Vegan Guidence

Would really love a Vegan diet / nutrition guide. Help?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Check out Dr. Greger, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. Neal Barnard. They have books and recipes online, plus videos on youtube for free. As far as online resources, try the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and Nutrition Facts, Dr. Greger's website.
  • jimcretton
    jimcretton Posts: 3 Member
    Don't forget Dr. McDougall.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Would really love a Vegan diet / nutrition guide. Help?

Before you get a reasoned answer is ask whether you're just looking at exploring veganism, or whether you're already vegan or vegetarian? It's also useful to understand why you're interested in veganism? That helps inform how strict you want to be.

Personally I wouldn't support the PCRM recommendation, the diet plans are very weak.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina is the best guide to veganism I've ever read (and I've read several). The authors are evidence-based RDs who are both long-time vegans and they provide details on appropriate vegan diets for different lifestyles/stages of life, as well as including sample meal guides. I would recommend it above some of the other resources listed above because Norris and Messina don't advocate additional unnecessary restrictions beyond veganism (such as limiting fat).
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm a 5 year veteran of Dr. Fuhrman, meaning I've actually TRIED the lifestyle instead of deciding it's "weak." (whatever that means...) I would highly recommend Eat To Live, or the Forks Over Knives lifestyle, based on my improved health following it. I got started with "Diet For A Small Planet" -- great book -- and have been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Whatever your reasons for going vegetarian or vegan, it is a step by step process. It's really a lifestyle change, not just a diet. Just start small and go from there.
  • Anithen
    Anithen Posts: 5 Member
    My diary is public, if you want to check out how vegan meal plans.

Take care!