Do you think it's better to workout alone or with someone

Options

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This is totally a personal preference. I prefer to work out alone - and trust me, it's a service to humanity that no one see me flopping around like a beached whale. :) Seriously though, I am accountable to me and me only and this is my goal, my effort and no one else's.

I do take a very small yoga class (think a max of 5-6 people) from time to time. The instructor is a personal trainer, so I really feel like I'm in a 1-1 PT session instead of a group fitness class.

Last time we were in yoga, the instructor made a point that Type A personalities need to quit competing with other people in the room - and she was looking squarely at me. And I know for a fact I do that. Funny how I have this perspective of self-accountability but still feel like I have to compare myself with others. This is why 90% of my workout is alone. Plus, I'd feel HORRIBLE if I found I were holding someone back (that would be the case, not the other holding me back).
  • Michi63
    Michi63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like to work out with someone else at the gym but if I am home, I like to work out by myself:flowerforyou:

SW: 183
    GW: 150
    CW: 183

Two days in!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone. My husband often interrupts (ie smacking my butt while I'm doing a downward facing dog) and I get angry with him. I just want to be left alone so I can focus on me and not be distracted by other people.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started P90X this month. I am surprised to learn that I work out harder/better when I do the DVDs alone. A) i can get them done on my time, not having to wait til he gets home from work and B) i get annoyed with his workout techniques and grunting/breathing/taking up the entire living room while I am stuck in a corner/sliver of the room trying to do lunges with my 6' tall legs.....(phew...that felt good to rant/get out! haha)

I love to run by myself and couldnt imagine being a good, efficient runner while trying to keep up with/wait for a friend.

I really thought the P90X program would work out GREAT as a team effort. I love that he is doing the DVDs on the same day I do them...but it helps when we dont actually do them in the same room at the same time. haha
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started P90X this month. I am surprised to learn that I work out harder/better when I do the DVDs alone. A) i can get them done on my time, not having to wait til he gets home from work and B) i get annoyed with his workout techniques and grunting/breathing/taking up the entire living room while I am stuck in a corner/sliver of the room trying to do lunges with my 6' tall legs.....(phew...that felt good to rant/get out! haha)

That made me crack up!!! I'm always picking at him "you need to straighten your back leg" "go lower on your squat babe!" etc lol. I prob drive him crazy. But oh boy, when he dishes it back "you're not going deep on your push ups" I reply "YES I AM!!!". So much fun!!!

We are going in our 3rd phase today of p90x. I am soo happy we did it together. There is NO way I would had been disciplined enough to make it out of the 1st month! We have saved each other many times from not feeling like its to wanting to go eat out rescues! I'm glad he's there to support me and tell me I'm doing well.

Sometime this past week we had yoga for 2nd time (yawn) and we both were not feeling it. So we started to wrestle instead.. now THAT was fun!! Then there are the cat poses and my husband will literally get up from his pose and come hump me!!! TMI I know!!!

Awwwww I just got warm fuzzies!!! :flowerforyou:

If I weren't doing it with him, I'd love to do it with a friend!!
  • bmarq21
    bmarq21 Posts: 45
    Options
    thanks for the responses everyone!! I think i'm going continue to do the Insanity dvd alone but i'm going to try running with friends to see if it motivates me to run faster and/or longer!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That made me crack up!!! I'm always picking at him "you need to straighten your back leg" "go lower on your squat babe!" etc lol. I prob drive him crazy. But oh boy, when he dishes it back "you're not going deep on your push ups" I reply "YES I AM!!!". So much fun!!!

This is SO me and my husband. LOLOLOL.
  • La_Amazona
    Options

I just edited to add more.. it's hilarious when I think of it but he pisses me off when he critiques me!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Time goes faster when I'm with someone, but I typically push harder by myself. Unless it's a race, then I pull out all the stops. :smile:
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Call me the Lone Ranger. Do not like depending on someone elses schedule.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I guess it depends on what I'm doing.
    I like working out with someone when I'm going to a gym - it gives me the motivation to actually get in the car to drive to my university's gym & meet my friend there. Having someone there also helps me work out for longer & not cheat myself on distance & time goals that I pre-set for myself.

However, when I'm doing a workout DVD/Wii Fit at home, I'd rather do it by myself in my own home.
  • VanceMobileFitness
    Options
    I teach a boot camp class and I workout with them. I have to say it's fun to compete with others. At the same time, I lift weights on my own, but wish I had a training partner for that...
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I just edited to add more.. it's hilarious when I think of it but he pisses me off when he critiques me!

Oh yeah... not so funny at the time, "Damn it, I'm not squishing my boobs into the floor!" from me, "My knees ARE behind my toes, wench!" from him... but once the work out is over... Laugh time!
  • La_Amazona
    Options

Oh yeah... not so funny at the time, "Damn it, I'm not squishing my boobs into the floor!" from me, "My knees ARE behind my toes, wench!" from him... but once the work out is over... Laugh time!

Haha, one time he pissed me off so much I walked off. Said F U to him and Tony!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It's up to the person but, if you're competitive than it could be fun to try and push/out do each other. I've done both with and without a workout partner. I prefer to work out alone because I can keep going at my own pace which is usually faster and heavier than my workout buddies.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've done both ways and found it totally depends on your work-out partner. I personally need a work-out partner who's got the same goals and is willing to face a challenge. Former work-out partners have been less reliable on both fronts so I depended on myself for a long time. The really great part of having a good work-out partner is that it helps the time go by REALLY fast and keeps me accountable. My little gym buddy is like my personal Jillian Michaels and I'm the same to her when she needs it.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you work out with someone make sure they will be supportive. There is nothing worse than some helpful soul telling you
    you're doing it all wrong and "you'll never lose weight that way"!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    This is totally a personal preference. I prefer to work out alone because I have no one to compare myself to. I either slow down because they are "worse" than me or injure myself trying to keep up because they are "better" than me. plus I enjoy the alone time.

I'm the same way
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to work out alone. It's "my time". I get to be alone w/ my own thoughts, etc. But I do like to check in with others about what they are doing! I like going for walks or hikes both alone and with friends.

I am the exact same way.. Being the homeschooling mom of 3 kids and working from home, my workouts and runs are my time to clear my mind and think... When I am running alone I don't here mama a single time...:) I run to get away from my kids and clear my mind.. Once my mind is clear, I remember how much I love and enjoy them and turn around and run back home..:)