Need more inexpensive protein with MULTIPLE allergies.

Options
I have been instructed (by my doctors, yes that is plural) to up my protein intake as I am not only losing weight but also an active chemo patient. Easy enough, yes?

No.

I am lactose intolerant, have allergies to eggs, fish and a few more we haven't identified yet (wheat is next on the elimination rotation). I am also trying to manage this while feeding a family of 4 with a grocery budget of $300-400 per month.

I am looking for affordable protein sources I may not have thought of yet. Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork, chicken, and beans would be a good place to start. You might also look at supplementing your diet with a vegan protein powder. Finally, check out this thread. The OP included a pretty extensive list of protein sources, ranked by protein content.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Beans are a really cheap protein source. Most legumes in general are decent sources of protein. So try nuts and seeds, and nut and seed butters.

Also chicken. Canned chicken is also easy to make chicken salad, and I always check out the sale meats, the ones that they mark down on the sell by date, and grab one if its something I can use. I got a pack of boneless chicken thighs the other day. Can you handle yogurt? Or is it too much lactose? Some of those are protein fortified.

Oh and gelatin.
  • csmallrdh
    csmallrdh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you opposed to a shake for protein? I am dairy free and only use vegan proteins that are of higher quality. Pretty inexpensive. About $1 ish a scoop for 25g of protein per serving. I use as a shake or even added to oatmeal. I have suggestions if you are interested.
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats have good protein and fiber which can help with constipation.

My newest protein powder is Primal Fuel Chocolate Coconut by Primal Kitchen. Pretty simple ingredients and a 2lb tub is $30 on Amazon. I also like Vega Sport, but there are some extra ingredients like BCAA's that you may want to chat with your oncology pharmacist about.

Black beans are good, but it's possible you could have difficulty with digestion. Try a small amount and see how it goes. Chicken is awesome for protein! Cook up a bunch and freeze them.

Avoid lunch meats and soft cheeses.

Hope this helps!
  • Genlisae
    Genlisae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CafeRacer808 Thank you, especially for the link, very helpful.

cmtigger: Sadly yogurt is a no-go for me. I hadn't thought of canned meats. That could be workable and gelatin! I could put gelatin in a lot of things. Thanks

csmallrdh: I am not opposed to protein shakes. I have been hunting for an affordable protein powder that does not contain artificial sweeteners. No luck so far. I may head to my local Bulk Barn tomorrow and see what they have for single ingredient protein powders (If they have them, I hope they have them). Thank you.

Kib13: Black beans added to the list (for antioxidant as well!) I will check out Primal Fuel as well. Thanks.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't think gelatin has protein in it but I could be wrong.
    Quinoa is a source of protein and generally ok for people with wheat intolerance. Are you able to eat nuts? And you can buy soya based yoghurt,or lactose free yoghurt,though it's not cheap!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't think gelatin has protein in it but I could be wrong.
    Quinoa is a source of protein and generally ok for people with wheat intolerance. Are you able to eat nuts? And you can buy soya based yoghurt,or lactose free yoghurt,though it's not cheap!
    Gelatin is extracted from bones. You can buy both pork and beef gelatins made specifically for protein supplementation.
    You can also get versions of gelatin that no longer gel that can be used in cold water.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that although it contains amino acids,it's not a " complete" protein. Still ,if the op can't tolerate lactose based shakes then gelatin is probably a good substitute
  • aaoch1
    aaoch1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ground pork is often much cheaper than beef and is delicious in chili, meatballs, lasagna, tacos, etc. Also, higher fat ground beef is cheaper than the very lean stuff. Chicken thighs cost less than breasts, and quarters or halves are cheaper yet. Dried beans are cheaper (and healthier) than canned. Canned fish sometimes goes on a big sale, and you can stock up. Hot dogs are cheap, especially on sale. All meats can be bought when they are discounted and frozen for later use. I spent several years feeding a family of 6 on a limited budget, and those were some of the proteins I bought all the time. Good luck with everything ❤️
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Is all fish a no-go or can you do seafood? Shrimp is like 22g of protein for 4oz - I don't buy often but when it's on sale
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Buy large pack chicken when it's on sale. You can repackage it into recipe-sizes and freeze, then prepare it in a variety of ways that kids will eat. Skinless, it's a good source of lean protein. (Also, I second beans as a very inexpensive protein source.)

(Best of luck with your chemo. You might ask if your hospital has a nutritionist--particularly one with experience in oncology. Mine did, and she was incredibly helpful.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look for Pure Whey Protein Isolate at Bulk Barn.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oops, tofu!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241709/baked-tofu/

You don't need to use agave nectar. Use honey or even brown sugar.
  • Anithen
    Anithen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lentils are about 18 grams of protein per cup, cooked. You can make a massive pot all at once in less than hour. Super cheap, too.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Chick peas, lentils, tofu, broccoli, peas.

If you find out you can have wheat you could have tempeh or seitan