Exercise and weight loss

Options
Hi, trying to lose weight and wondering how many times I need to exercise a week, I do Metafit 3/4 times a week is that too much or too little?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, none.

Exercise is for cardiovascular health and aesthetics. A calorie deficit is for weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise for weight loss. You can lose weight by eating less and/or moving more.

That said, exercise is great for your health and fitness. I exercise the same amount that I intend to exercise when I get to goal. Exercise is another lifestyle change for me.....one that will help me stay at goal (this time).
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit to lose weight.

Exercise for health and fitness, to retain lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit, and to give yourself a few more calories to eat throughout the day.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise at all. A calorie deficit will give you weight loss, and as I'm on the exercise reserve (healing from surgery, can't exercise) I can assure you that it works. I do like to do cardio and some 'light' hand weights just for overall body health but it's not necessary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I try to be active every day. Getting some cardio at lunch prevents an afternoon crash for me. Depending on the season, I walk, garden, or show shoe. I like to practice yoga a few times a week (I'd do it every morning if my sleep would cooperate :(), and go to the gym to lift weights at least 3 times per week.

None of this is directly related to weight loss - I do it b/c I feel better, sleep better, make better food choices, and earn calories so I can eat more.
  • feefee84
    feefee84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The rest of my message didn't show up for some reason
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree with the others it isn't necessary. It can be helpful to increase how much you can eat. I walk about a mile each way to work 3 times a week and three quarters of a mile at lunch, and it makes about a 200cal difference in terms of how much I can eat that day - which is really significant in terms of how easy it is to stick to my calories. That sort of small exercise is easy to incorporate and can give you extra wiggle room (as well as being healthy).

As for bigger exercise - find something you love and do it in amounts that you enjoy. I have a trike that I used to cycle to the supermarket and do the weekly shopping. I have just recently got it back on the road after repairing a crack in the frame, so the weekly shopping trips are back on the go. Cycling that 60lb beast 4 miles to the shop and then 4 miles back carrying its own weight in groceries buys me about 600 extra calories for a Friday night treat, plus I love every minute of it - but I would go mad trying to do the same amount of time on an exercise bike in the gym. It's all about what you enjoy, and what fits in your life.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    CI must be less than CO to create weight loss. Specifically, a person needs to consume (CI) 3500 fewer calories than they use (CO) to lose one pound.

Holding a person's current diet and activity level steady and then adjusting variables...
    * Food alone can create that imbalance. So, eating less than they had been.
    * Physical activity alone can. Moving more than they had been.
    * A combo can. Eating less and moving more.

The "best" method depends on the individual.

Many, for example, find exercise alone less effective because it increases their appetite so they eat more calories. If they eat enough to balance their CI and CO, then no weight loss. Even worse if they eat more than their CO can afford!

Personally, my appetite doesn't increase proportionally with my CO. I can burn an extra 300 calories a day and have an increased appetite of only 100 calories, if even that. So I easily drop weight when I increase my physical activity (even when I'm not carrying extra weight and don't want to lose any.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that if someone's eating far more calories than her physical activity can reasonably match, then those calories MUST go down to achieve a CICO equilibrium at a healthy weight. CO just can't balance out an exorbitant amount of CI. Not everyone is overweight because of this type of imbalance though.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Exercise does not induce weight loss...if it did, people trying to maintain their weight who exercise/train on the regular would simply wither away.

Weight loss is all about the right CICO balance, absolutely.

I think it's misleading though to say exercise doesn't induce weight loss. ? If CO increases and CI holds steady, then there's going to be weight loss. The people you mention are increasing their CI to compensate, so no weight loss.

I mean, you could say calorie restriction doesn't induce weight loss with the same reasoning. If you take an active person and reduce their CI but also reduce their CO proportionally, then they too aren't going to lose weight.

The relationship between the two is what matters, and changes to either end *can* cause weight loss/gain.

• mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of those people who just can't separate out health and weight loss. I exercise for an hour (give or take) a day to sustain weight loss. It is more than just the "CO" part of "CICO" that a lot of people throw out. It helps your mood, which, if one eats for emotional reasons, can be extremely beneficial. It gives you an energy boost and can help control your appetite. Weight bearing exercise and strength training helps you to not lose so much muscle mass when you are eating at a caloric deficit which is a great thing! I just wouldn't lose weight without a decent exercise program to go with your dietary changes. But that's just me.
  • durstybritt
    durstybritt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of those people who just can't separate out health and weight loss. I exercise for an hour (give or take) a day to sustain weight loss. It is more than just the "CO" part of "CICO" that a lot of people throw out. It helps your mood, which, if one eats for emotional reasons, can be extremely beneficial. It gives you an energy boost and can help control your appetite. Weight bearing exercise and strength training helps you to not lose so much muscle mass when you are eating at a caloric deficit which is a great thing! I just wouldn't lose weight without a decent exercise program to go with your dietary changes. But that's just me.

This.

Exercise is important. You can lose weight without it, but you're going to have a lot of saggy skin/your overall health will not be great.

• Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    you lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit, MFP already gives you one
    Excersize as much as you want to.

Yes but the MFP system incorporates exercise as an option for creating a calorie deficit. It does that by increasing the calories that can be eaten according to the calories that were burned. So some people could conceivably create their deficit in MFP by eating their same CI and adding in exercise. The lower the deficit the person chose to construct, the easier it is to do this.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If I had to put numbers to this, I'd say it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Why people stress diet over exercise (and rightly so) is that you can lose weight by tracking you calories (diet) and knowing how many you burn without exercise, but you probably won't lose weight by doing a lot of exercising with no knowledge of your calories. So many come on here asking why they are not losing weight when they are hitting the gym 6 days a week and working their *kitten* off. But when asked about their diet, it turns out that they have started eating more because they are hungry from all the exercising and are not in a calorie deficit.

So set you stats up, don't be too aggressive on the weight loss goal (start at 1 lb a week) and don't overdue the exercises to the point of hurting yourself. As @teabea said above, try to do the same amount you think you would be doing if you were at your goal weight.

• Chunkahlunkah
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If I had to put numbers to this, I'd say it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.

This ubiquitous statement is such a pet peeve of mine. :D

Good points otherwise though. ;) What I'm hearing in your 2nd paragraph is the importance of being aware. Knowing one's CI and CO (or, at lest getting as close to knowing those numbers as our imperfect tools allow).

I agree that's very helpful.

But I think people can take different strategies from that point, using purely CI or purely CO or a mix to lose and maintain. It really depends on the individual which method is best for weight management.

Saying it's 80% diet seems to say that diet is 80% responsible for a person's weight. But it's a two part formula. Both are equally important for creating a balance that results in a specific weight. I think some people throw the equation out of whack primarily with food (greatly overeat), some primarily with activity (way too inactive), and others with a mixture of the two. Correcting the equation depends on what's wrong with it in the first place.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    For me it tends to be around 40-60 in favor of evercise.

Everyone has to find their own combination to make their equation work. I get impatient with generalizations like "weight loss is in the kitchen; exercise is for health." For many people, the CI component is more important; but everyone is different.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    @Chunkahlunkah your posts are hitting the nail on the head.