Need advice and/or diet buddy....

Options
Not exactly new but going the wrong way....
I'm a 63yr.old woman with a myriad of illnesses including fibromyialgia, CF, IBS, MF, high BP & now high cholesterol. My doctor is less than thrilled with me & wants to put me on yet another two medications, this time a statin & something for depression but I said no, I'm going to try with diet & some exercise. (Plus NOT depressed just annoyed) However with snow & cold weather it's hard to get any exercise & doubly hard to eat salad. I have lost two pounds but that's it.....

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Any advice?

Replies

• Genevie8
    Genevie8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you like to walk? I hate trying to exercise indoors also, but do you have any Leslie Sansone walk indoors tapes? They are good. I used to use those. You do a bit more than walk in place, but you don't have to. The nice thing about this in your home is that you can sit it out or take a break when needed.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are having to deal with so many difficult health issues, but it's awesome you are wanting to do what you can to try to control it before resorting to more meds! I still have a ways to go, but have cut my triglycerides in half, my cholesterol by 30%, and went from a high risk cardio category to one of the lowest. Some chronic issues have slowed me down lately (nothing serious, just annoying, like you say ;) ), and I know it makes things a challenge.

Strictly speaking, exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, though I find it makes the biggest difference in how I *feel*. I second the Leslie Sansone suggestion (I actually belong to an LS/walking group on here). If you would like to check it out and are tech savvy, she has some free videos on youtube.com . Also, when I first started and had a lot of joint issues and limited mobility, I got a good quality recumbent stationary bike and it was a real life-saver. I can do other things now, but still use it regularly because it's the only exercise that doesn't leave me watching the clock. I put on my favorite music and am willing to really push myself.

And why would you eat salad in winter? ;) I know you probably just threw that out there as an example, but it suggests maybe you do have the mentality that you have to eat certain foods to lose weight & be healthy. I've improved my diet a lot over the years, but it's a work in progress. The weight loss had the biggest impact on my health. If you've entered your current stats, accurate activity level without exercise, and have chosen a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (probably not 2 lbs/week unless you are obese, and maybe not even then if you can't be very active), accurately log and eat that number of calories, period. You don't have to eat foods you don't like- just aim for a balanced mix that helps you stay within your goal. The rest is just patience. I will be pulling for you :)
  • valkc1953
    valkc1953 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check out the videos, maybe that will help. I do walk but can't right now, way too much snow & freezing cold. It's so hard to eat right in winter because I crave all the wrong foods. Could I ask what types of foods you both enjoy? I am not a salad person.
  • 22Brentwoodgirl
    22Brentwoodgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I live in a cold climate too, and salad in the winter sometimes just does not hit the spot! So I have lots of soups. I don't follow fancy recipes but soup is a great way to get lots of filling veggies without breaking the bank or going over my calories for a day.
    Also spaghetti squash is a favourite of mine. It is filling, low calorie and delish!
    I agree with the advice above from try2again. Choose a reasonable weekly loss goal and eat a balanced variety of food. The rest really is patience. It will take time. Your cravings will calm down, but mine have never gone away. Think of how much better you will feel in a few months! By then it will be spring and easier to get outside. Best wishes to you valkc1953.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have a hubby that is very active & a weight lifter and can eat anything and I still have young kids at home, so we tend to eat very "normal" things. Breakfast for me is either oatmeal with berries, eggs & a high fiber English muffin, or a Greek yogurt & high fiber cereal. Lunch is usually soup & a sandwich, dinner leftovers, or one of those dreaded salads! (but my salads typically have meat & cheese, veggies, or apples & I don't skimp on dressing). Dinner is pretty normal family fare- casseroles, skillet dishes, soups, pizza, frozen items like fish & fries, etc. Last night was burger, fries, & a shake night- turkey burgers, Ore Ida fast food fries, and a smoothie made with fruit juice, spinach, and greek yogurt. You don't have to completely overhaul your diet. Eat the things you love in correct portions and round it out with lower calorie fruits & veggies.

I use my blog for recipes and I have some good soups & cold-weather meals on there if you want to check it out. I'll be adding more soon because I've maxed out my recipe storage under my recipes section.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/try2again
  • twinkle2356
    twinkle2356 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi! just started a diet and exercise. my insurance pays for a fitness gym(silver sneakers) started going at least three times a week. Thank goodness they have tvs and a radio hookup. We set a tv up in front of our stepper at home to help with boredom. Does help a lot when we exercise at home. my big problem on dieting is I use a lot of honey in coffee, cereal, etc. 65 cal a tablespoon.. lol. also like eating out. have to cut a lot of that out. BTW, if you can find a used or older wii, they have some excellent walking programs on it and it's a fun program. good luck