Do protein shakes/powders help you feel more satisfied during the day?

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    They don't help me much, personally. 2 apples for the same calories as a protein shake is much more filling to me. That's why I often have them as "dessert" after a meal, not a snack on their own because liquid calories do nothing for my satiety. Liquid calories combined with a meal work great for me, though. Try and see how you react. Play with the timing combinations. The only way protein powders fill me up on their own is when I make "protein fluff", but that's only because it has so much air whipped into it you're basically inflating your stomach like a balloon.
  • adammeynell86
    adammeynell86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, protein does but it's worth playing around with it, casein (or if you can't stomach casein) then a milk protein (80% casein, 20% whey) will leave you feel much fuller than standard whey, you'll notice when you mix it (I would also suggest leaving it to stand for ten minutes) you end up with an almost angel delight consistency sometimes, as opposed to the whey shake. These proteins also take a decent amount of time to digest, which is why they are ideal bedtime protein sources as opposed to whey protein (which being fast acting is your go to post workout protein).

If you prefer eating your proteins, then can I suggest cottage cheese and a spoon, simple, and a low calorie high protein option?
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    they really help me, I wish I could drink them but they make me very constipated no matter what kind I drink. I have even tried just making my own with cottage cheese and it still does it to me.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    They definitely help me. I get the Premier Protien drinks 160cal/30g protien
    My fav is one of those with a banana and some ice in the Ninja. Keeps me satisfied for several hours and helps reach my protein goals.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Yes !
    BEst way is to try one and then another until you discover your prefrence in taste and nutritional value/calorie ratio.
    :smile: