Daily Weight Check- In Surprisingly Helpful

Options
I started my new weight loss journey on 3 Dec. Little by little I am actually losing pretty good. Along with my excitement for noticeable progress, I began to weigh in the morning after using the restroom. In the back of my mind I could hear the voices of those that told me it's a bad idea to weigh daily because our weight fluctuates throughout the day. But that doesn't bother me, in fact it helps me because since I am constantly in tune with what my weight is, It is influencing me to make better (not perfect) food choices. Being a women that at one time could not stand my own reflection, let along look at my weight on a scale......I am making progress....finally. We must all do whatever works for us

Replies

• TheFrostyCanuck
    TheFrostyCanuck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use Happy Scale. It p*sses me off when I gain a lb over night but I know it's not a pound of fat so I just dust off and carry on. Agreed on how it makes us make better food choices that day though!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Lots of people weigh daily. For me it helps me watch the downward progression, even if I am up a little sometimes.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily. For me it really does help to see the fluctuations and be able to figure out what causes them. I use libra on my phone and I also have my fitbit linked to trendweight.com. It helps to be able to see the trend and know you are on track even when you have lots of fluctuations.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily and use the happy scale app I started weighing daily on November 1st I love to see my moving average
  • donodree1965
    donodree1965 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going right now to find the Happy scale app. Good luck guys and may the scale be with you.
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    trendweight is great too!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too - it 1) takes away anxiety 2) keeps me accountable.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily but only pay attention to my 5 day average
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Why not just use MFP? Why multiple apps?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    mhoward685 wrote: »
    Why not just use MFP? Why multiple apps?

MFP doesn't really give that good of information on the weight side. No forecasting, no trendlines. Many find it useful to see some of the trends instead of what the actual weigh has been.

I put my weigh into Excel, but just got a new scale that will send to Trendline so I'm trying it out.

It's just a personal choice some people make. Just like whether to weigh daily/weekly/other. It does help a lot of people.

My weight yesterday was ridiculously low so there was no surprise this mornings was up a lb. And I knew and expected that based on watching what my weight does daily.
  • mccain87
    mccain87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to weight myself everyday as well, to see if I have made progress. My problem is that when I think I've done a great job, but the scale tells me otherwise, I get discouraged and end up throwing all of my progress out the window. "I ate healthy for 3 days and still didn't lose weight, I might as well eat whatever I want". Any tips on getting past this hurdle?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    mccain87 wrote: »
    I like to weight myself everyday as well, to see if I have made progress. My problem is that when I think I've done a great job, but the scale tells me otherwise, I get discouraged and end up throwing all of my progress out the window. "I ate healthy for 3 days and still didn't lose weight, I might as well eat whatever I want". Any tips on getting past this hurdle?

It's just a number that changes daily depending on food, waste and water in your body. Ate a salty meal last night? Up 1 or 2 lbs on the scale today due to water retention. Eat a steak and baked potato last night but no poo today? Up on the scale 1 or 2 lbs today. See how that works?

IF you are sticking to your calorie goal logging honestly and accurately you will lose weight. It just won't be in a straight line down nor as fast as you want it.

Eating healthy is one thing but eating in a calorie deficit is what makes the weight come off.

Hope this helps!!
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    mccain87 wrote: »

"The obstacle is the way. "If you eat healthy for three days and still didn't lose weight, nothing has happened. It's three days. It's meaningless. (I track everyday, but to keep an eye on week to week trends, to avoid the noise caused by the possibility of weighing myself on an outlier day).

Continue to eat healthy while controlling calorie intake. This is what solves the problem of not losing weight. You don't need to feel motivated or passionate, or never dejected or disappointed at the scale, or never frustrated or bored, - you just need to not give in to "I might as well eat whatever I want", it's what made you need to do this in the first place.

Also, allowing yourself a (controlled!) intake of chocolate bars and alcohol and your ma's best custard cake is good for adherence, so long as your nutrition is good and you control your overall calories.

Above all, do not rely on the scale being lower every time you measure, or having changed within a given 3 day period. This is an impossible expectation. All or nothing is an impossible expectation, and people can do great things without needing to fulfil impossibilities.

(I'm doing PSMF which is very intensive dieting with rapid loss and sometimes the weight on my scale gets higher. So what? So long as I keep doing my part, so what? The weight will follow me doing my duty in controlling a calorie deficit as surely as night follows day. The scale can show its hand over time.) Expect the overall trend line to go down over the weeks/months. When you stall for several weeks or months, that's when you dig in a little harder and cut calories. Dig in and do your duty and don't rely on impossible expectations. You can control your calories. You can't control every variation in your body over every 3 day period.