100 pound loss now maintenance

Options
Just began maintenance after loosing 100 pounds. Is it normal to gain a few pounds first week on maintenance? I have stayed within calorie allotment and still exercising, but gained 2 pounds. I know it may be gone next week just curious what others experienced.

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate. Usually the scale can tell me that I'll gain 5 pounds within a week, but it disappears quickly with additional weight loss on top. Great job though! Keep at it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I suggest you set a 5-10 lb maintenance range because weight naturally fluctuates. This is more obvious during maintenance than while losing, especially if you're not a daily weigher. When you get to the top of the range, return to a 250-500 cal deficit until you get back to mid-range.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It is probably just your glycogen stores coming back.

The problem I noticed about going to maintainance is that you kinda have to play a game of adding and subtracting calories until you find that sweet spot.

If you still lose add 100 calories and wait a month. If you are still losing add more.

The other way is the same if you gain subtract 100 calories and wait. So on and so forth.

If you have any other questions you can hit me up here [edited by MFP Mods]
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gain coming off a deficit but I also tend to have a small deficit and don't go low carb.

It's certainly not an unusual phenomena though. My advice would be not to react to it and just see where you are after a few weeks. You will also need time to work out what is your personal and natural range of weight fluctuations day to day or even month to month.

Congrats on that amazing weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs and have been in maintenance since June. From the beginning I was careful about how many calories I added. As previous posters mentioned, I also added 100 calories a day, waited a week or two to see how my body reacted, then added more if I was still losing. If weight stayed the same, I kept calories at that level until my body adapted and I started losing again. It takes time for our bodies to adapt to a higher intake. Congratulations on your success!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, welcome. Yes, that's totally normal, it takes some time to dial in your calorie goal.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You have to look at your weight Trend once you go into maintenance over a couple months. What you have to remember is the NFP guidelines are generic and everybody's going to be a little different. Maintenance is a learning process it was for me I started maintenance at 2:20 root it up and my way drop down to a current 208 it's something you have to figure out.

As far as maintaining what you have to remember is your body weight is never going to be a constant number it's going to vary and fluctuate. I have access to scales at work and I've done it at it curiosity and a learning process my weight has fluctuated by as much as four pounds in one day but when I do it over a period of a couple months I'm at a range of approximately 208. Remember what you eat is going to affect your weight and how it retains water and if you're working out and you have a real tough workout your body is going to retain water also to help the muscles heal themselves so don't get fixated on a certain number give yourself arrange maybe 5 pounds either way to use as your maintenance