Slimming the lower body?

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I know you cannot spot reduce.

I know people are genetically engineered to carry weight in different locations and you can't always fight genetics.

But I REALLY hate my lower body. I carry my weight in my hips, thighs, and butt. I don't mind having a big bootie, but the thighs...those I wish I could slim down.

Currently, I do a combo of kickboxing, step aerobics, and treadmill/stair climber intervals for my cardio. I do lower body weights about 2-3 times a week-usually either using free weights with various lunges and squats, and using a bar for side lifts, dead lifts etc. Or I will do a DVD that is lower body conditioning using body weight.

Does any one have any ideas on anything else that might help slim this area or make it look more toned? I do belong to a gym so I have those facilities available to me....

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Try spinning if your gym has it . It has made a difference in my legs big time. I still have some saddle bags but I am genetically inclined to carry my weight there. Also, running is really good and swimming if you can stand the boredom of it! ( my kids are competitive swimmers so I'm around swimmers all the time and dang, they have great legs and small butts!)
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Same here.....all my weight is on the bottom! Upper body is now an XS-S but my lower body is still M-L! I would LOVE an answer on this one!:grumble:
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am fuller in my hips, thighs, butt, too. I found that Pilates and Yoga have been helpful, probably because these exercises focus on lengthening muscles. But if you are like me, your fat stores work best down low which is the healthiest place to store fat. When you get close to your ideal weight, that area will become more proportionate.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I would really focus of doing excerises that arent lose intense on the legs because then you are just going to build massive muscles in your thighs and you are still going to have problems with looking big. I would recommend zumba, pilates, and or yoga. They focus of leaner muscle building.
  • mercyyuen
    mercyyuen Posts: 21
    Options
    If you are at your ideal weight and are extremely unhappy with how your legs look... I guess you could consider saving up for liposuction to reshape your lower body =P That is pretty extreme though!

I also have big chunky thighs and muscular calves. But I am also overweight at the moment. I'm hoping that everything will look better when I lose my weight. My goal isn't to have skinny legs. It's to have strong, tight legs... and thighs that don't jiggle. I've stopped looking at lingerie models for what my legs should look like. Instead, I look at long distance runners... strong muscular legs... that somehow still look nice.

I think to tone the legs, resistance training with your own body weight is the way to go! So it sounds like you are doing the right thing ^_^ But don't be too critical of yourself. It's not your fault that you aren't an airbrushed, computer-touched up celebrity =D
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    keep up with the cardio exercises... circuit training and running are your friends. it's the first place I gain and last place I lose, so I know your plight. Cardio is my answer. I run "a lot" (3-8 miles, 3-4 days a week) and do circuit training, a lot of Jillian's workouts like the Shred and Ripped, and Biggest Winner workouts. It's really helped me slim down my legs and keep things toned without adding bulk.

good luck
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, except the excess fat extends all the way down my legs, including my calves and ankles--the worst place to have weight of ALL. and theres nothing that seems to change this. not even liposuction will make that big a dent down there.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I would really focus of doing excerises that arent lose intense on the legs because then you are just going to build massive muscles in your thighs and you are still going to have problems with looking big. I would recommend zumba, pilates, and or yoga. They focus of leaner muscle building.

That is a VERY misleading false "fact" about weight training. Muscle is more compact then fat and burns more calories at rest. Strength training is VERY beneficial to weight loss and it is VERY hard for women to build bulky muscle unless they are becoming a body builder and even those women admit its hard to gain Bulk in their muscle. I too have chunky thighs, and once the fat comes off they will be on the medium side. And I can leg press 280 lbs :) you are more then welcome to look at my pictures to see. You will also see in the pictures my thighs have shrunk as Ive lost. The closer you are to a goal weight the more important strength training becomes to help tighten everything up. And even if you did manage to buil some muscular "bulk" with a lighter layer of fat that bulk will be a hell of alot sexier then jello thighs
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I should have probably mentioned that I am around my goal weight. I am 5ft 1 and in the healthy range, around between 125-127 lbs depending on TOM. I would be happy to lose another 5-10 lbs but I'm not gonna be devastated if that doesn't happen. I lost 30 lbs in the last year and worked hard for that. So now I'm at that toning up stage, but I also know I tend to be a perfectionist so I am trying to stay balanced :-)