Do you think it's better to workout alone or with someone

Options
I started the Insanity dvd a few days ago and I think i've been doing fairly well, but idk if I would be more motivated if i did it with someone or whether I should continue to do it alone. Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do both - a morning workout alone and an evening run with friends. it is SO much better to workout with friends! We are able to hold eachother accountable and if I don't want to run, they make me! It's fantastic!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This is totally a personal preference. I prefer to work out alone because I have no one to compare myself to. I either slow down because they are "worse" than me or injure myself trying to keep up because they are "better" than me. plus I enjoy the alone time.
  • kiminoo
    kiminoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it is about your personal preference. I love classes at the gym because I get motivated with everyone else and their energy. However, I like running alone best-- I can think and also go the pace I like. Try it out different ways and you'll find your style.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Working out with someone makes it harder to quit when I just don't feel like doing it. But make sure that person's not slower than you, nor too fast!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Depends on if the person you are working out with is pushing your or dragging you down. (you want the first person and to throw the second to the curb)
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like going to the gym by myself, enjoy the evening dog walk by myself but i do have a friend i go on longer, faster walks with so i do both. Think its a total personal choice
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If my husband weren't working out with me, I'd probably slack off a lot more... and likely the reverse is true. :smile: In person motivators simply rock.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I do both - a morning workout alone and an evening run with friends. it is SO much better to workout with friends! We are able to hold eachother accountable and if I don't want to run, they make me! It's fantastic!
    Me too - even cardio - there is a guy in a different office who comes to our office gym to work out, I've moved back to doing some cardio with him in the afternoon because I found myself doing more with him just having him beside me - he also commented he missed me because he's doing 45 minutes with me but only 30 without ;) so apparently it DOES help...

For strength, there is a totally buff guy at the gym who is super cool who throws out motivation the whole time I'm working out - that makes me work even harder because I think - If HE thinks I'm doing well.. Then maybe I'll look like him one day lol
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Depends on the other person. Sometimes that person can hold you back while others will motivate you.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I enjoy group classes as long as I can be in the front row so I can see the instructor and the more seasoned class-goers.
    At home I work out alone which is fine. I wouldn't mind a buddy as long as they can stick with it. I workout in front of my husband sometimes too, but he sits on the computer doing his own thing.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out alone. Yes sometimes the other person could motivate you to work out harder than you normally would by yourself. But the opposite is true also, they could slow you down.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I like to work out alone, even when taking classes i dont pay much attention to anyone but the instructor.

I tend to go into a 'zone' and don't like to be disturbed
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Personally, I work out by myself, but I'm also motivated by the teams I play for.

When other people depend on me to put in the work in order to play well, it motivates me greatly!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I like to do insamity alone--because I have to grunt and sweat,,and I like to run alone because I am so slow....but I love to ride bikes with friends and family...that is fun fun fun
  • dhmorrow
    dhmorrow Posts: 7
    Options
    Like most things, it's a personal preference. Of course, the trick is being honest with yourself. That's what gets most people: being honest enough to put themselves in a position where they are accountable and where they are not putting up barriers to success.

Personally, after starting a stopping a number of programs over the years, I recently started Insanity with my wife. We are up at 7:00 or 7:30 am every morning, regardless of how much our girls kept us up! No excuses, push play, and do your best. Doing this with her brings a level of accountability that I didn't have before, as well as the camaraderie and support that can get you through the toughest parts.

melizerd is a great example of how this is a personal preference. She prefers to go it alone so she is not influenced one way or another by a partner. In my case, I like having my wife there keeping an eye on me because it pushes me to bring my best all the time. But since it is my wife and not some gym rat or even a guy friend, I am not tempted to take it further than I can safely go in order to keep up or impress. So, it's worth noting that it's not only about having a partner, but the right partner.

Anyways, keep up the Insanity! It's an awesome workout.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Depends on the other person. Sometimes that person can hold you back while others will motivate you.
    What he said.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I do it by myself. Occasionally "with" my brother - which means he sits and watches me do DVDs or EA Active to make sure I'm doing it and doing it right.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a loner when it comes to working out (in the traditional sense). I of course have to work out with other people when I am playing basketball!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find I become too reliant on others, if they need to miss a day I miss it etc... especially with a routine it throws you off. For keep at it I think its easier to find a time in your schedule to make sure you stay consistent
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to work out alone. It's "my time". I get to be alone w/ my own thoughts, etc. But I do like to check in with others about what they are doing! I like going for walks or hikes both alone and with friends.