The "I want a six pack" group!!

Options

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group! I need a push to get me to where I want to be. Right now I have "girl stomach". Not flabby... but not killer abs either... I need to lose about 5 pounds for real definition. Time to go work for it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Scheduled 6 weeks with a PT today . . . hoping to have an *kitten* you could bounce a quarter off of and a 6 pack by the end of August!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hell's yeah I want a six pack!

As to correct methodology, I'd direct kids here:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=1714

Another forum, mediated directly by a highly respected member of the fitness community.

Long story short, you need to have a low BF%, seems to be at most 12%, usually lower.
    You also need to work your abs JUST LIKE YOU WOULD ANY OTHER GROUP.
    In other words, if you want to make them bigger, low volume, high weight. Planks and the like are awesome for your core, but the core ain't what'll be popping out your shirt!

Good luck to everyone here!
  • Bikeminx
    Bikeminx Posts: 51
    Options
    I would love to join this group! I need a push to get me to where I want to be. Right now I have "girl stomach". Not flabby... but not killer abs either... I need to lose about 5 pounds for real definition. Time to go work for it!

God I wish i only had 5 lbs to go! That will shift off you in no time I'm sure of it! Keep us updated!!
  • Bikeminx
    Options
    Hell's yeah I want a six pack!

As to correct methodology, I'd direct kids here:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=1714

Another forum, mediated directly by a highly respected member of the fitness community.

Long story short, you need to have a low BF%, seems to be at most 12%, usually lower.
    You also need to work your abs JUST LIKE YOU WOULD ANY OTHER GROUP.
    In other words, if you want to make them bigger, low volume, high weight. Planks and the like are awesome for your core, but the core ain't what'll be popping out your shirt!

Good luck to everyone here!

That's great advice thank you! I did read something once about the importance of working the opposite muscle group and of balance so don't forget that back! :D
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm in!

I have no idea what my bf is ATM and not sure where to get it measured adequately.

I currently have a flat stomach and a little ab definition but I know ive got plenty of fat to lose.

Feel free to add me ab buddies
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This was my goal too... I'm almost there ;) They say abs are made in the kitchen... I would agree! I eat right and do intense cardio but I would also admit I'm genetically inclined towards a lean midsection too. As far as ab exercises, I second the comment about planks. I'd do those before crunches. However to be honest, I don't do abs as regularly as I should. If I have extra time I throw in a few exercises but I don't focus on them like the other muscle groups. I actually get a good ab workout doing Zumba! I really think it's more about diet, getting lean, and genetics myself.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This was my goal too... I'm almost there ;) They say abs are made in the kitchen... I would agree! I eat right and do intense cardio but I would also admit I'm genetically inclined towards a lean midsection too. As far as ab exercises, I second the comment about planks. I'd do those before crunches. However to be honest, I don't do abs as regularly as I should. If I have extra time I throw in a few exercises but I don't focus on them like the other muscle groups. I actually get a good ab workout doing Zumba! I really think it's more about diet, getting lean, and genetics myself.

*like!*

=D
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm doing some interval training today on my run to slim down, then I'll be doing the P90X ab routine. I can't say I follow the P90X workout plan or anything, but darned if I don't love the ab workout. Anyone have any good additions to this workout for the day?
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I'd like to have one as well. I've been running for a few months now to stabilize my core. I'm also doing anywhere between 100 and 200 crunches a day. Have tried any specific ab programs, but would be interested in seeing what people have to say about them.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I want a six pack! I do abs at least 3x a week and then alternate between all other other parts + lots of interval running. I also keep sugar to a minimum (only with my morning coffee .. but trying to get into no sugar just milk).

I heard doing crunches on an exercise ball is really good because it causes you to stretch out your abs before contracting them. I also do the ball pass (between arms & legs while laying on your back), planks (regular & side planks), leg lifts, bicycle (on a raised surface) and boxing.

What ab workouts has everyone else added to their routine that they think has really helped?
  • bmarq21
    bmarq21 Posts: 45
    Options
    I've been wanting a "six pack' forever! I was close to it after track season but then me and food became best friends and u can tell the rest lol. But I'm on a quest to get my six pack!!!
  • Bikeminx
    Options
    Womens fitness had a good article on how to get a flat stomach that I read a couple days ago. I'll post up some of the tips tomorrow for you guys
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Count me in, but I'm starting to get the idea that I'm genetically unable to get a real manly six pack goin'. I even have a "V" in my abs right now and I'm sitting at 13% body fat... and see slight definition for a potential 4-pack... but still no 6 pack. I think I only have a couple more pounds to go before I'll know for sure.

If anyone has amazing ab exercises they do that are unique and kill the abs, I'd love to hear 'em... I feel like I've tried a bit of everything... and strength is not the issue... very very strong abs, just no stinkin' 6 pack!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    been a while since anybody posted here, you are probably all too ripped to bother coming back here anymore...

my goal for being on this site it to get a six pack so lend me your wisdom

what do you all think of pilates mat classes? seems to me like they should be able to help a lot since it is all core and ab work, the one at my gym is really tough, i can never make it through the workouts which is frustrating. i am in good shape for most things but in that i gas out at times and wondering if i should do something else to get me in shape for that class.

i am doing a marathon in october and possibly one in december, do you think i can get a six pack while also doing my marathon training?

here is my weekly workout routine. i hadnt really committed to some of the aspects of this routine until a couple weeks ago so i cant say what the results are yet. also, i have kids and cant really squezze any thing else in to my schedule but i could subsittute if it takes up the same amount of time.

m- yoga (1 hr) & rowing (10 min)

t yoga (1 hr) & intervals (running - 3-4 miles of sprints, with rest, warm up and cool down time takes 45 min)

w bike (90-100 minutes)

r pilates (1 hr) & tempo run (40-60 min)

f pilates (1 hr) & row (10 min)

sat long run (2 hour)

sun surfing (1-2 hrs) sometimes leisurely bike ride with the family

until after the marathon's the parts that are negotiable are the rowing machine & the pilates classes, would you substitute something for either of those?

thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind everyone, that cardio will not create abs. Strength training is the only method to acquire them. Also, weight doesn't matter either, it's all about low body fat. In fact, i know several men and woman who gained 10 lbs so they can decrease their body fat and get abs. In fact, I gained 7 lbs over the past few months and I see more ab definition than ever.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm doing some interval training today on my run to slim down, then I'll be doing the P90X ab routine. I can't say I follow the P90X workout plan or anything, but darned if I don't love the ab workout. Anyone have any good additions to this workout for the day?

I would suggest just to follow the program. There is a lot of core training in there which helps. Also, just make sure you don't over work your abs. It only will cause water retention by doing so.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Well, its been about a month since I said that I was starting to see some definition... Since then, I've learned TONS about the whole topic.

First, a 6 pack is created by your diet, not your working out. (as long as you are working your abs). I do ab/core HIIT work twice a week and destroy them during that time while allowing them to rest the other days. Body fat is key. Depending on your genetics, a guy probably needs to have 10% body fat or lower to see good definition. I'm at about 11% right now. Having a solid lifting routine where the core is worked will get body fat down. This should include complex resistance training where more than 1 muscle group is worked (even if the goal of the exercise is a specific muscle group).

Last, here's a copy and paste I did in another thread. Its not all of them, but its a few of the exercises I do during my HIIT ab/core circuit:
    A chin up bar and doing hanging leg or knee raises. THE BEST and probably the most tiring ab exercise you'll do. You can also do sit-ups on an decline bench. There's just TONS you can do w/ abs. Twice a week, I do a core/ab HIIT circuit and it probably involves about 5-8 different core exercises at high intensity. Anyways, here are a few links of stuff I do:

Not sure what this is called, but most gyms have this equipment:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6d3AeNJUw&feature=related (other than the fact that this chick needs to put some clothes on while at the gym, this is a very good exercise)

Hanging Knee/Leg Raises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clwR5KpEoWA

Hanging Leg Raises w/ Windshield Wipers (took me a good 3-4 wks to be able to do this)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0naOASvxJX8&feature=related

Russian Twist w/ Medicine Ball (can do without ball if you're just getting started)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOXAw5qjgI

Side Plank Oblique Crunches (or any variation of a plank position)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJA332bfs0&feature=related
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I would add is that, although having a six pack is great, if you're a guy, please be sure you already have a decent amount of beef on your frame before you try to shred down to 10% in the quest for abz. This would be especially true for 'skinny-fat' dudes. I've seen too many people just spin their wheels forever at the gym, lifting weights and doing cardio while under a caloric deficit (myself included!).