Anyone else trying to lose 30+ before their wedding?

Options
emgrace8498
emgrace8498 Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
So we have had a wedding date set before we were engaged, but yesterday evening he proposed. So now I need to lose at least 50 pounds before August 15th 2018. So I have 18 months. Anyone else trying lose weight before there wedding?
Please add me so we can motivate each other!!
-Emily

Replies

• bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not for my wedding but yes to the 30 lbs. Lets be friends and get this weight gone!!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    50lbs in a year and a half is simple if you try.

That is about 72 weeks. So if you only average 1 lb per week you will still blow past your goal with almost 6 months to spare.

Get on a serious training routine, do the work, log your food accurately and look forward to your wedding.

"Thinner Leaner Stronger" (TLS), StrongLifts5x5 (SL5x5), "Strong Curves" or any number of other weight lifting-based programs will get you there.
    Presuming you actually do the work without making excuses...

If you intend to spend most (or all) of your time on a treadmill then don't complain later about poor results or gaining the weight back.

I generally recommend TLS for the amount of content and nutritional advice or SL5x5 because it is free.

Don't think of just "losing weight" because you will usually lose muscle that way as well.
    Losing muscle means your metabolism will be lower and it will be harder to lose additional "weight" or to keep the "weight" off.

Weight lifting preserves muscle and that will raise your metabolism. It also helps to prevent osteoporosis in women.

Think of losing fat and preserving or gaining muscle.
  • apidae
    apidae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    50lbs in a year and a half is simple if you try.

That is about 72 weeks. So if you only average 1 lb per week you will still blow past your goal with almost 6 months to spare.

Get on a serious training routine, do the work, log your food accurately and look forward to your wedding.

"Thinner Leaner Stronger" (TLS), StrongLifts5x5 (SL5x5), "Strong Curves" or any number of other weight lifting-based programs will get you there.
    Presuming you actually do the work without making excuses...

If you intend to spend most (or all) of your time on a treadmill then don't complain later about poor results or gaining the weight back.

I generally recommend TLS for the amount of content and nutritional advice or SL5x5 because it is free.

Don't think of just "losing weight" because you will usually lose muscle that way as well.
    Losing muscle means your metabolism will be lower and it will be harder to lose additional "weight" or to keep the "weight" off.

Weight lifting preserves muscle and that will raise your metabolism. It also helps to prevent osteoporosis in women.

Think of losing fat and preserving or gaining muscle.

Hey :)
    What's wrong with using the treadmil? thanks
  • eileenyun
    eileenyun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, not for a wedding but for this July! I gotta get rid of 30 pounds. Add me if you're serious about accountability! :)
  • BridgetteM14
    BridgetteM14 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to lose 40 by my wedding in June 2018. I'm still fairly new on here and looking to build up my support group! Trying to look good walking down that aisle ☺
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Can I pretend I'm getting married?? LOL
  • DoubleTheLove
    DoubleTheLove Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I wanna lose 30 by August this year for a wedding I'm standing in. Well, 27 lbs now..
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Me! I just got engaged. We haven't set a date yet but either probably sometime at the end of the year or early next year at the latest. So I've definitely gotta get my butt in gear.

I just re-enrolled in boxing classes, and will add in some Zumba and walking/running for cardio. Then plan to do BodyPump and probably start another strength based workout for weight-training.

30+ lbs would be great, but I prefer to focus on size. I would love to get down to a 6-8, currently I'm probably a 12.

Good luck! Please add me!
  • jeniswonge2
    jeniswonge2 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just got "officially" engaged to someone I'm practically already married to and we hope to be legally married this summer (June-July?) And even though we probably won't have a big ceremony, it is still a good motivator and goal to meet. I would love to lose 30 pounds by then!

I just recently started taking MMA classes but can only do a couple of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu classes and Basic Striking classes a week. After about a month I hope to be able to take more advanced classes so we'll see how that goes!
  • adri_rene208
    adri_rene208 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does it count if I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding?! I'm looking to lose 40 by July... feel free to add me!
  • _Emily85
    _Emily85 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am trying to before mine in September
  • _Emily85
    Options
    echovoices wrote: »
    I just got "officially" engaged to someone I'm practically already married to and we hope to be legally married this summer (June-July?) And even though we probably won't have a big ceremony, it is still a good motivator and goal to meet. I would love to lose 30 pounds by then!

I just recently started taking MMA classes but can only do a couple of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu classes and Basic Striking classes a week. After about a month I hope to be able to take more advanced classes so we'll see how that goes!

That's awesome I love mma I think it would be so much fun to learn
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    How's everybody doing? I'm down about 4 lbs so far. We haven't signed contracts yet, but we're looking at November for the place we like. If I can manage to lose at a minimum 5 lbs per month I'll be down 40 by then, which would be awesome!

I showed a friend a pic of the dress I have my eye on, and she totally killed my dreams lol. She doesn't think I can do it! But I explained to her that I'm going into my dress selection as ok if this looks good on me at this size, it can only get better if I'm smaller. I'm not going into it as oh this doesn't look good on me now but I hope it will 8 months from now. That would be setting myself up for failure...in my opinion. So I think I'm being realistic.

First week was easy, but it always is right when you're starting out?!? So I'm hoping to stick to diet this week again, usually my downfall.

Let's stick with it!
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose a lot before my cousins wedding. I'm in her wedding party and most of them are like size 0's which I most definitely am not! Refuse to stick out like a sore thumb!!
  • _Emily85
    Options
    How's everybody doing? I'm down about 4 lbs so far. We haven't signed contracts yet, but we're looking at November for the place we like. If I can manage to lose at a minimum 5 lbs per month I'll be down 40 by then, which would be awesome!

I showed a friend a pic of the dress I have my eye on, and she totally killed my dreams lol. She doesn't think I can do it! But I explained to her that I'm going into my dress selection as ok if this looks good on me at this size, it can only get better if I'm smaller. I'm not going into it as oh this doesn't look good on me now but I hope it will 8 months from now. That would be setting myself up for failure...in my opinion. So I think I'm being realistic.

First week was easy, but it always is right when you're starting out?!? So I'm hoping to stick to diet this week again, usually my downfall.

Let's stick with it!

I'm down 14 so far but I have till September for my wedding so I think I should be fine as long as I stick to it
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm already married but I'm a bridesmaid in October - can that count? . (Got 3 other weddings, 3 hen weekends and 2 holidays in between too.) 30lb overall (well, 2 stone). Lost half a stone (7lb) so far. Add me.

Most weeks I'm doing:
    Pumpfit class
    Street fit class
    Dog walking (don't add as extra, just include the steps)
    Gym 2 or 3 times a week - 20min cardio (treadmill, rowing machine, bike) and 40 min on weights and plank type exercises.

Mainly doing this to look hot! Get rid of big belly, tone up, lose weight. Stronger lungs really help me cope better with my allergies and queried asthma.

Question: why lose lots of weight for your wedding? Is it going to last afterwards?

I ask because I'd not lost what I wanted to before mine and was disappointed in myself. I was much smaller than I am now though so I regret putting that pressure on myself for the one day.

Also, I admit to being a yoyo - it's worse when I do it for a specific weekend or holiday. Afterwards I always give it up. This time I'm trying not to think "I want to be 10 stone by March" or "a size 8 by August" - I'm just logging meal by meal, exercise by exercise. Trying to develop good habits and enjoy the process rather than see it as a chore.

The classes help. I like the teachers, the other women in the session. It feels good.
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose 30 pounds before my wedding...but I am not engaged!
  • kyfountain754
    kyfountain754 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm getting married in December 2017 and I have about 30-40 more pounds I'd like to lose before then. Congratulations on your engagement by the way!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    I'm still at it. I'm killing the workouts, just need to get better with food choices. It always takes awhile for the lbs to start to move for me, so I went through my closet and found some shorts that I could wear last summer....and OMG they are tight! So those will be the shorts I try on weekly; losing inches motivates me a lot so hopefully those shorts start fitting soon and then start to get loose!

My extremities are always the first thing to slim down, and by stomach/back is always the slowest...and of course that's where I need it the most. We decided on January 2018 so I have a little longer than if we did it this year. I am going to try on dresses for the first time at the end of the month. Excited!
  • jadaatenise
    jadaatenise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck! Not losing weight for a wedding but I have 35+ pounds left to go in my weight loss.