Whey intolerance??

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
So normally with they Whey Protein powder, I get kind of gassy or bloated and then I tried the organic plant based protein powder and am not having any of those issues.

Is this a lactose intolerance or a whey intolerance or something?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It could be - do you normally have a bad reaction to lactose?

It could also be the sweeteners used - does the whey use a different sweetener to the plant based protein?
  • ANT98
    ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

It could also be the sweeteners used - does the whey use a different sweetener to the plant based protein?

Yeah, just intolerant to lactose I guess, normally get blaoted or gassy with dairy in general...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    ANT98 wrote: »

Yeah, just intolerant to lactose I guess, normally get blaoted or gassy with dairy in general...

Did you use WPC or WPI? Isolate should have negligible lactose, whereas concentrate still has lactose. If you've only tried WPC, perhaps try a WPI
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You should try a whey isolate. They process it further and IIRC, is close to 99% lactose free. Alternatively, you can try egg protein. After whey and casein, it's one of the best proteins to consume.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    You should try a whey isolate. They process it further and IIRC, is close to 99% lactose free. Alternatively, you can try egg protein. After whey and casein, it's one of the best proteins to consume.

I had issues with whey protein powder and switched to the isolate which is much better. It depends on your level of sensitivity;some people can't tolerate even small amounts.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps and I'd suggest the unflavoured kind as flavoured ones might contain sweeteners which can cause digestive issues in some people.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have problems with whey concentrate, no issues with isolate or casein.