetoric about how strength training [fill in your word] fat, and those promises were kind of what got me looking into it to begin with. but ime it doesn't really. you need to eat to feed the muscles you're trying to grow, so it's more like it just complements other strategies in that respect.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If still in beginning/intermediate stage, if you had to pick one rep range, the 5-9 RM is best choice.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I started on a body weight programme and found that as time went on, I was having to do more and more reps and frankly I got bored.
    I just switched to strong lifts and it's like a breath of fresh air! No more squillions of reps; just increase the weight (though I'm doing it more gradually than the programme suggests) and already I can feel a difference.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This is another reason that I am a fan of 5/3/1 with BBB accessories. Why chose one method? Do both.

Start the session with strength work (1-5 range with 80-95%) in the compounds, then hit the compound accessory of the day for 10x5x60%. Then toss in the other complimentary accessories for 10x5x60%.

This approach was called powerbuilding back in the day, and was utilized by some of the biggest and strongest. Admittedly though , I do subscribe to Wendler's ideals on this: "I don't care how big you are; if you're not strong, you are a sham."
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm old and have very dodgy joints. I also have chronic migraines and lifting very heavy triggers them.

With that out of the way...

I like to lift heavy enough to challenge me, but not heavy enough to injure. I'm a fan of following a structured program in a higher rep range with what other people would consider moderate weight for my needs.

Or, in other words, what SideSteel said.

Since you're not me, your mileage will likely vary.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Everything @SideSteel said is spot on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I like programs that incorporate a variety of ranges. But largely, I think if you are looking to maximize the results, getting a structured program will provide you the best result, along with a calorie deficit and adequate protein like others have suggested.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lift moderately. I'd imagine it being easier to encounter injuries as a female with fitness and alternative forms of bodybuilding. Low and slow at first is always great.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hi. I'm trying to lost body fat and create a firm, sculpted physique. I am 5'8'' and range from 160-165lbs (depending on the day and on my salt intake). I have been doing 'toning' workouts with higher reps on fitnessblender.com for about 3 weeks, and not using heavier than 10lb dumbbells per hand. Recently, I have bought a bar and plates and a bench, and have been lifting heavy weights and doing low reps (5-9 usually). So my question is, which method is better for my overall fitness goals? (which are to: to lose body fat, look better in clothes, have muscle, and feel good)

Fat loss is going to primarily come from your ability to eat fewer calories than you expend. Do this for long enough and your body will turn to stored energy to make up the difference between those two.

If you do this without lifting weights and without consuming adequate dietary protein, you will also lose muscle tissue as you diet. Lifting weights will greatly assist in reducing muscle loss during the diet with the potential (in limited cases and limited amounts) to gain muscle as well.

Short answer:

You can gain muscle in a variety of rep ranges using a variety of weights. If I HAD to choose a rep range for the majority of people to work in, it would probably be anywhere between 6-15 reps where the majority of your sets leave about 1 to 3 repetitions in reserve (stop shy of failure by this amount most of the time) and using loads that allow those conditions to be met.

Me rambling about stuff, you can skip if you want:

However, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) Using lower weights relative to your strength levels (weights that are "easy") require you to perform A LOT more repetitions before you're maximally recruiting muscle fibers. And so at some point, it becomes inefficient to use weights that are "too easy" because you may not have time to do multiple sets of 50+ repetitions (I'm using an extreme example to make a point). Not to mention, very high volumes SUCK and if you're actually taking them anywhere near failure it may cause vomiting.

2) Using heavier weights relative to your strength levels (weights that are "hard") likely bring about added injury risk, and usually require much greater rest times in order to complete a sufficient amount of training volume to cause muscle hypertrophy. So for example if you're doing sets of 2 to 3 reps with very heavy loads you likely need to to several of those sets to achieve comparable hypertrophy to doing sets of 10 with lower loads.

Fortunately, you don't have to choose a rep range and you can perform some high rep work, some moderate rep work, and some low rep work if you'd like to.

Ultimately, I'd recommend getting on a program that's already designed, has a good track record (is reputable) and fits your goals, rather than designing one on your own.

All of this.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Lift moderately. I'd imagine it being easier to encounter injuries as a female with fitness and alternative forms of bodybuilding. Low and slow at first is always great.

Injury can happen to anyone, not just ladies. If someone's form is wrong, they'll injure themselves, gender has nothing to do with it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

LOL-What?!

Anyway, I personally like to keep anything that involves a barbell in the 3-8 rep range. Isolation lifts (e.g. Bicep Curls, Skullcrushers, etc.) I like to keep in the 6-15 rep range. So basically, mix it up.

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Nah bro, men are more dumb so we're more apt to injury. Trust me, it's science.

Repeatable. I can prove it lol.

OP - great advice here. One thing I would add is that you may have to try several methods/programs in order to find your preferred style.

I started with a hypertrophy routine, moved to bodyweight (which I love) and then to strength training with 5x5, and now do a mix of strength and bodyweight, which seems to suit me very well.

My wife, who I thought would want bodyweight, tried 5x5 strength training and loves it, and is making great gains and shaping up very nicely. So YMMV of course.

And as has been said, keep the calories in check by logging and making the right choices. You'll find you niche as you progress and learn more, and doing any vetted program with proper form and frequency is better than none at all.

Good luck on your journey.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not a power lifter or body builder so there is no reason for me to "specialize" and live in any one rep range. I lift primarily because it benefits my overall athleticism and yes, ultimately my physique. I work in various rep ranges depending on where I'm at in a cycle or what cycle I'm on.

UrF1U.png
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options

Uh, wut?!? Guess I better go back to the pink weights and give up on my goal of a 360 lb deadlift this year. I didn't realize in my 42 years of being female that I injured more easily.

v8l8gu0xk7hj.gif

Isn't she supposed to be crushing the can on her forehead? :p