Bringing food on vacation?

Options
I'm going on vacation for an entire week. I'm going to have 2 days of driving 8 hours and 1 day if driving 5 hours. I'm going to be staying at a hotel for a few nights and at a friend's house for a few nights. I want to make sure I at least eat healthy while I'm away and maybe make it to a gym. I'm going to limit myself to only drinking alcohol 2 days tops. What kind of food can i bring with me for at least the first portion? I was thinking oatmeal and fruit would be easy to do but what else could I do for lunches and dinners? I know most places wouldn't be healthy even if I get a salad. I could go to the grocery store but won't be able to cook anything and maybe not even refrigerate... any ideas??

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I tend to stop at larger grocery stores and purchase my meals there. Many have a salad bar, or a produce section with lots of fruits and veggies cut up and ready to eat. The deli usually has items my wife enjoys more than fast foods. Healthier options but it does take a little longer. As for breakfasts, I always take along oatmeal for me and a microwaveable plastic bowl. My wife leans towards fresh fruit and cereal bars.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I bring along my own cooler full of fruits and vegetables when I'm facing a road trip. Certain canned goods like pre-cooked beans, soups work great. Pre-cook brown rice; it keeps well, as does cooked beans. Chop salad fixings ahead of time. I have a set of square Tupperware containers in which to store food. I have two sturdy bags which I load up with fruits and veggies that don't need refrigeration. When we stop to eat, I can whip together a hearty salad pretty easily. I use a bowl that un-collapses for a salad, then a quick rinse and it collapses back flat. When I run low on items, we stop at a grocery store or farm stand and stock up instead of eating at the roadside restaurants. Cheaper, too! The more times you do it, the more good ideas you get for how to package stuff and what to bring.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,837 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Back when I was a kid, my family went on a lot of trips all over western Canada and the US.

In order to save some money, my mother made sandwiches and cut up fruit and veggie pieces the morning we left, and popped the whole works into a cooler.

If we were hungry for snacks ... out came the fruit and veggie pieces. And at lunch, we'd find a rest area where we could pull over and having the sandwiches.

Sometimes we would stop at roadside stands that sold fruit.

My mother also tried to get hotel rooms with little kitchenettes, or at least a fridge, as often as possible so that she could make some of our meals or at least store anything that needed to be cold, like cold cuts, cheese and veggies for the next day's sandwiches.

Now, my husband and I also do a lot of travelling. We don't usually eat while driving, and we don't bring sandwiches with us, but we'll usually eat in a cafe at lunch, and I tend to go for something like a toasted tomato and cheese sandwich.

As for breakfast and dinner, we try to stay in caravan park cabins as much as possible where we've got a kitchen, so we do bring food. But we'll usually go out for dinner at least once.

At Christmas, we actually brought everything, including the equipment, to make a full Christmas dinner in our cabin! :grin:

All that said, I tend to go on a diet break on vacation. I don't go crazy, but I also don't get too concerned if I happen to eat a bit more than usual.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    a cooler for the car ride is essential, it'll make any fruits or veggies last.

In addition to the other stuff already said, bring a jar of peanut butter and buy some of those single serving cheeses (string, babybell, laughing cow) for snacking.