Lost 9kg in 13 days

Options
Is this normal?

I've been eating between 470 to 580 calories three times daily and tonight I'm going to have a protein shake as a snack. I was 127kg when I started. So, I was fairly overweight. Basically obese. I'm not exercising. Is it normal for the weight to be lost this quick?

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Some water weight, yes...9kg seems like an awful lot, though. But it's no wonder. You're eating really very little for a guy of your size. You're basically under-eating.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Instead of just guessing at a calorie range, have you put your stats in to mfp to get a calorie goal for weight Loss? You might be surprised that you can eat more, and still lose weight (in a slower manner - this would likely be more manageable and sustainable long term).
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting 9 kg in 13 day is alot like person above said may be water weight aswell but i would recommend making your weight lost more sustainable and lose it slower to reduce risk of falling of the rails also highly recommend going to the gym 2-3 times and doing full body like sqauts deadlift bench press is all you really need no need for cardio but doing but you can definitely probably build some muscle whilst lising weight especially if youve never prooerley trained before
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is a lot in a short time.... i've got 80-90Kg to lose and i'm eating between 1600-1800 for 5 weeks now and lost 8kg

I just can't bring myself to eat more .... my MFP goal for a 1kg loss is almost 2400 cals a day
    Most sites suggest my TDEE is upwards of 3000+
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Nope, probably half of it is water weight.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is a lot in a short time.... i've got 80-90Kg to lose and i'm eating between 1600-1800 for 5 weeks now and lost 8kg

I just can't bring myself to eat more .... my MFP goal for a 1kg loss is almost 2400 cals a day
    Most sites suggest my TDEE is upwards of 3000+

Maybe you need to be picking more calorie dense foods, i never have a problem getting my calorie goal up with meals, even small ones if im using dense foods.

Ok ... i COULD eat more .... i just don't feel the need or desire given my current position ... i didn't think my loss rate was so high that it was an issue ... about 1 - 1.5kg a week doesn't feel crazy for someone of my weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You're obese and it's the first week. It's fine!
  • dermotjamesbuckley1
    Options
    36g carbs, 13g fat, 23g protein every meal - 4 times a day. Is this a good ratio of carbs to fat to protein?
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Some of that is probably water weight since its that high so don't get disheartened if you stall or gain some of that water weight back over the next few weeks as your body adjusts (it might continue to go down but just a heads up). Your deficit also seems very high so be sure you're doing something you can maintain and you have enough energy.

Most of all congratulations on the loss, its a great start. :)
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true that it was mostly water weight, but keep it up!
    At that weight you can lose that kind of weight safely.
    Cut out the shake and eat some protein!
    Fatty pieces of biltong, njam njam.
    But start planning on how you are going to maintain your weight loss.
    Most people just don't have the will power to go into maintenance and go back to their old eating habits and gain everything back.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    But I would cut the carbs to 50 grams net (that's minus fiber) a day.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of advice based on people's personal preferences. Just because one person prefers low carb, that's not necessarily the best answer for you. Weight loss is anything but one-size-fits-all.

Here are some good threads for you to read:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • sarahrusse_
    sarahrusse_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are the faster you lose weight at the start
  • dermotjamesbuckley1
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help!